Mach 2.8, 26Kft

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More deals please, where do you plan on launching from, what type of recovery system?

No upper Midwest waiver, so at Airfest. Recovery is drogue streamer and Fruity Chutes Iris 36" for HED main. Minimum dimension half/inset-style av-bay utilizing Raven 3 and TeleGPS.

No upper Midwest waiver, so at Airfest. Recovery is drogue streamer and Fruity Chutes Iris 36" for HED main. Minimum dimension half/inset-style av-bay utilizing Raven 3 and TeleGPS.

Looks good, obviously you realized that I meant to say more "details" please and not more deals, darn auto correct on my android. What does she weigh in at and how did you do your fin design, T2T, carbon, retainer, etc.?

Looks good, obviously you realized that I meant to say more "details" please and not more deals, darn auto correct on my android. What does she weigh in at and how did you do your fin design, T2T, carbon, etc.?

2lbs, 4oz total weight. All carbon construction. Fins are high-temp uni-carbon. Fillets Proline 4500 with 3oz carbon reinforcement extending 1/3rd up from root edge.

TeleGPS are cool reliable piece of tracker. Mine didn't like tracking over 60.6 G's.

Out of curiosity, with min diameter HPR builds, are the most accepted ways of securing fins either through carbon/fiberglass, welded, or a fincan?

Out of curiosity, with min diameter HPR builds, are the most accepted ways of securing fins either through carbon/fiberglass, welded, or a fincan?

For commercial motors the majority are either fiberglass or carbon composite construction. We also see metal fins which are bonded to composite body tubes or fin cans attached to composite body tubes.
For high altitude research flights, construction with fins connecting directly to aluminum motor cases are allowed. Most commonly that’s done with special surface preparation and epoxies.
Welding of fins to motor cases has been tried, but warping and other effects of heat must be considered. Mike Fisher (Binder Design) used an interesting approach using a low temperature special zinc alloy solder/brazing compound (https://www.alumaloy.com I think), but I don’t remember how well that turned out.

Steve Shannon

For commercial motors the majority are either fiberglass or carbon composite construction. We also see metal fins which are bonded to composite body tubes or fin cans attached to composite body tubes.
For high altitude research flights, construction with fins connecting directly to aluminum motor cases are allowed. Most commonly that’s done with special surface preparation and epoxies.
Welding of fins to motor cases has been tried, but warping and other effects of heat must be considered. Mike Fisher (Binder Design) used an interesting approach using a low temperature special zinc alloy solder/brazing compound (https://www.alumaloy.com I think), but I don’t remember how well that turned out.

Steve Shannon

Thanks!

Mike Fisher also makes cans in sizes from 38 or 54mm (do not remember if he goes all the way down to 38) all the way up to 6” pipe. Uniquely he will make the can fit directly over the motor case or over a piece of airframe.

I had him build me a custom can for 4.5” aluminum tube I want to make into a semi scale (maybe way standoff scale is a better term) minimum diameter Arcas.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Back