Mac Performance 3" Black Fly 38mm L1 build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I gotcha.

The CTI H123 is a sparky so make sure your field doesn't have a ban due to fire risk, etc. I believe the Aerotech H130 and H123 are similar, but the H130 is non hazmat IIRC. Do you have an onsite motor vendor?

45 ft/s is definitely better and for that the H130 has higher max thrust so it would probably be a better choice for this rocket.

Ok I gotcha.

The CTI H123 is a sparky so make sure your field doesn't have a ban due to fire risk, etc. I believe the Aerotech H130 and H123 are similar, but the H130 is non hazmat IIRC. Do you have an onsite motor vendor?

45 ft/s is definitely better and for that the H130 has higher max thrust so it would probably be a better choice for this rocket.

From what i understand we have an occasional on site vendor and delivery options to launch site. I still need to figure out what i would need to order if i ran an aerotech, i have a list for the CTI already. Here is the sim data foe the aerotech 123/130

IMG_1414.jpg

I like the launch velocities off those. As for hardware needed, it would just be the 38/240 case and closures. I fly CTI and Aerotech, so no bias from me. Another option you could sim is the H152 from CTI, it has a little more initial spike that would get you going fast.

Personally I would look to keep it below 2000 feet, but no real reason for that besides my own cert preference. With a JLCR it really would be a non issue though.

I like the launch velocities off those. As for hardware needed, it would just be the 38/240 case and closures. I fly CTI and Aerotech, so no bias from me. Another option you could sim is the H152 from CTI, it has a little more initial spike that would get you going fast.

Personally I would look to keep it below 2000 feet, but no real reason for that besides my own cert preference. With a JLCR it really would be a non issue though.

Yeah I liked the CTI options cause I can buy the kit that comes with the 3/6 grain cases and spacers from apogee. But I’m not against getting both :)

I have a noob question and I hope the OP doesn't mind me dropping it here as it doesn't warrant a new thread.

Why does the Black Fly kit have a shock cord mount with an epoxied in pin, while other Mac kits use eye bolts on the CR?

More looking for velocity off rod input

From the other side. I am not a subscriber of low and slow for certs. If the concern is if the rocket can handle the velocity then this rocket is a beast for durability and can easily handle the I205. If this is about avoiding adding complexity to your build or flight then that is a moot point as you already plan on using the JLCR.

So it really comes down to velocity and altitude. That being the case then keeping in mind the launch site and tracking are the two factors I would emphasize when deciding motor choice.

And for those interested here is what i plan to do for the front of the shirt.

View attachment 341709

I like!

I have a noob question and I hope the OP doesn't mind me dropping it here as it doesn't warrant a new thread.

Why does the Black Fly kit have a shock cord mount with an epoxied in pin, while other Mac kits use eye bolts on the CR?

first, i dont mind at all! *as to your question i cant answer that with any certainty, but my thought is ..........*

*edited Mike (Mac Performance) answered below

Other than our 3FNC (3 fin nose cone) ALL our kits come with a booster bridal and pin incorporated into the forward centering ring. We were originally using eye bolts on our Avbay bulk plates but are now using S/Steel forged eye nuts.

Count me in, I just ordered a 3" Black Fly yesterday.

Love the design, but what would you think about making the "Join the Swarm" text red, since that color is already used in the graphic? Just a thought, I'm in either way.

Swarm.png

Count me in, I just ordered a 3" Black Fly yesterday.

Love the design, but what would you think about making the "Join the Swarm" text red, since that color is already used in the graphic? Just a thought, I'm in either way.

I can definitely do that for yours specifically or anyone else’s, I plan to do mine in the white since it matches my stuff and its a bit less work, i wouldn’t want to change much else color wise as it starts to be a bit of a pain.

So this happened:

IMG_0088.jpg
IMG_0090.jpg

And tomorrow I start sanding fins after i go surfing. Hoping to get them on by tomorrow evening.

Yeah I liked the CTI options cause I can buy the kit that comes with the 3/6 grain cases and spacers from apogee. But I’m not against getting both :)

If it's a cert flight, you can often get the appropriate CTI case free. Ask your friendly vendor.

Meaning on site vendor? Or a really sweet feeling vendor here on the forums :)

I've gotten that deal from AMW a few times for myself and for students flying L1 and L2 certs. They stopped for a while during the worst of the CTI motor supply problems, but started up again last year. If you have an on-site vendor you'll buy from, ask them in advance just to make sure.

So I did not actually get the fins done today. I marked them for sanding but need to go pick up som higher grit paper. I did however get the nosecone ebay built and finished. I am going to wait till I get a proper weight/cg measurement before I epoxy it into the nose cone , just incase I need to add a different weight. So that will be one of the last things I do.
IMG_1432.jpg
IMG_1433.jpg

Updated post 2 with nosecone/internal fin fillets info/pics. All in all it went smoothly, albeit a little stressful. But damn I’m feeling newbish, and accomplished all at once! I have a bit more i want to finish on it this week, along with some shirts to finish ;) (if i pmed you a link its ready). I will not be around this weekend to work on her, going to my first Tripoli San Diego launch! My goal is to L1 cert with this baby at the May launch.

So I know it's not much of an update but I got the rail buttons on and the aft button nut epoxied on. The forward button I did as far as my 8 year old could reach in the air frame.

Drilling the air frame was by far the most stressful part so far. But no mishaps so awesome

IMG_0332.jpg

So I know it's not much of an update but I got the rail buttons on and the aft button nut epoxied on. The forward button I did as far as my 8 year old could reach in the air frame.

Drilling the air frame was by far the most stressful part so far. But no mishaps so awesome

View attachment 342549

Coming along nicely...next up fillets?

External fillets done. I don't think it looks pretty, but it's done. Next is epoxy the rear CR/tail cone, finish the nose cone, then paint.

First:
IMG_0333.jpg

Last:
IMG_0334.jpg

I used my finger to spread the epoxy. I am ordering my motors and cases on Monday. Settled on the h125 and h152 from CTI.

External fillets done. I don't think it looks pretty, but it's done. Next is epoxy the rear CR/tail cone, finish the nose cone, then paint.

First:
View attachment 342779

Last:
View attachment 342780

I used my finger to spread the epoxy. I am ordering my motors and cases on Monday. Settled on the h125 and h152 from CTI.

I'm guessing you will remove the rail buttons before sanding and painting...?

External fillets done. I don't think it looks pretty

I use the contour sanding blocks from Lee Valley. https://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?p=20183&cat=1,42500

They are much more comfortable to grip for long periods of time and I find them them better than using a dowel for sanding fillets. I mostly use the convex (A) and wedge (B) grips.

The other thing I use for filling the imperfections is the 3M spot/glazing putty.

[video=youtube;Wpqe6qV7Sjs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wpqe6qV7Sjs[/video]

It comes in a relatively small tube and works well, just use it in a well ventilated area. You can pick it up all over the place including the 3M spreader https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BOC9K4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the contour sanding blocks from Lee Valley. https://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?p=20183&cat=1,42500

They are much more comfortable to grip for long periods of time and I find them them better than using a dowel for sanding fillets. I mostly use the convex (A) and wedge (B) grips.

The other thing I use for filling the imperfections is the 3M spot/glazing putty.

[video=youtube;Wpqe6qV7Sjs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wpqe6qV7Sjs[/video]

It comes in a relatively small tube and works well, just use it in a well ventilated area. You can pick it up all over the place including the 3M spreader https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BOC9K4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Awesome! I will be procuring all of that. Thank you very much for passing it along. After going back to the fly this morning I felt much better about the fillets. They are quite even distribution wise and there isn't really any runoff anywhere. With three sets of fillets any thought in my mind about it being a delicate build have been smashed ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back