First time on forum

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grady

Reaction score
First time on forum. Hope this isn't too stupid...
Is it possible to use 4X Black Powder for use in pistols as rocket fuel? Perhaps slow it down with sugar?

First time on forum. Hope this isn't too stupid...
Is it possible to use 4X Black Powder for use in pistols as rocket fuel? Perhaps slow it down with sugar?

Welcome!

Most of this forum is dedicated to commercially produced motors. There is a research section for those who produce their own motors, but to do so legally you need to be Tripoli L2 certified.

4F black powder is often used for parachute ejection charges once you get into electronic deployment, but I don't think it's been used on its own as a fuel. Most commercial motors through D and some E's and F's are pressed black powder, and from then on up all are "composite"- fuel and oxidizer in a plastic binder.

What is your past rocketry experience? Have you flown commercial motors before?

Without getting into details, it is certainly my impression that trying to make your own BP motors is dangerous and crazy. There are much safer ways to do it.

Without getting into details, it is certainly my impression that trying to make your own BP motors is dangerous and crazy. There are much safer ways to do it.

Yes. People die trying to make black powder motors. Besides that, you need to know how to make motor casings, nozzles, forward bulkheads, delay elements ....

Thanks to all of you for replying. Yes, I have made lots of ZnS rockets with paper tubes, kaolin nozzles and bulkheads.
Experimenting now with AP composite, KS fuels. Fugetabout BP!

Welcome to the asylum!!!

You'll find most of the folks here are Ok. However, you'll need to keep motor building conversations in the restricted section, to keep the inmates from totally losing it. :wink:

I have a sneaky suspicion that you and I have crossed paths somewhere else. Ebay or Facebook (possibly both).

Back