• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Estes Pro Series II Leviathan (9700)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfairch

Reaction score
Hello, does anyone have an Estes Leviathan available for sale? I've seen a few of them that are really well done here and elsewhere online and I'd love a chance to build one myself, but being discontinued, they are exceedingly difficult to find.

Also, I am still in search of one or two Estes PSII Ventris rockets that I had mentioned in a previous post.

Thanks everyone! 🚀

Saw one on the shelf at Model Empire in West Allis Wi. the other day....But..they wanted $69.99 for it.

Ouch! While I am glad that the Leviathan is still out there, that is a bit more than I was hoping to spend. I really wish I was building rockets before these beauties were discontinued. 🚀

Sent from my XT1650 using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Its easy to clone, the nose cone off a Big Daddy (still in production), and a T300 tube (1 piece since the Levi has a total airframe length of approx. 32") from Balsa Machining Service along with the CR52H300-W centering rings, and a piece of T52H for the motor mount tube. For the fins all you need is a pattern (somebody here has a fin pattern for this one I bet) and a piece of 1/8" hobby ply from Hobby Lobby/Micheals/Craft Warehouse/ Local Hobby Shop or Midwest (the ply manufacturer). There are no decals for it just a paint scheme. Balsa Machining does sell a T300 NC but its slightly longer than the Big Daddy/Leviathan/Scion nose cone. You may want to pick up a couple of airframe couplers to make an Av-bay if you want to make it dual deploy.
https://www.balsamachining.com/#

Last edited:
I hadn't thought of cloning it. I was going to with the Ventris, but Estes opted to use special sizes and I wasn't sure I could match it with any accuracy at all. Good to hear it may be an option for the Leviathan.

For the fins all you need is a pattern (somebody here has a fin pattern for this one I bet)

You rang?

attachment.php

I've got the .ork file for it (and the stretched version) too on my OpenRocket Files thread.

What’s a fair price for one now that it’s OOP? I think at times it did retail for $65+ when it was still in production, and at other times as low as $25 on clearance. The Ventris was about the same. What are they going for now?

What’s a fair price for one now that it’s OOP? I think at times it did retail for $65+ when it was still in production, and at other times as low as $25 on clearance. The Ventris was about the same. What are they going for now?

IIRC, they were the first to disappear from shelves and the Estes website. I've been seeing MDRM's going for $200+ on Ebay. Then again, the MDRM nosecone is unique and the kit cannot be cloned with off the shelf parts thanks to that.

I'm glad I still have my collection of three unbuilt ones back at home. I had seven, but one went to Rocket Fizz, and it's clone, the Scion clone, and the one I sold off account for the others. Since I'm in China, I'm disinclined to sell off any of them as I can't get to them at this time.

I'm glad I still have my collection of three unbuilt ones back at home. I had seven, but one went to Rocket Fizz, and it's clone, the Scion clone, and the one I sold off account for the others. Since I'm in China, I'm disinclined to sell off any of them as I can't get to them at this time.

MDRM, Leviathan, or Ventris?

Cool cool. I was looking at the Estes website and most of the parts for the Leviathan and Ventris are for sale. (Except for the Leviathan's nose cone, but I could just get a Big Daddy kit.) I'm considering going that route and using the laser cutter at my local library's Makerspace to whip up the wood bits.

Sent via The Rocketry Forum Android app. 🚀

I’ve got a few of the original PSII kits. I’m kind of on the fence because I was so excited when I originally bought them. They were perfect when my club used to hold monthly low/midpower events. But now they’ve lost their field, and when I make the trip to go to HPR events, I fly HPR. I’m kind of hanging on to them in case they regain an LPR field, but it’s been at least 2 years now...

Cool cool. I was looking at the Estes website and most of the parts for the Leviathan and Ventris are for sale. (Except for the Leviathan's nose cone, but I could just get a Big Daddy kit.) I'm considering going that route and using the laser cutter at my local library's Makerspace to whip up the wood bits.

Sent via The Rocketry Forum Android app. 
I have a "spare" set of fins around here somewhere, leftovers from some kitbashing. If and when I find 'em, you're more than welcome to them, just pick up shipping....

I just checked, and I do have a Leviathan and 2 Ventrises. I'd let them go for $60 each.

I'm with Thirsty Barbarian. I've got 4 Ventrises left over, 4 Argents, 2 Partizons. I think I've used all my Leviathans tho. My biggest worry is packing them really well for shipping.

20180323_124049.jpg Mine are all still in the bag, I only have 3 Argents though, one is open (I forgot I borrowed a motor retainer out of it)

Those are beautiful swatkat! Thirstybarbarian is hooking me up with a Leviathan and a Ventris. I can't wait to build them!

Sent via the Rocketry Forum mobile app. 🚀

Those are beautiful swatkat! Thirstybarbarian is hooking me up with a Leviathan and a Ventris. I can't wait to build them!

Sent via the Rocketry Forum mobile app. ��

OK, No problem at all! Glad you found some!

I feel stupid asking this but what is an MDRM?
Never mind. I got it. Mega Der Red Max. Should have figured it out from the Goblin reference.
Cheers!

Last edited:
I would like to thank everyone with all the help. Especially Thirstybarbarian for selling me his rockets!

Recently, I did some looking around and found that it is possible to get a nearly exact clone using parts from LOC. Even the 3" nosecone they have seems to match! They even have pre-slotted airframe tubes! Cut some fins from ⅛" ply and you're set. I plan on making a clone like this eventually myself.

I would like to thank everyone with all the help. Especially Thirstybarbarian for selling me his rockets!

Recently, I did some looking around and found that it is possible to get a nearly exact clone using parts from LOC. Even the 3" nosecone they have seems to match! They even have pre-slotted airframe tubes! Cut some fins from ⅛" ply and you're set. I plan on making a clone like this eventually myself.

Did you know that the Leviathan has a sister? Meet the Estes Scion (9712)...

17033911899_46c8a7434b_o.png

Basically, it's a S.P.E.V. version of the Leviathan... 3 fins (reversed orientation), and a pair of longer body tubes, instead of one long segment, and one shorter (slotted) segment.

I had heard that. I was trying to decide if I wanted to track one down too. I really like much of the Estes Pro Series II. Ventris and Leviathan are my clear favourites, but I also like the Partizon, Nike, and MDRM. I did pretty much blow my rocket budget for the next few months, so they'll have to wait.

I'd be willing to let one from the stash go at retail plus shipping. PM me if interested.

Back