Boom Supersonic airlines

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nytrunner

Pop lugs, not drugs
Reaction score
Newsfeed brought this across my desk this morning.

Richard Branson is backing this company that wants to bring back supersonic airliners for intercontinental flights.
I for one am interested if they can get a reliable vehicle that can cut down those long ocean hauls.

NY to London in 3.5 hours: The return of supersonic airliners

(Apologies to Winston if you already found this. lol)

Montreal's 'Mirabel airport' was built for the purpose of handling supersonic flights. it is (was) in the middle of nowhere, and had some 'futuristic' features to make it capable of handling 'concord like' planes , flight speeds, and sonic booms..

(It's now a ghost town of an airport, a movie prop when needed, and a 'high speed rent-a-ferarri' race track.. )

That's a good looking plane. Very similar to the Concorde. https://boomsupersonic.com/airliner

airliner-routes.jpg

It does look pretty slick.

I'm thinking the design space doesn't allow for many radical departures in a supersonic vehicle that has to carry passenger weight.
The angles have to work with the shocks, surface area has to be minimized, but lifting area still needs to be sufficient........ Good luck to 'em I say!

Edit: It actually REally reminds me of the Estes Astron Skydart lol. I need to dig that out and fly it again.....

Jet fuel is running around $2.50 a gallon.

50 passenger capacity, Drag caused by supersonic flight, Extremely high fuel burn required for the engines to produce the necessary
thrust. The math does not work out.

Boom admits that they have no current engine, available or in the design phase, that will meet their requirements.

Boom's own data show that it will only be 4 times more fuel (gross) efficient than Concord was, but it carries only half the passengers. And that is with
"blue sky" engines (that don't exist). So you have a proposed 50% increase in efficiency.

Concord burned 10 times the fuel per passenger than a 747-400 crossing the pond. So at best this will burn 5 times more fuel per passenger,
Than a 747-400. But most airlines are retiring their 747s because they burn too much fuel.

A 787 or an A-350 are both about 20% more efficient than older twin jets (767s A-330s) and about 30% more efficient that a 747.

Concord could not survive competing in the 1980's. This aircraft which will only be marginally better than Concord was against competing contemporary aircraft and will be too expensive to remain in service. In short, it will lose money in revenue service. Just like Concord did.

It still will not be able to overfly land at supersonic speeds, thus limiting the routes it can fly.

If it is built, Which I doubt, It will be a white elephant. Just like Concord was.

The economics just are not there for commercial supersonic passenger flight, when they are up against the economics
of subsoinc flight.

Boeing was almost there with the sonic cruiser 17 years ago. That is probably the way to go. A new design optimized
for High SubSonic to low Supersonic flight.

NASAs work on reducing the impact of sonic boom sounds much more promising.

I believe there is a viable market there somewhere, it’s just not an easy one to develop.

bah.. wake me when Scotty gets the teleporters working...

;)

What are you basing that on?
F-14 A Tomcat. 21,500 gallons per hour fuel consumption full after burner on take off. Concorde had afterburner. If they price it like luxury charter it'll survive,imo. This won't be your $69-599 typical Seats.

Jet fuel is running around $2.50 a gallon.

50 passenger capacity, Drag caused by supersonic flight, Extremely high fuel burn required for the engines to produce the necessary
thrust. The math does not work out.

Boom admits that they have no current engine, available or in the design phase, that will meet their requirements.

Boom's own data show that it will only be 4 times more fuel (gross) efficient than Concord was, but it carries only half the passengers. And that is with
"blue sky" engines (that don't exist). So you have a proposed 50% increase in efficiency.

Concord burned 10 times the fuel per passenger than a 747-400 crossing the pond. So at best this will burn 5 times more fuel per passenger,
Than a 747-400. But most airlines are retiring their 747s because they burn too much fuel.

A 787 or an A-350 are both about 20% more efficient than older twin jets (767s A-330s) and about 30% more efficient that a 747.

Concord could not survive competing in the 1980's. This aircraft which will only be marginally better than Concord was against competing contemporary aircraft and will be too expensive to remain in service. In short, it will lose money in revenue service. Just like Concord did.

It still will not be able to overfly land at supersonic speeds, thus limiting the routes it can fly.

If it is built, Which I doubt, It will be a white elephant. Just like Concord was.

The economics just are not there for commercial supersonic passenger flight, when they are up against the economics
of subsoinc flight.

Boeing was almost there with the sonic cruiser 17 years ago. That is probably the way to go. A new design optimized
for High SubSonic to low Supersonic flight.

I see. Considering all those issues, why would Richard Branson, Japan Airlines and multiple venture capitalists invest in the company? I don't have the answer for this, I'm genuinely curious.

I see. Considering all those issues, why would Richard Branson, Japan Airlines and multiple venture capitalists invest in the company? I don't have the answer for this, I'm genuinely curious.

VC is probably getting on board because there's a 5% chance it will work and be great. JAL-it's hard to say. Maybe they see a slightly higher chance, maybe the PR is worth it. Richard Branson is probably there because it's a romantic project that will only work with a huge personality marketing it out front, and he's that man. If it doesn't work, it's a small piece of his fortune and a lot of fun along the way.

I'm with Mach7 that it's probably a white elephant. On the other hand, there are a lot more people with the disposable income to drop $5K-$10K on a flight to Europe for whom the faster transit would be a selling point which might outweigh the extra cost. It might be viable as a niche market to/from selected cities. On the third hand, the bump in ticket price over first class is pretty enormous so I'm not sure if you'd really see people taking a second flight after they'd gotten the bragging rights from the first one.

my reading says that the 1st passenger planes made money carrying the mail. there might be enough interest/need for high speed parcel delivery to help offset the cost per flight.
Rex

Exactimator,

Richard Branson does most things for publicity. He no longer owns any airlines. He "leases" his name to airlines to make money.

As for JAL and VC, Who knows. VC support many things that fail. And lets be clear, BOOM is not flush with cash, they are trying to raise
more money.

SpaceManMat,

No one is saying it can't be done, just can it be done for a profit. That road is long and hard.
Concord NEVER made money. Taking a very similar design, building it out of carbon fiber and using
non afterburning turbofan engines that aren't even on the drawing board yet, while trying to have them in passenger service
by 2023 when they don't even have a subscale model flying is not a recipe for success.
Selling it for $200+ Mil, The price of a 787, is not a comfortable business model.

If they can't sell 500 of them they will fail, leaving the few that are flying them high and dry.

Again, it CAN be done, and it has been done. Just can it be done for profit.

I think we will have to wait for this one for a while yet. There’s always been talk about another supersonic jet since concord. When boeing says they are building one I think that’s when it will happen

It's gonna take a device like NASA quiet spike or Gulfstream SSBJ to get in the pipes and FAA certified. They legally can't do supersonic over land until they make the sonic boom less audible. FAA doesn't want to deal with shattered window complaints.

Interesting that Branson would hedge against his plan for Virgin Galactic. VG is going in high income markets as a novelty ride (Norway, UAE, Japan, and a few others) If you look at the Wright Brothers, their first flight were pay-to-ride for celebrities and the rest is history. A rocket powered, air launched glider could be ferried to a given point and endurance glide to destination while the mother ship goes on to deliver materials elsewhere. Currently there are spaceports in CA, NM, TX, KS, VA, FL, and I'm forgetting one. A small fleet of ships could cut the trans US flight to 3 hours from take off instead of the 7 under the current hub and spoke system. LA to Hawaii, Hawaii to Tokyo in 8hrs or less... Since the RG would be ascending angularly, the sonic boom would never reach the ground and cause the issues related to the NASA studies from the 60-70s that prevented Concorde from being a viable transcontinental market.

Back