Arcturus Sounding Rocket - actual drawings?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlphaSigOU

Semi-retired rocketeer...
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for a copy of the original drawings of the Atlantic Research Corporation Arcturus sounding rocket. I've created an AutoCAD drawing (in PDF format) based on existing drawings of the ARCAS and direct measurements of the Rocketarium kit and the ARC sales brochure, with SWAG (Silly Wild Assed Guesses) of the fin shroud, which is cobbed together from the HV ARCAS. Can anyone help? (It's not in Morrow's Small Sounding Rockets book and CD.)

I was thinking of building an actual size Arcturus but the Madcow version only has 54mm motor mount. Sent an email to Madcow but never recieved a response. Any thoughts on just building the Madcow kit modified with a 75mm motor. Remember this is a thin-wall fiberglass kit.

I am sure Mike at Madcow would swap a 75 mount he has done it for me on my AGM58 and Double Shot booster. You usually have to cut the fin tang down your self but that’s no big deal.

I am sure Mike at Madcow would swap a 75 mount he has done it for me on my AGM58 and Double Shot booster. You usually have to cut the fin tang down your self but that’s no big deal.
Contacted Madcow via email and their website messaging system. No response:(

Greetings did anyone ever find any more details on this prototype?

Looking for a copy of the original drawings of the Atlantic Research Corporation Arcturus sounding rocket. I've created an AutoCAD drawing (in PDF format) based on existing drawings of the ARCAS and direct measurements of the Rocketarium kit and the ARC sales brochure, with SWAG (Silly Wild Assed Guesses) of the fin shroud, which is cobbed together from the HV ARCAS. Can anyone help? (It's not in Morrow's Small Sounding Rockets book and CD.)
I thought a SWAG was a suitable wide assed guess, kind of based on all your experience being summed up internally in your brain providing a meaningful feeling for what to do. A fudge factor in engineering.. :)

Google is your friend, when it's not trying to sell you the leather sofa you mentioned 3 minutes ago....

Scientific wild-ass guess (SWAG) is an American English slang term meaning a rough estimate made by an expert in the field, based on experience and intuition. It is similar to the slang word guesstimate, a portmanteau of guess and estimate.

Norm

Last edited:
Back