regulations/ordinances in town limits, Salinas CA

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delivers1234

Reaction score
Hi. So I wanted to try the model rocket at a park. I call the parks info and there was a "we can't authorize that" and a there is no regulation regarding that.

the fire department is looking into it but says it is fine to use (with safety).

the police department would look at if it is an explosive and its safety if near people.

Any suggestions to launch my rocket in a public park?

the county parks prohibit any flying.

I just want to make sure I don't get a citation. Perhaps a letter from the Fire department to the police department would help?

Delivers1234

Go to NAR or TRA and find a launch site. Or file for one with a 7711-2 FAA form. You picked California to live at. Moved from there twenty years ago. You can't even buy Loki HPR rocket motor in CA because the Fire Marshall isn't happy. Take a nice road trip over to next state and realize how restricted you are. Nobody cares if you launch rockets at parks elsewhere in US.

Hi. So I wanted to try the model rocket at a park. I call the parks info and there was a "we can't authorize that" and a there is no regulation regarding that.

the fire department is looking into it but says it is fine to use (with safety).

the police department would look at if it is an explosive and its safety if near people.

I just want to make sure I don't get a citation. Perhaps a letter from the Fire department to the police department would help?

Delivers1234

Please don't mind Andrew, he can be a bit excitable.

The fire dept. not objecting is a reasonably encouraging sign. The police not citing a specific ordinance is similarly positive.

You mentioned county parks prohibiting flying, but it sounds like the city may not have a particular regulation covering Model Rockets?

What we're searching for are Authorities Having Jurisdiction ( AHJ ). We know nationally that FAR 101 and NFPA 1122 cover most of what we want to do; but state, county, city, neighborhood rules may be stricter.

https://www.nar.org/local_club/afe-rocketry-afe-791/ seems to be a club fairly close to you, I'd recommend checking them out.

Last edited:
That site says TARC only. LUNAR may be the closest club, but they are looking for a local launch place.

That site says TARC only. LUNAR may be the closest club, but they are looking for a local launch place.
I was more suggesting OP contact them and other nearby NAR/TRA groups to find like-minded hyperlocal folks. :)

Anywhere in the State of California you must obey the State Fire Regulations.

A local jurisdiction may have more restrictive regulations, but they cannot have LESS restrictive regulations.

Since January 1, 2016 the CA State Law refers to NFPA 1122 for Model Rockets which defines what a "Model Rocket" is. This means the weight limits are the same as the national code now.

You still must obtain permission of the property owner and also permission of the Fire Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) to launch and the fire 'permission' is usually in the form of a written permit. Some permits are free, and some have a fee. Don't let them try to charge you for a super expensive pyrotechnician's public display permit. These are Model Rockets.

And some parks require a permit to use their land.

https://home.earthlink.net/~mebowitz/siteaid.pdf

Delivers1234

OK. so fire chief approves, city appoves but the parks I'm not sure about. Please read this.

[FONT=&quot]Sec. 28-14. - General regulations governing the use of parks, recreation areas or facilities.

https://library.municode.com/https://library.municode.com/https://library.municode.com/https://library.municode.com/

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]It is hereby declared to be unlawful for any person to do or to cause or to permit to be done any of the acts hereinafter specified within the limits of any park, recreation area, or facility within the city of Salinas:
(a)​
Loose Animals. To lead or let loose any animal or fowl; provided, that the prohibitions of this section shall not apply to animals which may be brought into the park or upon the grounds for any of the following purposes:
(1)​
Exhibit, such as dog shows and the like;
(2)​
Those portions of any park specifically set aside for riding schools or rodeo purposes; or
(3)​
Those portions of any park specifically set aside for dogs and their owners, and pursuant to the terms and conditions for such use, as adopted by resolution of the council.
For the purposes of this section and any resolutions adopted to effect the purposes of this section, the term "owner" means any person having charge or control of a dog or any other animal.
(b)​
Firearms and Fireworks. To carry or bring therein any firearms, airguns, slingshots, rockets, torpedoes, or any other fireworks of any type.

[/FONT]

Thank you. So in the handbook it says:

12511. Fireworks
"Fireworks" means any device containing chemical elements and chemical
compounds capable of burning independently of the oxygen of the
atmosphere and producing audible, visual, mechanical, or thermal effects
which are useful as pyrotechnic devices or for entertainment.
The term "fireworks" includes, but is not limited to, devices designated by
the manufacturer as fireworks, torpedoes, skyrockets, roman candles,
rockets, Daygo bombs, sparklers, party poppers, paper caps, chasers,
fountains, smoke sparks, aerial bombs, and fireworks kits.

12519. Model rocket
"Model rocket" means any toy or educational device which weighs not
more than 500 grams, including the engine and any payload, that is
propelled by model rocket engines.

My conclusion is that model rockets are not fireworks.

12511. Fireworks

12519. Model rocket

You are correct in your interpretation (at least as far as I am concerned), however most law enforcement don't know the difference between model rocket engines and fireworks, nor do they usually care, they leave it up to a judge to decide.

The Handbook is a reference and it is wrong. The law was changed and the definition of Model Rocket is now the NFPA code.

They should update the Handbook, but it is a low priority.

12511. Fireworks

12519. Model rocket

Welcome to rocketry in California. There's no telling what might happen if a cop approached you, but if you were friendly, apologetic for possibly misinterpreting the rules, and showed him what you relied on (have that information with you), if you were doing it when the park was empty and the grass was damp (early in the morning), if the recovery area was very large and you weren't dropping the rockets onto a roadway or nearby buildings,... you would probably just have a conversation and at worst agree to shut down/not do it there again. Might also help if you had a thermos of coffee and a box of donuts with you.

You should definitely check out the launches run by LUNAR (www.lunar.org) and Tripoli Central California (www.tccrockets.com). Lots of low, mid, and high power stuff at both locations. And this May, TCC is hosting a national event that will bring people from all over--a good place to see how many different ways there are to watch your money go up in smoke. Literally.

... a good place to see how many different ways there are to watch your money go up in smoke. Literally.

Literally? I didn't realize the cotton-based US paper currency was a good propellant. I suppose you could ball mill coins for their zinc, copper, and nickel content. ;-)

Literally? I didn't realize the cotton-based US paper currency was a good propellant. I suppose you could ball mill coins for their zinc, copper, and nickel content. ;-)

OK, some poetic license taken there. But who uses paper currency these days? "Watching your credit card swipe go up in smoke" doesn't have the same ring to it.

Bet you can't make a smokey doped-linen hybrid neener neener. I double-dog-dare ya'! :p

I would suggest that you attend a Tripoli Central California launch. https://tccrockets.com/v2/ It is worth the drive. There you will find other folks that can help you and you will have a great time with other flyers.

Where is Shreadvector when you need him? :)

The rule for model rockets in CA (defined as conforming to FAA 101 and NFPA 1122) is that you need the permission of the land owner AND permission from the "local fire authority" to launch them. So, to launch at your local park you would need to ask the local Parks & Recs Department, and ask the fire marshal in that city. If you're doing it with a school or Scout group, there's a decent chance you'll get permission... my sons' Cub Scout pack had an annual launch at a local High School football every field. If you're doing it on your own, it's still worth a crack... they may tell you that you can't launch at Park X but it's OK at Park Y, but they may also want you to prove that you have some insurance.

Joining a local NAR Chapter is always a good idea, because they'll have insured and sanctioned launches so you don't have to do the footwork. They also take care of the insurance too, which goes a along way towards obtaining the landowner's permission.

DI'd you ever get the ok to launch anywhere? I live in prunedale and am in the same predicament.
Old thread but if you are in Prunedale you are pretty close to Hollister. LUNAR chapter of NAR flies there now.

Back