• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

9V Batteries (10 for $10)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dshmel

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to post, but Radio Shack sent me an email advertising a sale on their 9V house brand alkaline batteries for $10 for a package of 10. I don't use them for my altimeters, but I know many flyers do. I bought some for smoke detectors, etc.

Geez, is Radio Shack still alive? All of their stores closed two years ago, and I get the impression that their web site just exists to clear out whatever inventory they still have in their warehouses. Still, Radio Shack has always had decent batteries, like you said they're just fine for smoke detectors. I wouldn't fly them either (or any other 9V battery for that matter... I use LiPo's.)

I wouldn't fly them either (or any other 9V battery for that matter... I use LiPo's.)

I can use them in my Comm Spec receiver. If I get two days worth of use out of one then it is worth $1. I currently have a lithium 9V battery in the tracker - lasts a long time - but they are spendy.

...like you said they're just fine for smoke detectors. I wouldn't fly them either (or any other 9V battery for that matter... I use LiPo's.)

I'm running on only a couple hours sleep with a nasty migraine, but this struck me as a bit funny or maybe ironic. So what you are saying is that their batteries are good enough to use in something that could save your life (smoke detectors), but not good enough to use in something that won't (model rocket). Seems kinda backwards. :lol:

I'm running on only a couple hours sleep with a nasty migraine, but this struck me as a bit funny or maybe ironic. So what you are saying is that their batteries are good enough to use in something that could save your life (smoke detectors), but not good enough to use in something that won't (model rocket). Seems kinda backwards. :lol:

I use brand new Duracell batteries in my altimeters, then use them in my smoke detectors afterwards.

Smoke detectors draw a tiny amount of current and experience no g-forces, so they don't really need a terribly robust battery. Also, they beep at you if the battery starts to fail.

Smoke detectors draw a tiny amount of current and experience no g-forces, so they don't really need a terribly robust battery. Also, they beep at you if the battery starts to fail.

Our detectors are hard wired so the battery is only used when the power is out. I replaced all of our batteries a couple of months ago because one was beeping. They are interconnected so all of them beeped. I could have tracked down just the one or two bad batteries, but I decided to replace all of them. I should be good for years.

I have been using LiPo's for my on-board electronics for years. I like the the ability to use WiFi enabled devices (quantums) and feel more comfortable with the capacity reserve for longer pad times.

Our detectors are hard wired so the battery is only used when the power is out. I replaced all of our batteries a couple of months ago because one was beeping. They are interconnected so all of them beeped. I could have tracked down just the one or two bad batteries, but I decided to replace all of them. I should be good for years.

I have been using LiPo's for my on-board electronics for years. I like the the ability to use WiFi enabled devices (quantums) and feel more comfortable with the capacity reserve for longer pad times.

Ours too, but somehow the batteries still die, and usually the warning chirp comes at 2-3am, and in the kids' rooms...a lot of fun with 10' ceilings! What REALLY irritates me though is that our models chirp once every minute when the power goes out...which ALSO happens in the middle of the night usually :mad:

Ours too, but somehow the batteries still die, and usually the warning chirp comes at 2-3am, and in the kids' rooms...a lot of fun with 10' ceilings! What REALLY irritates me though is that our models chirp once every minute when the power goes out...which ALSO happens in the middle of the night usually :mad:

Exactly! Our detectors chirped just after midnight. Because they are interconnected they ALL chirped - at least that is the way it sounded. And yes, just once a minute. We have 6 detectors, luckily I found the one with the low battery on the second unit. I replaced all 6 batteries a few days later. RS still has them on sale. Last time they went on sale, they ran out of stock midway through the first day.

Back