Estes Black Brant 2 question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobby_hamill

Reaction score
I have been looking the net over but no luck

What is the Estes Part Number for

the plastic section that has the Plastic tail cone / coupler sections on it ?

Thanks !

Bobby

Sorry... instructions only call it out as "PLASTIC TAIL/CONE COUPLER".

I'd suggest reaching out to John Boren (aka JumpJet) and see if he's got the part number in the files he has access to.

Called John, and he looked it up for me ...

And
the
part
number
for
the
nosecone
is

(the Plastic Tail Cone/Coupler is Part Number 071045 :wink:)

Lemme guess, you're doing this for some kind of parts database right?

Nope

I was wondering if any other Estes Kit still in production has this part or if the part can still be ordered.
My next build project will be using the B/W roll pattern like I used on my present build of the 4 fin version but
on the 3 fin version like the one in the below attachment

BBII 62-6704.jpg

I don't think that part has been available for decades. You can:
1. Turn a custom balsa coupler yourself using the template with the plans at YORP, and do a paper shroud for the tail cone.
2. Have a custom turned balsa cone/coupler done by a machining service like Roachwerks.
3. Have a 3d printed custom job done for you by one of the 3d shops.
4. Give K'tesh a GENEROUS offer for the one he has.

Speaking of BBIIs, here's my recent builds. L to R: Estes BT-55 clone, Scratch BT-60, MadCow Mini BBII. In the works, 2" and 2.6" BBIIs. Erockets has the coupler/tailcone in balsa for both 24 and 29mm engines for ST-20 tubes.

IMG_20180321_113556.jpg

kuririn

The decals are from Tango Papa ( I sent them a pattern )
The roll pattern on the fins and airframe are hand painted on

My build of 4 of the Black Brants is on the high power section of TRF

Bobby

1. Turn a custom balsa coupler yourself using the template with the plans at YORP, and do a paper shroud for the tail cone.
2. Have a custom turned balsa cone/coupler done by a machining service like Roachwerks.

Speaking of BBIIs, here's my recent builds. L to R: Estes BT-55 clone, Scratch BT-60, MadCow Mini BBII. In the works, 2" and 2.6" BBIIs. Erockets has the coupler/tailcone in balsa for both 24 and 29mm engines for ST-20 tubes.

View attachment 341324

Mmmmmmm, a fellow connoisseur.....
(BT-50 scratchbuild, Estes, Madcow FG 1.6, Madcow 2.6, and a Polecat 5.5 in the box)

Attachments

• 20170902_072333.jpg
    20170902_072333.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 37
Can and will print these for you if you'd like. Someone else has posted the files, I can give printing them a whirl.

Nope

I was wondering if any other Estes Kit still in production has this part or if the part can still be ordered.
My next build project will be using the B/W roll pattern like I used on my present build of the 4 fin version but
on the 3 fin version like the one in the below attachment

I'd love to know that the other side looks like... My theory is that it matches the fin closest to the rail (as seen in the attachment). Then again, it could be a solid color on one or more sides.

1. Could be done, but the balsa would be likely frustrating.
2. BMS would be my recommendation... But being balsa, it could be problematic... Sealing and painting would be a *female dog*.
3. This is the route I'd go... Unless John Boren can convince Estes to reissue the BBII.
4. :lol: It'd be cheaper to go to Ebay and score your own, than to try and get mine away from me.
5. You *COULD* use some CA impregnated centering rings, sandpaper, and some elbow grease to shape your own wasp waist. Paper shroud for the cone.

K'Tesh

the fin pattern on one side is the opposite on the back side of the same fin
that way as the Black Brant rotates the B/W pattern alternates see attachment below

I'd love to know that the other side looks like... My theory is that it matches the fin closest to the rail (as seen in the attachment). Then again, it could be a solid color on one or more sides.

fin pattern.jpg

Always a pitfall..the designs on Thingiverse are about 1.5% too small. I can't tell that until I print an actual part and measure it, so these were practice runs I guess!

I'll try the boat tail by itself at 101.5% scale...rapid prototyping in action!

patelldp

Save the part that is a bit to small and you can use it for testing paint
compatibly.

Bobby

I have A LOT of material to test with...I guess that's a "happy byproduct" of 3D printing and iterative designing.

If enough people are interested in these parts I'd be happy to draw up my own design file for them and offer them for sale. The Thingiverse ones aren't very good and need a lot of help to make them serviceable.

What interest is there?

patelldp

Looking good .
Just got an idea.

How about cutting 3 slots on each part ?
That way you could make a tab on the fins and glue the fins to the engine mount tube. And the transition
section would slide down from the top and bump the top section of the tab and the nozzle would slide up and bump the
bottom section of the tab that way you would have the fins glued to the engine mount and wedged between the two printed parts ?

And use birch plywood for the fins as it would stand ruff landings better :)

Bobby

slotts.jpg

Back