SkyRipper motor cases

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heada

Reaction score
I have the complete set of 29mm, 38mm and 54mm Skyripper cases that I flew a few times. Since they're no longer certified, I was thinking of cutting down the cases, machining new thrust and snapring groves and making multiple EX cases from them. Does anyone know of a plan for SRS to come back or a better use of the cases? I already have most 38mm and 54mm cases in Loki for my EX needs.

I have the complete set of 29mm, 38mm and 54mm Skyripper cases that I flew a few times. Since they're no longer certified, I was thinking of cutting down the cases, machining new thrust and snapring groves and making multiple EX cases from them. Does anyone know of a plan for SRS to come back or a better use of the cases? I already have most 38mm and 54mm cases in Loki for my EX needs.
Sell me the 54's for a sweet deal? I'm slowly acquiring the top end of every 54mm hybrid line to compare/contrast/visualize the injector variants.

Sell me the 54's for a sweet deal? I'm slowly acquiring the top end of every 54mm hybrid line to compare/contrast/visualize the injector variants.

Define sweet deal. I have a new 54mm nozzle, injector, bulkhead and 4 reloads for the 54mm. I dropped the nozzle by accident and cracked it and so I ordered a new set of everything and just never used it. Not 100% sure where the nozzle washer is but that should be very easy to replicate.

You could fly them as EX hybrids. I have the long 54mm and the 38mm set, that's what I'm planning to do. I need to work out some details for EX reloads for the 54mm, but 38mm is easy.

You can cut and make smaller cases out of them. I think some people around here have. You might do better to sell them if there is enough interest though. 38mm and 29mm DOM tube is easy to get and cheap if you want to machine your own cases and have a lathe big enough.

I doubt SRS will be back soon, just not much market for hybrid these days. That shouldn't stop you from flying them if you want to though.

Actually, Skyripper certification still stands with the NAR.

https://www.nar.org/SandT/pdf/CombinedMotorsByImpulse.pdf

Actually, Skyripper certification still stands with the NAR.

https://www.nar.org/SandT/pdf/CombinedMotorsByImpulse.pdf

How is that possible? The original 38mm motors:

38/220 PVC H-124
38/220 Polypro H-155
38/400 PVC I-119
38/400 Polypro I-147
38/580 PVC I-117
38/580 Polypro J-144

were all certified by Tripoli in July 2004. Cert is good for 5 years with a re-test. That means re-testing in 2009 (valid) and 2014 (SRS already closed by then) and since the cert would expire in 2014, It should be listed as expiring and a final date of 2017 which is 3 years after the cert expired to allow people to use up any motors in stock. The 29mm and 54mm should still be good until either this year or next, I'd have to look up the certs.

Before his passing, Bill Spadafora told me the following:

There are a lot of motors on the list that are over 5 years out of production. Recertification is not a requirement of NFPA 1125. We (I'm the NAR S & T secretary) tend to not pull certification on motors that don't have a history of failure. I maintain the certified motor list that NAR, TRA, and CAR use. Unless somebody from any of those organizations tells me to remove a motor, it stays.

The link to the conversation:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/hybridrocketmotors/conversations/messages/9204

Before his passing, Bill Spadafora told me the following:

The link to the conversation:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/hybridrocketmotors/conversations/messages/9204

This is also on the agenda for the NAR & TRA meeting in April. I think you can find motors in the certified motor list that have expired from all three organizations. As Bill mentioned there’s no NFPA requirement to expire certifications. Bill was very good. The problem is that our policies have always said they would expire based on time. We either need to fix our policies or follow them.

Steve Shannon

Hi Aaron,
How the hell are ya?

Steve Shannon

I'm doing well. Already launched more rockets this year than I did all of last year. Trying to get a summer road-trip out your way either this year or next. Need to visit family in Bozeman and up near Helena and spend a week or so in Glacier hiking, kayaking and fishing. I'll definitely be stopping by to see ya when I come through.

How are you doing? I hear someone voted you president or some crazy thing.

I'm doing well. Already launched more rockets this year than I did all of last year. Trying to get a summer road-trip out your way either this year or next. Need to visit family in Bozeman and up near Helena and spend a week or so in Glacier hiking, kayaking and fishing. I'll definitely be stopping by to see ya when I come through.

How are you doing? I hear someone voted you president or some crazy thing.

Crazy isn’t it? I’m good. You’d better stop. Our launch schedule is at www.bigskyrocketry.org. We’ve got a 52k MSL waiver.

I really don't care about that part - I've used the long case with AP before. More the cutting down hard to find lengths of 54mm that have grooves into shorter cases. Kind of like tearing a $100 in half and trying to convince people you have $50.

Edward

Last edited:
I really don't care about that part - I've used the long case with AP before. More the cutting down hard to fine lengths of 54mm that have grooves into shorter cases. Kind of like tearing a $100 in half and trying to convince people you have $50.

Edward

That is a perfect analogy... quoted and saved for later.

I've already traded in my tank for an argon welding tank. I've already re-purposed my GSE. I have the cases that I wont use at that length as I don't fly high L/D APCP motors. I'm going to make the 29mm hardware into 29mm EX cases because that's just for pure fun and they're not that long really. That leaves the 38mm and 54mm cases. I have nearly all the 38mm cases I'd want in Loki already for normal and EX flying. For 54mm I have a Loki 54/2000 and so I could use a 54/950 and a 54/1200. I'd consider a 54/2800 but even then, that's longer than I normally go (~30 inches). If I can sell the long cases as-is and finance the same in Loki hardware, I'm willing to do that. Just need reasonable offers on the 38mm and 54mm cases. I even have some of the other parts in good condition like the forward bulkheads, the injectors and for 54mm, a new nozzle. The 38mm nozzle is MIA. I have 2x 54mm reload packages (4 reloads total) and 3x 38mm reload packages (6x PVC and 3x PP total) that I'd throw in for free (SANS the pre-heater grains so there'd be no restrictions on shipping)

If the gas station wont take $100's but they will take $50's, then that $100 isn't worth nearly as much as the pair of $50's

John/Edward, what are they worth to you?

If the gas station wont take $100's but they will take $50's, then that $100 isn't worth nearly as much as the pair of $50's

John/Edward, what are they worth to you?

I have sticks of raw 38mm and 54mm tubing to make cases from. I was just here to give Edward a hard time. But, I would give you a pair of $50 bills for everything, if nobody else offers.

I suggest you post them in the yard sale section. I can easily make reloads for the 38 and 54 systems. The 36 inch 54 is a great motor. Hybrids are the easiest EX motors to make and give access to those in countries where AP is hard to come by.

Back