Estes Saturn V - Spray paint or bottle paint?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketRoll

Reaction score
I have a bunch of those small testors bottle paints from revell model kits I make. Particularly a lot of black. I'm wondering if I could just use those to paint the black sections of the Saturn V instead of dealing with masking and spray paints. I'm concerned about the brushed-on paint adding additional weight to an already heavy rocket. Has anyone tried this?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Rocketry Forum mobile app

I doubt that there would be any measurable/significant weight penalty for using testor's enamel over spray paint in this particular application.

When I replaced my fin set on my original SV I used the Moldin' Oldies replacements and used brush enamel for those and touched up my black areas with brush enamel as well.

Regardless of paint and weight concerns, I'd shy away from a D12-3 for the motor in favor of a composite E in a 24/40 case. The stock build is more than stout enough for the motor and the flight is far less stressful. If one is committed to flying a SV on a single D12-3 then lightweight building tactics should be employed from start to finish, in my opinion.

If you're comfortable with your brush painting skills then go for it. But just to be clear you're still going to mask to get good clean lines, right ?

Of course. I don't get to work on my rockets for long stretches of time, so being able to mask off and work on a small area here and there is preferred over masking everything and spraying. Plus I can use all those extra bottles laying around!

And knowing how I build rockets, a D12-3 would lawn-dart my Saturn V in no time. I opted for an E15W-4.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Back