V2 cutaway shots

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim51

Reaction score
Some close up shots of the exposed engine on the V2 on display here in London at the Imperial War Museum. Photos from the time show the combustion chamber assembly often survived the impact and warhead detonation to be found later around the crater. Adjacent, a V-1, which my mother saw in action as one overshot her aunt's house. The Spitfire wing tip in the third picture seems to recall the RAF tactic of flying alongside Doodlebugs and attempting to flip them over into a tumble with the Spit's wing tip whilst still they were still over Kent farmland.

V2 cutaway 1.jpgV2 Cutaway 2.jpgV2 cutaway 3.jpgV2 Cutaway 5.jpg

From what I remember hearing / reading, it was the Spit or Typhoon who flipped them over (the V1 / Doodlebug) but not by actually touching their wings,. They flew close enough with their wing overlapping to induce a stall over the V1's wing.. Therefore causing a wing to loose lift & flip over. Less damage to the Spit or Typhoon..

But I'm sure a few were 'brute force' to case the flip...

From what I remember hearing / reading, it was the Spit or Typhoon who flipped them over (the V1 / Doodlebug) but not by actually touching their wings,. They flew close enough with their wing overlapping to induce a stall over the V1's wing.. Therefore causing a wing to loose lift & flip over. Less damage to the Spit or Typhoon..

Aha - ok, yes - that sounds plausible. If done correctly that would make the V-1 drop away in a downward diagonal away from the plane. Thanks for posting.

Back