Looking for the yellow jet NASA logo

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi folks. I'm looking for a .jpg of the old vintage style jet NASA logo. Like the one that's on the X-15 that's below. Anyone have one? I've searched everywhere.
This is probably the best you can get. If you want to make a decal out of it make a trace from this image and pretty much just recreate it. I don't think it was ever a public symbol for NASA so it probably only exists on individual aircraft and was never used elsewhere, at least not on anything that has ever hit the internet. Oh a random neat thing about that plane is the vertical tail. It was made in that shape to help prevent flow separation and stalling at supersonic speeds. Obviously supersonic wind tunnels of any size and supercomputers didn't exist yet so they had to act based on very rough assumptions about supersonic flow.
ET61-0140.jpg

You could always find a Revell X-15 Airplane Model Kit # H-164 and scan the decals included with it. Saw one on eBay this morning.
Just a thought.
William

iirc reading somewhere that that logo or a similar one was designed and hand lettered,but that Priamos Heavy is a very close match.

I think this was back in the days before "brand identification" was an overriding concept -- it's not a "logo" per se but just the letters N A S A painted on the tail.

Personally, if I were running the NASA show at the time I'd have put a bigger version of the yellow chevron and the blue NASA meatball logo they use under the cockpit, on the tail fin.

BTW- other "Yellow stripe" tail on a NASA aircraft that I can think of is the F-104. And that really was a jet, while the X-15 was rocket powered. Lots of neat images to be found by googling for "NASA F-104"

s-l1000.jpg

The font on the F-104 and B-52 yellow stripe labels is different than the font on the X-15, so obviously it is not an actual logo, just vaguely similar lettering. The yellow color is also different— on the X-15 its a lemon yellow, while on the F-104 it’s more of a maize/ goldenrod mix.

Back