Previous NARAM Houston locations?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelRapp

Reaction score
I was looking through the history of NARAM and noticed the last NARAM held in the Houston area was 1994, but it has been held in Houston four previous times: 1970, 1979, 1983, and 1985.

Does anyone recall where exactly these events were held? Were they all held at the large field that occupies the western part of the Johnson Space Center?

(And it appears that no NSL has yet been held in Texas at all?)

(And it appears that no NSL has yet been held in Texas at all?)

Can't help with the NARAM query, but NSL has been held in Texas at least twice: 2004 (Hearne) and 2006 (McGregor). There may have also been a late '80s/early '90s NSL, as well.

James

Not sure about the '79 and the '80's, but the '94 event (NARAM 36, which I attended) was at the big field behind the Saturn V. And from the description in Model Rocketry Magazine, July 1970 issue, the '70 NARAM (NARAM 12) was at that same field.

The interesting thing is that that NARAM-12 was originally announced to be at a field next to the Astrodome. They changed to the MSC field two months later.

Thanks, James and Roy.

A field next to the Astrodome? Interesting...need to look at some old Google Earth photos to see where that might have been. (And a very long time before I was even born.)

(And fail at Googling for NSL....when did NSL start, anyway?)

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Thanks, James and Roy.

A field next to the Astrodome? Interesting...need to look at some old Google Earth photos to see where that might have been. (And a very long time before I was even born.)

(And fail at Googling for NSL....when did NSL start, anyway?)

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Apparently it was going to be across I-610 in the direction of whatever "Gridiron" is. Location was changed due to "financial and spacial limitations."

NSL, I think, started at NARAM 32 (1990) as the sport launch weekend before NARAM. Before that, NARAM was pretty much competition-only and people didn't show up until Sunday night for the competitors' meeting. There was only one range, and non-competition flights were labeled "demonstration flights". NARAM 33 in Chicago was, I think, the first to have a separate sport range that operated in parallel with the competition range (it was also the first one to feature motors of H and above). NSL became a separate event in 1995, though NARAM retains a sport launch weekend.

NARAM 33 in Chicago was, I think, the first to have a separate sport range that operated in parallel with the competition range

We also had a separate sport range for the opening weekend of NARAM-28, in Champaign, IL.

We also had a separate sport range for the opening weekend of NARAM-28, in Champaign, IL.

Was an opening weekend sport launch common with NARAMs in the 80's or was it dependant on the host section? Looks like NARAM-31 started on Sunday but I can't tell if there was flying that day.

Back