ESTES PSII Super Big Bertha - Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having said that.....I think the F40 is the perfect Pro-Series II motor......

It sure puts up the prettiest flights, doesn't it?

The improvements did cost you some altitude....the two F15 flights for which I have data went to 820 and 929 feet (but no Chute release, and the altimeter was the smaller, lighter FireFly).

I shot the second color on my replacement SBB today. It again was built essentially stock (except for adding a baffle). It weighed just under 9 ounces before paint. I'll have a final weight in a day or two.

It sure does fly great. I knew it wasn't going to be a high flier with the extra weight... I didn't mind though. It looks great low and slow. Would love to see a pic of yours when you get it finished.

We flew my son's Super Big Bertha last Thursday at the weekly rocket club meeting at our school. We used an adapter and flew it on a D12-3. It was a perfect flight to around 200-300' (just a guess, no altimeter on board) with deployment just as it arced over.

Ours was 12.6 ounces ready to fly, the only deviation from stock build was a nylon parachute.

That sounds awesome. Mine isn't much heavier than that.

That is a beautiful ride! I bet it would also be glorious on an F40-W for a nice long slow boost OR even a G64W! No problem with your chute release. I think the H128 would be too fast....more like artillery. I say try the F40!
Andrew

I've been actually thinking about trying it on a F42. I need to either find the file for the SBB or create it in OpenRocket and see what happens... curious to see if it can handle the slow burn of a F23JW. I think that would look real impressive.

My second one is ready to fly. Just over 9.5 ounces with no motor. It may get its first flight tomorrow - but the club launch is expected to be attended by three Scout groups, so I’ll likely be too busy to fly more than once or twice myself.

Back