Any advice on noise cancelling vs non headphones? For air travel

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Was looking at noise cancelling vs “worktunes” earmuffs with sound.
Do I really need to pay big bucks for Bose or other name brands?
Looked at reviews on Amazon but not sure how “real” they are
Thanks
Tom

I own a pair of Bose QC15s that I use every day in my home office for conference / video calls / music / recording / games / movies that I abandoned travelling with for two reasons:

1) The sheer size of them in my bag - I have to carry enough already without adding their size to my pack
2) If you're planning on sleeping on the plane, I personally can't stand the "ear muff" style as they prevent me from turning my head properly (we also have headrest "wings" on Qantas that fold in to let you rest your head against, which makes it worse) and you end up leaning on the head phone which interfered with the noise cancelling and made my neck sore...

I prefer in "passive" ear buds that sit flat in my ear and just have the rubber gaskets that seal in my ear canal properly.. I use a $40 pair that I LIVE IN when flying (short and long haul international) and have a really long cord braided nylon cord, which is super handy when my phone is in my side cargo pants pocket...

I can have a baby in the seat next to me crying its head off and a just a tiny bit (low volume) of even classical music means I can't hear a peep out of them...

Get bright orange ones, if you can. That plus sunglasses means "go away" to a lot of otherwise oblivious people.

If they persist, tap one. If they persist, pull one out and give them The Look. I've never had someone go farther than that on even the Pacific route.

I like my Beats Studio. Find them more comfortable than Bose for sleeping. Also, the Bose that I previously owned had some issues with the ear muffs molting after a few years. Beats have soft, supple leather ear muffs. Really can't go wrong with either for sound cancellation!

I used to own a pair of the large Bose over-the-ear style noise cancelling headphones, and really liked them, until they were stolen in an airport. The downside, they were big and didn't fit well into my carry-on bag.

I have had a pair of the ear-bud style Bose QC-20's for several years now. I doubted that earbuds could be truly noise cancelling, but I was wrong - they work well, and are also small enough to put in my bag. The batteries last many hours, long enough for a US to Europe or Asia flight.

My wife and I use Bose Quiet Comfort 25. Purchased both of them on eBay after the 35s came out, they were around half the price of new. For over the ear headphones, they fold up reasonably compact into the provided case.

I have a pair of Bose QC35 and would not travel (significantly) without them. I put off buying them for years due to the cost, but once I pulled the trigger, I kicked myself for putting off so long. I flew about 75k miles last year and these are worth the space they and the cost.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Rocketry Forum mobile app

+1 on QC25s or QC35s (own one of each in the family).
25's have wires (work w/o batteries, and can be had at a discount now), 35's are Bluetooth only (more battery hungry).

We got cheaper Sony NC headphones for our son when he wanted a set badly. They do work, but about 80% as effective as Bose.
I can't speak for other brands.

YMMV,
a

Well I fly rental Cessnas. I trust my life to a light speed 3G aviation headset with noise cancelling. Let me tell you a story of noise canceling quality differences. My instructor using a cheaper headset a David Clark wasn't able to hear a SAAB 340 turboprop Northwest Airlink Airliner being direct vectored by Memphis Center on a collision path same alt opposite heading. "He replied to me in internal comms did you get that? All I heard was static." I told him Memphis center called us traffic alert to an airliner less than one mile closing fast opposite heading. I told ATC the pilot equivalent of f*** off and die which is the infamous "Unable" word. Pretty soon nose to nose with the SAAB340B about 7x the size of the Cessna we were both pulling 60 degree steep turns to our right, cussing, sweating, counting rivets, and I'm certain those morning commuters lost their breakfast sliding off trays for certain. Anyhow, Memphis Center ATC apologized for the "screw up" as they put it. My dad strictly trust the Bose Aviation headsets as an ATP with 14 others lives on a daily basis as a corporate jet pilot after I told him my story he "upgraded" his headset.

The aviation light speed were about 85-90% of a aviation Bose. Nothing compares to the Bose. The difference in aviation for a crummy headset is you die.

Another Bose Quiet Comfort, over the ear headset vote. I've used them on all flights in the past 10+ years, including long C-130 flights (Afghanistan to Qatar w/5 stops). Doesn't matter if it's a 787 or a C-130J, the Bose QC's make my comfort level much higher. With them on, I can "tube out" the flight and nearby passengers, enjoying music, a movie or whatever in amazing quiet. I let my batteries die on a flight from Hawaii not long ago, and I was amazed how much more tired I was at the end of the flight to Dallas. Absolutely essential equipment for flying to me--would not travel without them (and my iPad loaded with movies/books).

25's have wires (work w/o batteries, and can be had at a discount now), 35's are Bluetooth only (more battery hungry).

Not quite. The QC35s do require the battery to be charged, but come with an aux cable which can be used instead of bluetooth, for example to use them with an airplane's inflight entertainment system.

Edit: Use of the Aux cable doubles battery life.

Last edited:
I have a pair of Bose QC35 and would not travel (significantly) without them. I put off buying them for years due to the cost, but once I pulled the trigger, I kicked myself for putting off so long. I flew about 75k miles last year and these are worth the space they and the cost.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Rocketry Forum mobile app
+1 On that 75K; amateur. Just kidding.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Rocketry Forum mobile app

I have a set of Bose QC15s. I forgot 'em when I went to NARCON (Seattle to Dallas on an A321, Dallas to Houston on a regional jet of some kind). I really kicked myself for forgetting. Return trip was on a 737-800...same thing.

I won't forget 'em when I go help at the TARC finals.....

I used to use set of less expensive Sennheisers that were smaller - an "on the ear" rather than "over the ear" type. They helped but not nearly as much.

Well I fly rental Cessnas. I trust my life to a light speed 3G aviation headset with noise cancelling. Let me tell you a story of noise canceling quality differences. My instructor using a cheaper headset a David Clark wasn't able to hear a SAAB 340 turboprop Northwest Airlink Airliner being direct vectored by Memphis Center on a collision path same alt opposite heading. "He replied to me in internal comms did you get that? All I heard was static." I told him Memphis center called us traffic alert to an airliner less than one mile closing fast opposite heading. I told ATC the pilot equivalent of f*** off and die which is the infamous "Unable" word. Pretty soon nose to nose with the SAAB340B about 7x the size of the Cessna we were both pulling 60 degree steep turns to our right, cussing, sweating, counting rivets, and I'm certain those morning commuters lost their breakfast sliding off trays for certain. Anyhow, Memphis Center ATC apologized for the "screw up" as they put it. My dad strictly trust the Bose Aviation headsets as an ATP with 14 others lives on a daily basis as a corporate jet pilot after I told him my story he "upgraded" his headset.

The aviation light speed were about 85-90% of a aviation Bose. Nothing compares to the Bose. The difference in aviation for a crummy headset is you die.

I'm pretty sure the question was based toward flying as a passenger and not a pilot. Pilot/ aviation headsets are a completely different price bracket. I wouldn't spend less than $800 on mine. In context I work as a pilot for a living.

I would also reconsider your position on blaming ATC if it was VFR conditions, See and Avoid applies to IMC conditions.
I have had Lightspeed Zulu 2s and 3s critically fail when needed. Multiple times, Lightspeed has always fixed them. My well taken care of David Clark's are 20 years old and are my go to back up.

I have to say I'm very partial to small in-ear types. I have no desire to carry around a big pair of over the ear headphones.

If you lean the same way I can enthusiastically recommend the Audio-Technica line. I've owned a couple of their in-ear models over the years (not really sure if anything I own is still a current offering) and they have all sounded great on music and isolated really, really well.

Good luck with your purchase.

I would also reconsider your position on blaming ATC if it was VFR conditions, See and Avoid applies to IMC conditions.
ATC formally apologized on comms, even after the airliner crew had a few choice words. They were being vectored by ATC opposite heading, to same altitude we were told to maintain a alt, they were being told expedite climb rate, the controller had erred the performance categories. A Cessna 150. In the Cessna, we were simply VFR in class B with clearance and we saw then avoided an airliner. I gave them unable. It was hazy with reduced vis and cloudy. The airliner did likewise. We all weren't on the same idea page with holding an altitude on a collision path with an airliner. That happened eight years ago. There were many good times with many other professional controllers that saved people. It's the one mistake they make that causes you problems. It's pretty unusual when an airliner crew cussed out ATC and the controller formally apologizes. That SAAB must've had a full truck of JetA and Pax cuz it wasn't doing what ATC wanted as fast as ATC expected. It was trying clawing for sky and it wasn't happening. High humidity, at 95-110F, and full truck of fuel in Memphis was always bad on climb rates. I'm glad I heard that message or I wouldn't be here to type this. So I followed see and avoid. So did the airliner. And the ATC guy apologized then another took his place for the shift. When ATC errs. ATC apologizes. He said later he meant for the SAAB to be 500ft above us.
The comms went dead silent for thirty seconds after the airliner jocks cussed. Then a FedEx flight chimed in "Memphis Center did you have your coffee this morning?" To lighten us all up. Memphis replied getting another cup one of our controllers needs a short break.
I've had controllers vector us around T storms that popped up and were helpful at times.

ATC formally apologized on comms, even after the airliner crew had a few choice words. They were being vectored by ATC opposite heading, to same altitude we were told to maintain a alt, they were being told expedite climb rate, the controller had erred the performance categories. A Cessna 150. In the Cessna, we were simply VFR in class B with clearance and we saw then avoided an airliner. I gave them unable. It was hazy with reduced vis and cloudy. The airliner did likewise. We all weren't on the same idea page with holding an altitude on a collision path as an airliner. That happened eight years ago. There were many good times with many other professional controllers that saved people. It's the one mistake they make that causes you problems. It's pretty unusual when an airliner crew cussed out ATC and the controller formally apologizes. That SAAB must've had a full truck of JetA and Pax cuz it wasn't doing what ATC wanted as fast as ATC expected. It was trying clawing for sky and it wasn't happening. High humidity and full truck of fuel in Memphis was always bad on climb rates. I'm glad I heard that message or I wouldn't be here to type this. So I followed see and avoid. So did the airliner. And the ATC guy apologized then another took his place for the shift. When ATC errs. ATC apologizes. He said later he meant for the SAAB to be 500ft above us.
The comms went dead silent for thirty seconds after the airliner jocks cussed.
I've had controllers vector us around T storms that popped up and were helpful at times.

My BS meter is pegged.

I ain't much for flying myself, but a friend uses the BOSE over-the-ear noise cancelling. They filter out all the white/background noise. She can hear the flight attendants and other voices perfectly. If she's not amenable to the conversations around her, she just plays music.

Not quite. The QC35s do require the battery to be charged, but come with an aux cable which can be used instead of bluetooth, for example to use them with an airplane's inflight entertainment system.

Edit: Use of the Aux cable doubles battery life.

I stand corrected - my wife flies with QC35's in BT only mode, while I'm rocking QC25's.

Either one sounds great, and both make for a much more enjoyable flying experience.

a

Love my H9i set. Always use equalizers at the source. Many headphones are rated poorly because of their out-of-box sound yet perform quite well (e.g. budget models) when tailored with an EQ.

[video=youtube;xpdcul2UiMY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpdcul2UiMY&t=0s[/video]

I agree that the over the ear cans are a pain due to their size but they work so well it's worth putting up with the grief.

Some of the padded covers to tend to get 'flaky' after a couple of years but you can buy replacements from 3rd party suppliers and replace them yourself. I've done that it the headphones were like new.

If you do some research you'll find that in addition to the Bose, the Sony WH-1000XM2 headphones are very often top rated for about the same price.

Tony

I have some QC35's and love them. I wouldn't fly commercial without them and a healthy load of racing podcast or music. BTW, nothing wrong with David Clarks despite what some say. They make a great product.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

My personal preference when traveling is either foamy ear plugs or Bose QCs. For personal civilian piloting stuff, I'm still rocking a 12 year old Bose X set & love them.

Another vote for Bose QC15 'phones. I don't fly without them. Did a comparison against Panasonic cans, Sony earbud style and a couple of others at work. QC15 was the best. Sony earbuds I could not tell the difference between on or off.

Not sure what you pay for them in the USA, but I picked up my pair in MBK market in Bangkok, Thailand, for $235. I think they retail here in oz for $400-450AUD.

The cheapies from Aldi supermarket actually work reasonably well, but not as good as the Bose. They are only 1/6 the price however, when they are on special!

ATC formally apologized on comms, even after the airliner crew had a few choice words. They were being vectored by ATC opposite heading, to same altitude we were told to maintain a alt, they were being told expedite climb rate, the controller had erred the performance categories. A Cessna 150. In the Cessna, we were simply VFR in class B with clearance and we saw then avoided an airliner. I gave them unable. It was hazy with reduced vis and cloudy. The airliner did likewise. We all weren't on the same idea page with holding an altitude on a collision path with an airliner. That happened eight years ago. There were many good times with many other professional controllers that saved people. It's the one mistake they make that causes you problems. It's pretty unusual when an airliner crew cussed out ATC and the controller formally apologizes. That SAAB must've had a full truck of JetA and Pax cuz it wasn't doing what ATC wanted as fast as ATC expected. It was trying clawing for sky and it wasn't happening. High humidity, at 95-110F, and full truck of fuel in Memphis was always bad on climb rates. I'm glad I heard that message or I wouldn't be here to type this. So I followed see and avoid. So did the airliner. And the ATC guy apologized then another took his place for the shift. When ATC errs. ATC apologizes. He said later he meant for the SAAB to be 500ft above us.
The comms went dead silent for thirty seconds after the airliner jocks cussed. Then a FedEx flight chimed in "Memphis Center did you have your coffee this morning?" To lighten us all up. Memphis replied getting another cup one of our controllers needs a short break.
Not going to sideline quarterback your decision but your post on when "unable" you defined as a way to tell ATC to in your words to, "F off". This is a bit of a hazardous attitude, I have also seen many of your posts to lack good character. Since this is not the place please feel free to pm or call me 623-980-3439. I'm a a CFI and can help you become a safer pilot through AOPA and the WINGS program. Were all human and all make mistakes for which we can learn from.

Not going to sideline quarterback your decision but your post on when "unable" you defined as a way to tell ATC to in your words to, "F off". This is a bit of a hazardous attitude, I have also seen many of your posts to lack good character. Since this is not the place please feel free to pm or call me 623-980-3439. I'm a a CFI and can help you become a safer pilot through AOPA and the WINGS program. Were all human and all make mistakes for which we can learn from.

While his posts show he's self-centered and irresponsible to the point of being dangerous, I believe the closest he's ever been to piloting a plane is watching one fly over his town.

Thanks man. Richie Lipford , Andrea Hammerton, and Josh Delee were my old CFI's. I'll give you a call someday when I'm not in poverty anymore. One instructor named Stephen got fired for spinning a Cessna 150 at 1,500 ft Agl during a lesson doing something not briefed over at AirVenture. I had to say sadly that I thought stephen's judgement was poor but learning spin recovery helped. The problem was Stephen literally yelled weeee and the other IP's said that maneuver should be started at 3k ft Agl and also in a briefing, I still love flying, but they told me what Stephen did was not what responsible CFIs do. Used to be an AOPA member and haven't flown in a few years. I always chose go around versus forcing a landing from a bad approach. Already had a bird strike and aborted takeoff. I'm not posting my logbook or Spl certificates for Ctroll to complain to FAA about. I have 45 hours of time. Some stuff you can't post about these days without getting judged.

While his posts show he's self-centered and irresponsible to the point of being dangerous, I believe the closest he's ever been to piloting a plane is watching one fly over his town.
Go ask Ken Hammerton at AirVenture KOLV about a guy named Andrew. I soloed there. Mr. Hammerton owns the flight school in Olive Branch, MS. He's an MD-11 pilot for FedEx also. Your like that Bob Clark troll guy. Get off the PC and stop hurling insults you can't even prove. N48400 was the tail number of the aircraft I soloed on. Josh Delee had to trust his instructor CFI certificate to me, at 17. I'm 25 now.

Back