Post Tension Failure Florida Bridge Collapse (video)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
Post Tension Failure Florida Bridge Collapse | Engineering EXPLAINED!

Warning, small amount of salty language by AvE as usual.

Who is the Canadian YouTuber "AvE"?
June 28, 2016

The irreverent Canadian YouTuber that goes by the name "AvE" produces great video content. He mostly tears apart power tools, engines, pump components, and electronicals to show us how they work (or don't work). He cusses with aplomb and offends all comers, but his "BOLTR" tool tear-downs are terrific. The AvE channel represents some of the best YouTube has to offer.

I suspect he is owner of a surface mining operation (aggregate or gold/diamonds). Trained in metallurgy, electronics, and hydraulics. Likely a formal education in mine engineering, possibly a licensed enginerd. Has the prospector gene. Wears more than one hat. Possible past job experience with a large mining company - a foreman or controls engineer/troubleshooter for Teck(?) or a heavy equipment dealer/servicer. He travels with some regularity, thus controls his own schedule and has reason to connect with other industry pros, do consulting work, purchase equipment, attend conferences, and act like a manager. I don't think he is a corpo-shill salesman, but he might buy/repair/use/sell heavy machinery. Hands like a Caterpillar mechanic. Glasses. Intermittent beard. Irish-Dutch with family ties to eastern Canada. Whoever he is, I wish he were my neighbor and/or hiring.

[video=youtube;KtiTm2dKLgU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtiTm2dKLgU[/video]

Scary stuff...

“MIAMI — An engineer reported cracks on a newly installed pedestrian bridge two days before it collapsed on a busy roadway here, killing at least six people, state officials said on Friday.

The report, by the lead engineer with the company in charge of the bridge’s design, was made in a voice mail message left for a Florida Department of Transportation employee. That employee was out of the office, however, and did not receive it until Friday, a day after the collapse.

The cracking was on the north end of the span but the company did not consider it a safety concern, according to a recording of the message released by the Transportation Department.

We’ve taken a look at it and, uh, obviously some repairs or whatever will have to be done, but from a safety perspective we don’t see that there’s any issue there so we’re not concerned about it from that perspective,” said the engineer, W. Denney Pate. “Although obviously the cracking is not good and something’s going to have to be, you know, done to repair that.
”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/16/us/florida-bridge-cracks.html

They had all the bridges in Fayette County, TN fail inspection. All the dirt was washing out from the under of new bridges! State spent MILLIONS putting new bridges in rural dirt swamps after one just fell in. Moved in 2015. I'd blame inferior A-36 and faulty water drainrage tactics.

Back