Crawf56's Rocket Glider Launch Pad

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crawf56

Pig Soooiiieee!!
Reaction score
Greetings, all. We focus so much on the gliders, that I thought it might be helpful to review the launch pad that I use for my rocket gliders.

m_IMG_1462.jpg

Note that I use a launch ROD. I originally used an Estes E-pad with a 1/4" launch rod. But I found that the E-pad was not sturdy enough for some of my rocket gliders. Also, the Estes 1/4" launch rod came in 3 pieces, and I seemed to be constantly damaging it in storage or transport.

I believe that launch RAILS are probably a better way to go; but my T-25 Centurian and my ARCIE II were set up for a launch rod. Thus, I have continued with launch rod lugs.

I have my 1/4" diameter launch rod at a roughly 5 degree angle. I fly at RC fields a lot, and I wanted a setup that allows me to launch the rocket glider from an RC airfield flight line, but also AWAY from the flight line.

m_IMG_2670.jpg

Since I am the only guy in my area (northeast Arkansas) the flies RC rocket gliders, I must make sure that I meet the safety concerns of organizers at various RC events. In my opinion, a "straight up" launch causes concerns.

The structure of my launch pad is based on a video at Dynasoar Rocketry for a Rail Launch Pad. (Frank has some pretty good ideas over there.)

I am using PVC tubing that I got at Lowe's. There is a center 4-hole connection, with three 1-foot and one 2-foot PVC tubes.

m_IMG_1463.jpg

Even though the pad can be dismantled, I leave the tubes connected.

I drilled 1/4" diameter holes through the center PVC connector to hold the launch rod.

m_IMG_2669.jpg

I made an "angle gauge" out of cardboard to roughly get my 5 degree orientation for my hand drill, when drilling the holes all the way through the center piece. I used a round file to open the hole slightly to help the rod fit.

I use a rod collar on the back of the launch rod to hold the rod on the pad. I just leave it on. Since I am almost always on a grass surface, the rod collar & rod sticking out below the center PVC connector (about 1/4" inch) doesn't cause a problem.

m_IMG_2671.jpg

So, when I get to the field, I run the Launch Rod through the Pad Support Structure, and place it on the ground. Then I put a Blast Deflector from an old E-pad over the launch rod, down to the Support Structure.

m_IMG_2668.jpg

I also place a piece of a brick on the Blast Deflector. The weight helps to keep the pad steady, and lifts the model up off the Blast Deflector.

m_IMG_1464.jpg

I got my 1/4 inch diameter launch rod from McMaster-Carr (an industry parts supply company). I looked at various stainless steel rods.

Part Number 88855K - Made of 17-4 Stainless Steel - Cost: $26

Part Number 87095K82 - Made of 15-5 Stainless Steel - Cost: $22

Part Number 89325K91 - Made of 316 Stainless Steel - Cost: $14

These are all 6-feet long. I cut my rod down to 4 feet (48 inches). Has to be long enough to guide the rocket glider, and short enough to not cause a "whip" effect during launch.

Like how portable and quick/easy to build this is. I modeled mine after an online version, also made of PVC, and although its really adjustable and I included an umbilical attachment for gliders, it's a pain to assemble/disassemble so now I'm just using an old tripod with an adapter to mount the launch rod.

I leave the Cross assembled (4 ft x 2-1/2 ft) and it easily fits in the floor of my van, and back of my SUV (Explorer).

My launch rod is one piece, and I leave the rod collar on. My assembly is:

Step 1: Run Launch Rod thru Cross. Set on ground.

Step 2: Put Blast Deflector over Launch Rod, slides down to Cross.

Step 3: Well......I'm pretty much done. I have a piece of brick that I use to hold the Rocket Glider off the Blast Deflector.

You must have large gliders that use D and above motors?

You are correct. I have an Estes launch pad with a 1/8" diameter launch rod for rockets and smaller gliders.

My "main" area of interest is RC scale models. For example, I am currently building a 1/3 scale Nieuport 28 (WW1 fighter; model has 9 ft. wingspan). But these scale projects take months, or even years, and sometimes I need a break from them. One of my side interests is RC rocket gliders.

You are correct. I have an Estes launch pad with a 1/8" diameter launch rod for rockets and smaller gliders.

My "main" area of interest is RC scale models. For example, I am currently building a 1/3 scale Nieuport 28 (WW1 fighter; model has 9 ft. wingspan). But these scale projects take months, or even years, and sometimes I need a break from them. One of my side interests is RC rocket gliders.

Really like DynaSoar Rocketry's models. I may eventually go that route myself once I learn all I can about non-RC rocket gliders.

Latest posts

Back