Is the TeleMega still the only electronics than can sense tilt or orientation?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jahall4

Reaction score
Is the Mega's (Tele and Easy) still the only electronics than can sense the tilt or orientation of a staged rocket to inhibit ignition of the sustainer?

Altus Metrum rocks, love the Telemega, TeleGPS and TeleBT units.

What's the expected availability?

I'm not really sure yet... I'm hoping to at least get the beta out sometime this summer, but it all depends on how much time I have to work on it. The biggest hurdles right now are code and 1206 footprints- Cris "Egg" Erving gave me some suggestions for hand soldering footprints but they really don't look right... When I have some time to work on it I can take calipers to my Eggfinder and see how it's set up.

I can add you to the beta list if you're interested...
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?142671-ArdIU-Open-source-flight-computer-w-ATMega328/

I'm not really sure yet... I'm hoping to at least get the beta out sometime this summer, but it all depends on how much time I have to work on it. The biggest hurdles right now are code and 1206 footprints- Cris "Egg" Erving gave me some suggestions for hand soldering footprints but they really don't look right... When I have some time to work on it I can take calipers to my Eggfinder and see how it's set up.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?142671-ArdIU-Open-source-flight-computer-w-ATMega328/

Sure, I'll test just about anything, even have private field for testing. Reading the thread now.

1206 footprints are quite easy to solder, whichever footprint you use. A good iron, technique and practice. Tweezer technique is the critical skill IMHO. Because that is usually used as the non-dominant hand it is usually lagging a little at the start.

From my POV 1206 and 0805 are easy, whatever footprint, with the right technique. 0603 footprints could possibly benefit by being a bit longer for better iron contact for hand soldering, and 0402 pads definitely need to be lengthened for hand soldering. They are a royal PITA (pain in the a...) as the footprint is typically the same length as the part in order to prevent tomb-stoning parts during reflow soldering.

Anything NEW recently. Ready to try some equipment that can do HPR staging with tilt and orientation sensing and finding the EasyMega unavailable.

The Proton uses some form of Baro and Accelerometer algorithim to detect off axis if I understand correctly.
The Marsa AFAIK does require a Marsa Altimeter.

The Proton uses some form of Baro and Accelerometer algorithim to detect off axis if I understand correctly.
The Marsa AFAIK does require a Marsa Altimeter.

This page talks about it attaching: https://www.marsasystems.com/index.php/gadgets/marsa-gyro1-tilt-module

...and apparently its not available yet.

... and interestingly this page on the Marsa site appears to debunk the use of accel-baro for accurate tilt protection less than 45 degrees: https://www.marsasystems.com/index.php/tech-info/can-an-accelerometer-and-baro-sensor-detect-tilt

... and now I'm finding that even the EasyMega is not available. So as of right now the TeleMega is the only flight computer that can fit in 38mm :(

Add it to the cart. Removing the "Preorders" now.

Hi John, just now noticing you're with Marsa. I have some questions about purchasing and use, would you prefer an email or can I ask them here?

Hi John, just now noticing you're with Marsa. I have some questions about purchasing and use, would you prefer an email or can I ask them here?

You can email, pm or if you think the question would have general benefit a post in a forum is fine. I would prefer not to derail this thread but if its about tilt, there is a thread in the Vendors forum on the Gyro module.

You can email, pm or if you think the question would have general benefit a post in a forum is fine. I would prefer not to derail this thread but if its about tilt, there is a thread in the Vendors forum on the Gyro module.

Since my questions are not just about the module... PM via TRF Okay?

If you are into DIY, there are a number of gyro sensors in the arduino and trinket world. Was going that route awhile back but life got in the way.

Back