Honest John-Mike Dorffler’s Scale Data CD Disk Catalog -& John Pursley Drawing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowga

A.K.A. 'Mr. HoJo'
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a BAR with a serious obsession for my favorite rocket of all time, The Douglas "Honest John" missile. I'm slowly building a collection of these models in all variations that I can find, while scratch building a few of my own. Google searches and a trip through the NAR archives quickly delivered the Harry Stine Drawing, Peter Alway's two drawing set, and other gems.

But I'm hungry for more. The NAR Archives have a PDF copy of the Aug. 1987 issue of American Spacemodeling. On pages 8-9 of that issue, there is a scale drawing by John Pursley. Unfortunately, the pages appear to have been scanned individually at slightly different perspectives. Attempts to "stitch" the pages together in Photoshop have so far been unsuccessful. See my best attempt so far below.

I'd love to find a copy of the original magazine, or a better PDF scan of the complete centerfold drawing.

Another gem I'm looking for is a 2005 offering from Mike Dorffier called the "Scale Data CD Disk Catalog." There is an ad for the set here, but the e-mail isn't valid anymore. Anyone have a set for sale--or a suggestion for how to obtain a copy.

https://www.modellraketen-forum.de/board/messages/9293/cat_MDorffler-27304.pdf

Hungry for any and all scale data on either variant of the Honest John. Happy to share whatever treasures I uncover. So far, my efforts have been limited to Sport Scale versions, but I plan to tackle a competition-level effort for this landmark weapon soon.

Thanks in advance for other HoJo fans!

Thats the holy grail of Scale Data CDs, many want them, few have them. I would be great if we could figure out how to get them reprinted.

Thats the holy grail of Scale Data CDs, many want them, few have them. I would be great if we could figure out how to get them reprinted.

All it would take is someone to do it. The information is most likely public domain. Not that it is right for someone to make a huge profit off Mikes work (may he rest in peace) but for someone to make copies for the cost of the CD or DVD should be ok.

My apologies, I did not realize that Mike had passed. I have a source in Chicago who could easily duplicate the CD's if someone had a set to use as the masters. Perhaps the proceeds could be donated to his family or a suitable benefactor like the NAR? The money could be used for a scholarship in Mike's name, etc. While surely a labor of love, sales would be pretty limited--nobody is going to get rich off rocket reference materials.

All it would take is someone to do it. The information is most likely public domain. Not that it is right for someone to make a huge profit off Mikes work (may he rest in peace) but for someone to make copies for the cost of the CD or DVD should be ok.

This subject has an internet recycle time of about three years (i.e., that's about how often it comes up). While the individual drawings and photos may be public, I believe there is something called a 'collection copyright' that covers the organization of the data. The CD's couldn't be copied directly without permission of his estate, but presumably owners could share selected bits of public data from them.

Our company could easily do the required duplication of CD's. I'd also be happy to reach out to Mike's estate to work out any potential copyright issues.

Does anyone on the list know Mike's wife's name or other contact information? If so, please send me a PM-and I'll reach out.

Also does anyone on the list have a copy of the CD's that they'd be willing to copy onto a flash (thumb) drive and send to me. No duplication or sharing of the contents will occur until we have permission from the estate.

I'm specifically looking for Scale Data Collection Set 1-Disk 3 - Great pictorial and documentation set of the US Army Honest John field artillery missile. A Hi-Res photo set shows rivets,markings, and assembly in sharp detail.

Unfortunately, I don't see anything about the Honest John in the NAR Technical Services USB key listings. If it's there, I'd be happy to purchase it.

Thirty-three CDs.
V2 & Bumper
V2 Hi-Res 1
V2 Hi-Res 2
Honest John
Taurus-Tomahawk
Standard Missile
LTV Scout
Little Joe I
Little Joe II
Nike Hercules
Thor-Delta
Navy Terrier
Talos & Tartar
Mercury Redstone

Russian Series -- Six discs:
Russian missiles
Buran
Proton
Kosmos
R-7
N-1

Saturn History series - five discs:
Saturn Drawings
Saturn PDF files
Saturn V at KSC
Saturn V reference
Saturn IB reference

John Pursley Photo Colllection -- eight discs:
Apollo 11 archive
Saturn I images
Saturn V at JSC
Saturn IB 1
Saturn IB 2
Saturn V 1
Saturn V 2
Saturn V 3

I also have a set of original Argo D-4 Javelin blueprints ( REAL "Blueprints" ) which, of course, has an Honest John as the first stage.

The drawing have numerous sheets. They are 36" wide and several feet long each. Two large mailing tubes house the original drawings, while a third tube contains scans made from the originals.

I could be persuaded to sell them . . . A disk with over 650MB of Honest John data would accompany them.

This is "one of a kind" data and a "once in a lifetime" chance to own it !

Let me know, if interested . . . My email address is [email protected].

Please contact me via email, as I am not always on the forum.

Thanks !

Dave F.

Our company could easily do the required duplication of CD's. I'd also be happy to reach out to Mike's estate to work out any potential copyright issues.

Does anyone on the list know Mike's wife's name or other contact information? If so, please send me a PM-and I'll reach out.

Using information found on his tombstone, her name is Victoria G.

58860261_134849643236.jpg

I'd try contacting someone at Estes to see if they are still in touch with the family.

If someone is going to make copies iam interested in a set to purchase. If the price isn't crazy Id be willing to buy the originals and provide them to someone for copies so we could all enjoy them and preserve there existence for future individuals. [email protected]

Back