My latest OpenRocket project...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Any guesses as to what it is EXACTLY? Individuals who work for the company involved are excluded...

Guess (Front).png

Guess (Reverse).png

Looks like an RMS Casing for a alternate to an Estes C-11-3 in APCP flavor. I see a supersonic diffuser in nozzle area, a liner, a o-ring, and a closure forward seal with what appears as a delay grain. I don't know specifics of what motor you want, but this appears as a solid rocket fuel propulsion unit.
This looks like a complete casing minus fuel grain geometry and appears as reloadable.

Wait, you built this in OR? Am I understanding this correctly?

Looks like a new Quest motor of some sort. Very short grain with long spacer so probably on the lower end newton-wise.

Other than that, I'm baffled and impressed.

Definitely the new Quest B4 motor. This illustration reinforces the question I have about using them which is "how hard is it going to be to get the igniter in the right place with all that empty space between the grain and the nozzle?" I can envision putting it in at an angle and thinking it's in the right spot but finding out it's at the base of the grain rather than up in the core where it is supposed to be. But that's all speculation until I get one actually in my hands. Hopefully that will be "soon".

Rear closure is threaded, but the nozzle end is not, so I would guess that you have a CTI'ish motor.... However I do not see a line or thrust ring so am probably wrong.

Wait, you built this in OR? Am I understanding this correctly?
Other than that, I'm baffled and impressed
Yup!!! Thanks!

As for the rest of you... I was told not to give too much away, so I can't confirm or deny any thing else at this time.

Yup!!! Thanks!

As for the rest of you... I was told not to give too much away, so I can't confirm or deny any thing else at this time.

I at least want to know one thing. How many individual parts are used in that model?!

Yup!!! Thanks!

How the crap did you thread something in OR! Normally I use solidworks at university for threads.

Thread? I don't know what you mean.

However, I'm willing to bet that the answer is: "I cheated". There are a number of zero length, phantom body tubes involved.

The only possible reason I can think of for something like this would be to have a cool cutaway for OR's rocket motor selection.

Otherwise, an hour with pretty much any solid modeling program would produce something similar.

Glad you got paid for it at any rate, that couldn't have been quick....

The only possible reason I can think of for something like this would be to have a cool cutaway for OR's rocket motor selection.

Otherwise, an hour with pretty much any solid modeling program would produce something similar.

Glad you got paid for it at any rate, that couldn't have been quick....
If you're producing it for ad copy, you've instantly got the right look and feel for people who are already familiar with OR.

If you're illustrating new motor instructions for Q-jet LMS, that's a handy library to have.

But I do let my mind wander.

Well, it looks like someone (Gary C Rosenfield) blabbed... :wink:

3D renderings by Jim Parsons of the new Quest Q-Jets for the motor instruction sheet. Despite the way it looks, getting the initiator placed at the top of the propellant core space is not difficult at all. The slot for the A motor is actually quite large and runs from one side of the grain to the other. The slot for the B motor is somewhat narrower but extends past the centerline of the grain by about 1/16”. The C and D motors are center core burners. The Q-Jets were designed so that the initiator is positioned at the same location regardless of motor size. This is accomplished by a spacer tube installed between the propellant grain and nozzle. There is a piece of heat shrink tubing on the initiator leads that serves as a visual indicator of proper placement.

Well, it looks like someone (Gary C Rosenfield) blabbed... :wink:

Thanks for that blurb from Gary R. I'm sure I'll have little trouble with the igniter installation. But since they (Quest) sell bulk packs for schools/Scout groups/etc. I will be really interested to see if first-time rocketeer kids can do it accurately after unfolding the igniter from its packaging. I sincerely hope I get to find out soon as I'm really looking forward to these motors.

We all know that Estes igniters/starters have their own quirks that befuddle anxious young people (and older folks as well from time to time). These "FirstFire Micros" will just have different things for us to learn.

The instructions posted on the Quest site currently have a cutaway rather than your lovely 3D rendering.

Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 10.02.24 AM.jpg

Back