lightnin kit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericm541

Reaction score
Found this cool kit from a vintage toy store, called lightnin 2 stage 24MM in booster and upper. Only issue is 2 of the body tubes are crushed on one end. I only opened it after i talked the owner down in price and to show the damage. Just wanted to share this, i'll probably build it.
IMG_2115[1].jpgIMG_2116[1].jpgIMG_2117[1].jpg

Found this cool kit from a vintage toy store, called lightnin 2 stage 24MM in booster and upper. Only issue is 2 of the body tubes are crushed on one end. I only opened it after i talked the owner down in price and to show the damage. Just wanted to share this, i'll probably build it.
View attachment 340913View attachment 340914View attachment 340915

Awesome; that was the one Custom Rocket I always wanted, but never stumbled upon. Good find!

Sam is right on...Custom used stock Estes body tubes. I do believe a stock 18" length of BT-60 is an exact replacement.

Enjoy, and thanks for sharing!

One of my first two-stage rockets. Have fun with it . It's a great kit and flies well one or two stages.

I used to fly one of these - until I put in a D12-0/D12-7 in a small field :D I'd recommend a C11-0 booster and C11-5 sustainer for the first flights (get 'em while you can, as they're being discontinued).

Rutland toy and hobby, it's on route 7 right next to where the other hobby store use to be. They mainly have alot of old vintage toys like from my time, He-man, G.I. JOE, old game consoles/games. Very little for rocketry however, i take my daughter to gymnastics next door so i'll stop in frequently.

I used to fly one of these - until I put in a D12-0/D12-7 in a small field :D I'd recommend a C11-0 booster and C11-5 sustainer for the first flights (get 'em while you can, as they're being discontinued).

Another option for sustainer would be an 18 mm motor with an adapter. Since the A Engine has a wider nozzle, it is a bit more reliable for BP staging than B Or C.

Another option for sustainer would be an 18 mm motor with an adapter. Since the A Engine has a wider nozzle, it is a bit more reliable for BP staging than B Or C.

The B4 has the same nozzle size as the A8. I often use a B4-4 in sustainers for this reason, unless I really need a -6 delay.

Any idea what you paid for this? We have a club member who is terminally ill and are having a tag sale of some of his rocket stuff to raise money. I know this is not the correct venue to sell. I am not looking to sell, just trying to find the fair market value of this kit and the Matra.

not sure if it would work or not, but could also try an 18-24 mm adapter(s), and go with an 18 mm motor at least in the SUSTAINER, not sure if the stack would be liftable with a C6-0 in the booster or not. An A8-5 would work well in the sustainer. A8-3 might be too short a delay, although could probably get away with it if it recovers with a streamer. Might get a zipper from premature ejection with A8-3 if it has a chute.

hope you get two straight trails!

Back