Does anyone know or have tried this Saturn V conversion plan?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does the attached Saturn V plan work for anyone else?

• Yes, I have built it and flown it and it works.

• Yes, but the motors I used are different from the ones in the plan.

• Yes, I have bulit it, but have not flown it.

• No, the way it is set up did not work for me.

Results are only viewable after voting.

THAAD_rocket

Reaction score
Does anyone know or have tried this 1/100 Centuri Saturn V conversion to 2 stage cluster plan in the attached PDF file?

Attachments

• 2 stage Saturn V in 3 pgs.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 152
I haven't tried it, but the article is very outdated, and some of the techniques are outright obsolete. It mentions fuses and flashbulbs. Modern designs use timers, altimeters, and/or accelerometers to air start the second stage when direct staging is not possible. You can program the second stage to ignite after a certain time after first stage ignition (timer), at a certain altitude (altimeter) , or after the first stage motor burnout is detected (accelerometer). Makes things more reliable, but takes some planning and dinero.

BTW here's a link to Verna and Randy DeArman's Saturn V page where they have a five engine clustered and a three stage 11 engine Saturn V.

https://www.sears572.com/supersaturnv.htm

I have an Estes #2157 that I got about 4 years ago in a trade for some Eggtimers. The plan is to make it a two stager with flip-out fins on the top stage, with five 24mm motors on the bottom and one 29mm up top. The way that it's constructed actually makes doing any two stage conversion relatively easy... if you've done one before. Like kuririn says, you'd want to use modern electronics, if for no other reason than that they have safety features built in to prevent unintended ignitions.

By writing tried I meant fly it, too. Thanks for the feedback about this conversion
and the suggestions about 24mm and 29mm motors, etc., and so upload some
photos of this successful launch.

Back