Thoughts and questions on C11-3 discontinuation?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc_G

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I was looking to stock up for my year (or two) of LPR with a big order from AC Supply. Big for me is "just enough to get free shipping."

Anyway, I was planning to order a bunch of C11-3s because that is one of my most-used engines. I fly on small fields, and the 24mm birds that would normally fly on D12/E12 frequently need a C11 due to winds that threaten to carry my rocket into the trees. C11-3 specifically, because -5 is too much delay. C6 engines don't have enough oomph off the pad for many of my rockets.

I've seen notes here on the forum about the discontinuation of these, hence my desire to stock up, as well as the Hobbico bankruptcy.

What's hard to grasp for me is why the -3 would be discontinued but not the -5 instead. I would think many more rockets can be successfully flown on C11-3 versus C11-5.

I'm in marketing, so I understand the answer is really "what doesn't sell so much gets discontinued" but in a rational world, wouldn't it make more sense to kill off the -5 instead?

Or maybe I'm missing something.

I wound up ordering 5 packs of C11-3 from a place I found online (Jet?) for a decent price (under $11/3-pack, free shipping).

Now I'll have to order more other stuff from AC Supply to hit the free ship threshold... :wink:

I have heard that the entire C11 and E9 lines are being discontinued. I would also like to stock up on C11-3, as I often use them the same way you do. Glad you found some.

I suspect that the C11-3s were just the first to sell out. As far as we know, all of the C11s have been discontinued.

Oh, No! That totally sucks.

What do we know about Aerotech/Quest upcoming APCP offerings? Anything in the range of the C11 line?

All my favorite ones seem to get discontinued. First the Quest D5 series, now this...

The entire C11 motor line is being discontinued.

The C11-3s were the most popular so they were the first to go OOP.

Quest ("Aerotech" related):

Blackmax propellant.

18mm x 70 mm

A3 certified and available to pre-order

B4 certified and available to pre-order

C8 "soon?"

D12 "soon?"

Possible other propellants and other average thrusts hinted at.

Oh, No! That totally sucks.

What do we know about Aerotech/Quest upcoming APCP offerings? Anything in the range of the C11 line?

All my favorite ones seem to get discontinued. First the Quest D5 series, now this...

The first thrust curves to appear for the new Quest motors included a C8 and D12. Subsequently curves for a C14 and D16 have gone up. Maybe both Cs will be produced?

I’ve still got a bunch of these C11 motors, but no rockets that fly on them. Now that the local club doesn’t hold monthly LPR launches anymore, when I go to their HPR launches, I fly HPR. If anyone in the SF Bay Area is interested and will be attending LUNAR or TCC launches, let me know.

Oh man that news stinks. Is there any known reason that has come from estes as to why they'd discontinue the C11 and E9 lines?

Oh man that news stinks. Is there any known reason that has come from estes as to why they'd discontinue the C11 and E9 lines?
Not official, but both use the same "slow" 24mm nozzle... My guess is they're ditching that nozzle type to save on manufacturing costs.

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

I’ve still got a bunch of these C11 motors, but no rockets that fly on them. Now that the local club doesn’t hold monthly LPR launches anymore, when I go to their HPR launches, I fly HPR. If anyone in the SF Bay Area is interested and will be attending LUNAR or TCC launches, let me know.

I fly these at the SARG launches quite a bit as it has a smaller field. Agree though, when I go to LUNAR it's always H and up... let me know if you need to find a home for them. My last check in the LPR box showed I had six C11-0's (boosters for small 2-stagers) and two C11-3's (Mostly for my Mercury Redstone 24mm)

Back