Where does the Black Brant X separate?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LithosphereRocketry

Pining for the Fjords
Reaction score
I'm plotting an evil plan to build a staged Black Brant X sounding rocket, and, long story short, I can't figure out where it separates. PML seems to think it's below the transition:
MiniBBXKim300t.jpg

But if the "middle" stage is a Black Brant V, then it shouldn't have a boattail: (huge image)
https://i.redd.it/0p0igka4ibiy.jpg
9k=

9k=

I give up... What's the answer?

The plot thickens...

blackbrant-9__soarex-8__1.jpg

This Black Brant IX seems to be igniting from underneath BOTH transitions... who do I believe?

I'm plotting an evil plan to build a staged Black Brant X sounding rocket, and, long story short, I can't figure out where it separates. PML seems to think it's below the transition:
MiniBBXKim300t.jpg

But if the "middle" stage is a Black Brant V, then it shouldn't have a boattail: (huge image)
https://i.redd.it/0p0igka4ibiy.jpg
9k=

9k=

I give up... What's the answer?

Stage separation is at the top of the silver bit, at the root corner of the fin. There is no boattail--that is the upper part of the Terrier booster. PML got it wrong.

Peter Alway

The plot thickens...

blackbrant-9__soarex-8__1.jpg

This Black Brant IX seems to be igniting from underneath BOTH transitions... who do I believe?

This version of the Black Brant has an enlarged high-altitude nozzle on the second stage. The separation is at the top of the silver inverted cone--the white cone above that is the nozzle extension on the second stage. The smoke/flame in mid rocket is from spin motors, not stage separation. Stage separation happens at high altitude, so me time after booster burnout.

Peter Alway

Thanks for the help! That's about what I thought, but I wanted to make sure.

To add to the confusion, LOC has their Black Brant upper stage kit include the silver cylindrical part but not the transition... If I understand right, this is incorrect and the stage should end at the base of the fins?
YBBX3-Key.jpg

Back