Lakeroadster's X-Wing Alpha Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakeroadster

When in doubt... build hell-for-stout!
Reaction score
Spent some time today making a CAD model of a rocket heavily influenced by the Star Wars X-Wing Fighter. Also borrows from the Centuri Rocket Times X-Wing Fighter Design contest, circa 1977.

Scaled to utilize an Estes Alpha nose cone and BT-50 body tube.. since the Alpha was the first model I ever built, back in the early 70's. Since this will be my first build since the mid 1980's I thought a tip of the hat to Estes was a good call.

I'm thinking US Army Olive Green paint and stenciling...

I thought about an Honest John Nose Cone, flattened in the line of sight from the cockpit. But I'm wondering if that would drive the rocket in the opposite direction?

You're thoughts / comments / advice are always welcome.

John

X-Wing Alpha US Army 001.JPG

X-Wing Alpha US Army 002.JPG

Seriously thinking of this myself. Will be watching, make lots of posts!

Some updates on the X-wing. It's designed so it can use B, C, & D series engines.

I've got a really nice Encyclopedia of WWII Aircraft and the colors I chose are loosely based on some of the photo's of old warbirds. You know, "a long, long time ago.. but in a galaxy not so far away".

Tell me your thoughts...

X-Wing Alpha Dwg Sheet 1 of 4.jpg

X-Wing Alpha Dwg Sheet 2 of 4.jpg

X-Wing Alpha Dwg Sheet 3 of 4.jpg

X-Wing Alpha Dwg Sheet 4 of 4.jpg

X-Wing Alpha US Army 001.JPG

X-Wing Alpha US Army 003.JPG

X-Wing Alpha US Army 004.JPG

My thoughts: can I buy a copy of these plans when you're satisfied?

Else can I work on proofreading / techwriting / testbuilding or in some other way obtain a set?

Help write an article for Sport Rocketry? These plans are beautiful.

My thoughts: can I buy a copy of these plans when you're satisfied?

Else can I work on proofreading / techwriting / testbuilding or in some other way obtain a set?

Help write an article for Sport Rocketry? These plans are beautiful.

Thanks.

Please feel free to use them as you so fit. I'm a retired ME / Designer / CAD Monkey...

For me it's all about the design and build, be it rocketry, cars, decks, barns, whatever.

Can you unwrap the canopy to get a flat pattern that you can cut out from a cardstock sheet, or were you planning to carve it from balsa or 3D print it?

Revised drawings. Added dimensional details, color schematic and a wrap around fin template.

X-Wing Alpha Rev 01 Dwg Sheet 5 of 5.jpg

X-Wing Alpha Rev 01 Dwg Sheet 4 of 5.jpg

X-Wing Alpha Rev 01 Dwg Sheet 3 of 5.jpg

X-Wing Alpha Rev 01 Dwg Sheet 2 of 5.jpg

X-Wing Alpha Rev 01 Dwg Sheet 1 of 5.jpg

Attachments

• X-Wing Alpha US Army 004.JPG
    X-Wing Alpha US Army 004.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 108
Thanks guys. I really enjoy making the models and drawings. If I can help anybody here by making drawings of their rockets... let me know.

I may take you up one that later on. I have an OR project that I want to "kit" for my son. I think that he would get a kick out of seeing it in full kit form with well done drawings like yours.

Created an Exploded View.

Time to order components. Seems like Balsa Machining Service has everything I need and thus would be a one order online purchase. Any reason not to use them?

X-wing Alpha US Army Exploded View.JPG

X-Wing Alpha Rev 03 Dwg Sheet 6 of 6.jpg

I have ordered from BMS quite a bit over the years. Never had a problem.

Absolutely no reason at all, Bill and Mary at BMS have some of the best service and quality of any vendor in the business.

Time to order components. Seems like Balsa Machining Service has everything I need and thus would be a one order online purchase. Any reason not to use them?

Bill @BMS is a fantastic source of parts and motors (Estes and AT).
I've placed multiple orders from him in the past, and will do so again in the future.

John,
I do have a question for you - is there an elegant way to import your autoCAD drawing into OpenRocket (.rkt file), so that one could simulate its stability and performance with different motors?

I ran into that very same challenge with Estes Shuttle (another cool and complex model). Would have loved to have a way to have a .rkt (or .ork) file of that rocket, preferably before I flew and found out the hard way that D12 was too wimpy for my final weight (crash landed into snow, minimal damage).
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...stes-Shuttle-and-Stack)&p=1776809#post1776809

a

Bill @BMS is a fantastic source of parts and motors (Estes and AT).
I've placed multiple orders from him in the past, and will do so again in the future.

John,
I do have a question for you - is there an elegant way to import your autoCAD drawing into OpenRocket (.rkt file), so that one could simulate its stability and performance with different motors?

I ran into that very same challenge with Estes Shuttle (another cool and complex model). Would have loved to have a way to have a .rkt (or .ork) file of that rocket, preferably before I flew and found out the hard way that D12 was too wimpy for my final weight (crash landed into snow, minimal damage).
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...stes-Shuttle-and-Stack)&p=1776809#post1776809

a

Next time I have the CAD station fired up I'll look to see if there is an export file type that may work. Cool video by the way..

... to all who posted their accolades in regards to Balsa Machining Services, thank you. I ordered all the components today.

Looking forward to the build. As you can probably tell I'm not in a huge hurry.. for me, being a retired fella, getting back into rocketry is more of an adventure than a competition.

I modeled the X-Wing Alpha on Open Rocket today. It's my first attempt at using Open Rocket. Seems like an awesome program.

I added a bit of weight to the bottom of the nose cone for stability.. and I haven't added the cockpit... and not sure how to add the tube fins on the tips of the x-wings.

I've attached the .ork file, anybody care to take a look and share their thoughts?

Thanks!

X-Wing Alpha Open Rocket 04-14-2018.jpg

View attachment X-Wing Alpha.ork

Latest posts

Back