Should We Open Some Sealed Apollo Moon Samples?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
Should We Open Some Sealed Apollo Moon Samples?

https://www.space.com/39870-should-we-open-sealed-apollo-moon-samples.html

Between 1969 and 1972, Apollo astronauts brought back to Earth a total of nine containers of moon material that were sealed on the lunar surface.

Two of the larger sealed samples were collected by Apollo 17 moonwalkers in December 1972. Three sealed samples from Apollo 15, 16 and 17 remain unopened. (to preserve "volatiles", substances with relatively low boiling points. - W)

"Samples were intentionally saved for a time when technology and instrumentation had advanced to the point that we could maximize the scientific return on these unique samples," said NASA's Ryan Zeigler, Apollo sample curator and manager of the Astromaterials Acquisition and Curation Office in Houston.

"Given the recent renewed interest in the moon, and specifically about the volatile budget of lunar regolith, these sealed samples likely contain information that would be important in the design of future lunar missions," Zeigler said.

Zeigler isn't the only researcher who'd like to unseal some of the remaining Apollo samples. He's joined in this advocacy by Charles Shearer of the Institute of Meteoritics, Department of Earth and Planetary Science at the University of New Mexico and Clive Neal at the Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering & Earth Sciences at the University of Notre Dame in Indiana.

They'll be making their case later this month at the 49th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference, which is organized by the Lunar & Planetary Institute in Houston, an arm of the Universities Space Research Association. The conference will be held in The Woodlands, Texas, from March 19 through March 23.

I would say yes we should. They do no good just sitting in a bag. Open them and study them- isn’t that why we went and got them in the first place?

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

842 lbs were brought back to earth. Most were opened but three containers may still be sealed. It’s difficult to know how well they are sealed although mass of the containers should be an indication depending on unfilled volume.
When the containers were first returned the technology to detect some volatile compounds didn’t exist. Some of that now does, but of course we don’t know what we don’t know. Detection of volatile compounds allowed water to be detected in some lunar samples. What if our future science allows us to detect other volatile compounds? Once unsealed volatile compounds can off gas (I don’t understand how billions of years of vacuum didn’t evaporate everything already) and/or other volatile compounds in earths atmosphere can affect the samples, so unless there’s something specific they want to test, keeping them sealed might be smart. Or perhaps reseal them into smaller containers.

842 lbs were brought back to earth. Most were opened but three containers may still be sealed. It’s difficult to know how well they are sealed although mass of the containers should be an indication depending on unfilled volume.
When the containers were first returned the technology to detect some volatile compounds didn’t exist. Some of that now does, but of course we don’t know what we don’t know. Detection of volatile compounds allowed water to be detected in some lunar samples. What if our future science allows us to detect other volatile compounds? Once unsealed volatile compounds can off gas (I don’t understand how billions of years of vacuum didn’t evaporate everything already) and/or other volatile compounds in earths atmosphere can affect the samples, so unless there’s something specific they want to test, keeping them sealed might be smart. Or perhaps reseal them into smaller containers.

Steve, I think we open them. Then if we need more moon rocks I guess we would just need to go back to the moon. Heck, we should have never left the moon.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

One of my other interests is archaeology. In that field, today's scientists are re-sifting the "junk" and cast-off "debris" from digs done in the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's because we are now finding new discoveries in piles of what, only a few years ago, was useless dirt. We are finding new things in sites that have been long known and repeatedly studied using drones, ground penetrating radar, and other new tools. We've made incredible leaps in the last 20 years alone. So, while we obviously know far more than we did during the Apollo era, the reality is that in 20 more years our current capability will likely seem antiquated. So, do we open it now or wait for later? Do we run the risk that the samples will be lost or destroyed in some way in the next 20 years and lose any opportunity to study what we have? I say, maybe try both. Archaeology does that. Some sites are deliberately left un-excavated so that future generations can start with a clean slate, and what is excavated today, is often reburied to protect it from the elements (and thieves) to preserve it for future generations. Why not open one container for study (or, as someone suggested, repackage it into smaller containers if possible), study some of it, preserve it as best we can using modern techniques, and leave some for future generations?

One of my other interests is archaeology. In that field, today's scientists are re-sifting the "junk" and cast-off "debris" from digs done in the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's because we are now finding new discoveries in piles of what, only a few years ago, was useless dirt. We are finding new things in sites that have been long known and repeatedly studied using drones, ground penetrating radar, and other new tools. We've made incredible leaps in the last 20 years alone. So, while we obviously know far more than we did during the Apollo era, the reality is that in 20 more years our current capability will likely seem antiquated. So, do we open it now or wait for later? Do we run the risk that the samples will be lost or destroyed in some way in the next 20 years and lose any opportunity to study what we have? I say, maybe try both. Archaeology does that. Some sites are deliberately left un-excavated so that future generations can start with a clean slate, and what is excavated today, is often reburied to protect it from the elements (and thieves) to preserve it for future generations. Why not open one container for study (or, as someone suggested, repackage it into smaller containers if possible), study some of it, preserve it as best we can using modern techniques, and leave some for future generations?

Great points and that’s exactly what has been proposed, opening one of the three remaining sealed (maybe) containers.

Steve Shannon

This might piss you guys off but my Aunt Linda now dead had a tiny fraction of moon rock in a necklace for working on the Apollo project for NASA as an official retirement gift. She's long gone and so is Neil her husband who worked at nuclear plants, maybe cousin Jake has it. The irony is my ignorant extended family often fought over if it was real or not, this nutball Ray always argued it was fake. Ray had to take meds you see. I always thought it was real because dad's father had a bunch of rocketdyne history for the Atlas program as a machinist. And Linda worked at NASA in Huntsville. I was a kid at the time and this was before Iphones were so common, never thought to get a picture. Preserve one sample for historical sake, and open the rest is what I'd do. They can always get more, but they can't get another piece of history.

So some of the moon rock samples were put into retirement gifts while really neat one could argue a waste of scientific material.

Back