RIP Stephen Hawking

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeeRoc29

Reaction score
During an interview from the late 1990's, Larry King asked Hawking what he thought the greatest mystery in the universe was. Hawking's eyes gave an unmistakable cheeky smile which was followed by his robotic reply, "women."

It's turtles all the way down!

:sad:

Last edited:
And the bugger managed to cash it in on pi day. Three point one for the win!

And the bugger managed to cash it in on pi day. Three point one for the win!

From CNN's post on his passing:

"Hawking was born in Oxford, England, on what turned out to be an auspicious date: January 8, 1942 -- the 300th anniversary of the death of astronomer and physicist Galileo Galilei."

Rest In Peace Dr. Hawking

Can we all take a moment to appreciate how far we've come since Ramanujan? RIP Dr. Hawking, and thanks for explaining a bunch of the universe.

Maybe I should try reading his book. It has been said that A Brief History of Time is the world's most unread book.

Maybe I should try reading his book. It has been said that A Brief History of Time is the world's most unread book.

Most likely because it's too hard to understand, really don't care, or don't believe it. I watched this last night Mystery of Space Time episode:https://www.sciencechannel.com/tv-shows/how-the-universe-works/ mostly theories, nothing definite other than gravity and time. Too much if you can do this, this will happen, when there isn't a chance in hell man will ever be able to do it in the first place. Example: If you can get into the grasp of a Black Hole time will slow down or stop and you can escape the Black Hole and come back to earth, everybody else will be older and you will still be young. I say bull to that, won't ever happen anyway though.

RIP Dr. Hawking

Another odd coincidence... 3/14 is also Albert Einstein's Birthday (March 14, 1879).

It is an amazing coincidence how he was born on the same day as Galileo died, and died on the same day Einstein was born.

Quantum theory is some of the most fascinating work out there, in my opinion. I've tried to study it, took a quantum physics class in high school, and realized the more I learned, the more I realized I didn't know.

It's absolutely fascinating.

Went and saw him at the Key Arena back in '90. $125.00 each for front row seats. Fascinating time. Took live questions after afterwards.

It has been said that A Brief History of Time is the world's most unread book.

The complexity ratchets up after the first 4 chapters - if you're a layperson that's when it gets harder. That's not Hawking's fault as much as the subject matter - his writing style is easy and accessible, because his speaking difficulties made him concise. Over here, after the book came out, he became a popular outspoken public intellectual and critic known for pronouncing on many things (eg his support for the NHS which he credited with saving his life many times etc). A sober assessment of his actual contribution to cosmology, written by his close collaborator, peer and fellow black hole theorist Roger Penrose, is published here

I'm kind of vague on this so please don't hold me to detail but you'll get the basic gist..

We've been sending probes out for a very long time now..
They all have some sort of message on board in case they're ever found by a more advanced civilization..
Where we are in the milky way,, a road map to get here,, who we are,, what we are ect..
We've also been sending out radio waves for more then a half century..

Dr Hawking was asked his opinion on the subject of us basically screaming out into the universe "here we are" "come say hello"...
His response was to point bout each and every time in human history a more advanced group came across a less advanced group..
From the Spaniards in south America with the Incas to the Indians in North America...
It just never seems to go very well for the less advanced race.........

He basically recommended that we shut the heck up,, lol..

R.I.P. Dr Hawking...

Teddy

I'm kind of vague on this so please don't hold me to detail but you'll get the basic gist..

They all have some sort of message on board in case they're ever found by a more advanced civilization..
Where we are in the milky way,, a road map to get here,, who we are,, what we are ect..

Dr Hawking was asked his opinion on the subject of us basically screaming out into the universe "here we are" "come say hello"...
His response was to point bout each and every time in human history a more advanced group came across a less advanced group..
From the Spaniards in south America with the Incas to the Indians in North America...

R.I.P. Dr Hawking...

Teddy

This is of course comparing human reactions and attitudes with their own kind. We really have no data to predict 'alien' behavior whatsoever.

Get "The Illustrated Brief History of Time, Updated and Expanded Edition" if you can find it. Full of tons of excellent images to illustrate the points being made. I was never able to make it through the non-"picture book" version.

I am reminded of Hawking every time I hear automatic information from an airport, his voice will live on...sort of.

This is of course comparing human reactions and attitudes with their own kind. We really have no data to predict 'alien' behavior whatsoever.

Yes I was always puzzled by Hawking's point here too, especially given that we've already been advertising our presence since the dawn of radio broadcasting and there's not much we can do about it now. However, like Elon Musk, he also shared grave concern over AI, not just killer robots but, more insidiously, the point where we pass the technological singularlty and AI's interventions in our lives are too fast, seamless and multifarious for us to be aware we're being manipulated/directed by it, with or without malign intent - a bit like a dad in a football park outplaying his 6 year old kid. Perhaps Hawking's concern about possible encounters with pan-galactic hyperbeings ((c) D. Adams..) were based on similar concerns, rather than any threat of being eaten by chestbusting xenomorphs per se.

100 years of radio only gives about 3500 stars of all kinds, ~500 G-type. Less than half of those could have answered back at the speed of light.

We only directly confirmed en extrasolar planet in 1995. These numbers are vanishingly small even with the most generous interpretation of Drake.

I've read a number of books about relativity and quantum cosmology for the general public, and Hawking's A Brief History of Time is one of the easier to read.

But my favorite was The Cosmic Code by Heinz Pagels.

Last edited:
100 years of radio only gives about 3500 stars of all kinds, ~500 G-type. Less than half of those could have answered back at the speed of light.

We only directly confirmed en extrasolar planet in 1995. These numbers are vanishingly small even with the most generous interpretation of Drake.

+1......

Teddy

R.I.P. Dr Hawking...

Teddy

Then again, can we blame aliens for not wanting to communicate with us... We send out nude pics of ourselves and directions to our home...

PioneerPlaqueBW.jpg

Saw this image Tuesday. Think it was described as being posted on the Big Bang Theory's website, but I don't know which one (tried a couple but did not see it). Or maybe it was a Tweet or FB post. Found a copy of the image.

Obviously from a scene in some past episode but it was a great response.

52f532337a9a1accfe8d7d5ee97af243--mayim-bialik-nerdy-things.jpg

Here's a more fun photo and article:

https://www.simplemost.com/big-bang-theory-cast-stephen-hawking/

AqCoChc.jpg

Last edited:
Then again, can we blame aliens for not wanting to communicate with us... We send out nude pics of ourselves and directions to our home...\

28871000_10156335636368586_4163045398659708484_n.j  pg

Back to Hawking, 2007 when he got to fly in a plane doing zero-G maneuvers.

[video=youtube;OhIpdSZQZlI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhIpdSZQZlI[/video]

Here's a video that someone posted in tribute. It's the Pink Floyd song Keep Talking, which features Hawking's computer voice explaining how important it is that people keep talking to each other.

[YOUTUBE]x_enMeQQNV0[/YOUTUBE]

Back