URRF 5 : June 22 - 24; Potter, NY

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just submitted a BFR for my L2 attempt. Rocket isn't complete yet, so some of the details are still being worked out. Hoping it'll be ready to go in time.

an orange rocket was just returned to us today, 38mm mount, the main never fired but the apogee charge went off. it will be at URRF5.

Trey convinced me to put Agent P in. Will we be able to see the featured flights?

I wanted to let everyone know that Elaine and I will be attending URRF 5 and will be offering our "Introduction to Propellant Making" class. The class will be held at the Flint Creek Campgrounds, Middlesex, NY 14507 on Thursday, June 21st from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.

The class covers the following topics:
  • How to safely handle and store chemicals and propellants
  • What’s needed to get started
  • Clothing, gloves etc.
  • Chemicals
  • Mixers
  • Casting sets – mandrels and caps
  • Liner / casting tubes
  • Motor hardware
  • Vacuum systems
  • Process of mixing and packing AP based propellants. The student mixes and packs their own 54mm reload.
  • Overview of Burnsim – motor design and simulation program

You'll leave the class with
  • A 3 grain 54mm J class reload which you mixed and packed. The reload can be flown at URRF 5.
  • A 3-ring binder containing all the class materials and discount coupons
  • Tru-Core 54 mm 3 grain casting set which includes a 5/8” x 14” AL mandrel and casting caps. Packing stick included.

Tuition
  • $325 per student
  • $425 per student with the class 3 grain 54 mm complete motor provided by Fisher Research Hardware.
  • Tuition is due via PayPal friends and family to [email protected] by no later than May 23rd.

If you have any questions, please send an email to [email protected]. Please don't use the forum's message.

Ben and Elaine Russell

Bump ...

Registration for our Introduction to Propellant Making class closes on May 23rd.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me - [email protected]

Ben

got my propellant cast and just gotta face the grains to put the motor together. Hope to have the smoke done soon.
My son got me to change the propellant. He thought that the O5800 seemed a little whimpy. So, we tossed a couple of newtons out the window to get a O8200 together.
After all, I have been sledgehammering my Jumbo every time I take it to URRF. Last year was a O7600. Why should this year be different? What is the thrust limit to the fins on the Jumbo?

I signed up yesterday for URRF and we've got our camping spot thanks to Larry.

I'm planning on flying my Blackhawk 38 and 2.6" Competitor two stage as high as I have the nerve for. I don't see anything on the site about the launch setup, is it good for LPR? What rules do you have for rod/rail use? Do you have a mini rail available?

cheers - mark

Mark, we have the spread of low, mid and high power pads covered. As I recall, there should be 10-12 LPR pads on each side. There will be mini button (20mm) rail on both sides, as well as 1/4" rod available. We may also have micro button rail (15mm), I'm not 100% on that one.

Mark, we have the spread of low, mid and high power pads covered. As I recall, there should be 10-12 LPR pads on each side. There will be mini button (20mm) rail on both sides, as well as 1/4" rod available. We may also have micro button rail (15mm), I'm not 100% on that one.

Cool - thanks! I'll bring our box of LPR rockets.

cheers - mark

Hi Mark bring them all. I am glad you brought it up. I have 3 smaller ones ill make sure are there a micro, 15 and 20mm and maybe a few I forgot. We were doing some Beta testing and grabbed just about everything you could try. Cant wait to see you camping is going to be a blast.

What a way to kick off the season. May at Mini Mid West Power and June at URRF5 in Potter. If you have never flown with the URRG club at Potter you really need to add this one to your list. Along with the best launch field in the North East the area offers the scenic Finger Lake Region that the whole family will enjoy. Be sure to check out the amazing Wineries and Craft Beer Breweries located in the area.
The URRF5 party at Smugglers Cove (the local establishment) is another tradition you won't want to miss.
I'll be looking for all the BlackFly rockets for a Picture at the MAC Performance booth on Saturday at 1:00. Our 6" SuperFly will fly Saturday afternoon on a CTI M1230 and have "Kate" (Multitronics) along for the ride.
The list of featured flights and the awesome raffle prizes continue to grow. Don't forget to grab some raffle tickets when you register weather on-line or at the field.

See you on the field!

Mike & Patty Crupe

Last edited:
Our 6" SuperFly will fly Saturday afternoon on a CTI M1230 and have "Kate" (Multitronics) along for the ride.
The list of featured flights and the awesome raffle prizes continue to grow. Don't forget to grab some raffle tickets when you register weather on-line or at the field.

See you on the field!

Mike & Patty Crupe

HEY, where is my BFR info on this rocket???

Don't forget to register your BFR's!

Hi everyone,
I want all to know that when you register to use the URRF 5 site, that it is not the same as registering to fly with us. I have seen a few of these registers happening and I don't want those of you who did this to come only to find out that you haven't paid your flight fees yet.

So please note until you have paid for your registration you have not registered to fly with us.

So come on everyone, we are less than four weeks out. Ordering a t-shirt will be ending soon.
Don't forget to register your BFR's too.

See you all there.

URRF 5 is in less than 4 weeks!
Web-Headder.png

Vendors
We have a fantastic vendor lineup again this year! Wildman, Performance Hobbies, MAC Performance Rocketry, Chris' Rocket Supplies, One Bad Hawk, MARSA Systems! If you need it, they have it. Call ahead and get your orders in for pickup at the field.

Food
Big Dawg Grilling & Catering will be on the field all three days serving burgers, sausages and hots. Smugglers, our favorite local restaurant and bar, will be ready for us after every day of flying rockets with cold drinks and hot food.

T Shirts
Shirt sales close June 3rd at midnight. That is this Sunday, order them by this weekend!
Go to the URRF Store to order. These are a high quality cotton shirt printed locally in NY. Prices start at just $15 for standard T's up to XL. Available in lots of sizes and colors!
Tshirt-Front2-LtBlue.png
Tshirt-Front1-Charcoal.png
Tshirt-Back-Charcoal.png

Raffle Tickets
Raffle prizes for URRF 5 are looking great. Our Vendors have kicked in some fantastic prizes! Be sure to check out the prizes at the URRF Store and you can buy discounted tickets online, $10 for 12 tickets. Tickets will be available at the field registration table for $1 each. Just like last year, you will be able to enter your tickets for prizes you want!

Chris' Rocket Supplies- Gift Cards to Chris' Rocket Supplies
MAC Performace- 4″ Villain and a 54mm DD Zodiac Kit
Wildman- “You won’t be disappointed”
Performance Hobbies- LOC 4″ Goblin, LOC 4″ IV, and LOC 3″ IRIS, and LOC 3″ Sandhawk
One Bad Hawk- (1) 3/16″ and (2) 11/32″ Kevlar 25 foot harnesses
MARSA Systems- MARSA 33LHD and screen

Registration
Online registration will be closing Friday June 15th. To register online go to Register/Store. Kids under 18 fly low power for free. Jr's flying high power under the TMP are $5 and they will get a lanyard and a badge at registration.

Range Duty
Fliers volunteering for range duty is what makes events like this possible. It's a great way to meet people and can be a lot of fun. There are plenty of volunteer positions open, you can sign up on the website once you log in under the register tab. urrf.us/volunteer/

BFR's & Featured Flights
Check out the featured flights page! This list grows fast as we get close to the event.
Make sure you register any BFR as this will help us make sure everything goes smoothly.

URRF5 T shirts pre-sale ending soon. get on the URRF5 web site and order your before it is too late.

I was looking on the URRF page today and found this range equipment page (not sure how I missed it before) :

URRF is fully equipped for some serious action!
  • 24 low power pads with 1/8″ rods, 3/16″ rods, micro and mini rails
  • 24 High power Weasel pads. These have 6 or 8 foot 10-10 rails but can be fitted with 15-15 rails, 1/4″ or 1/2″ rods.
  • 4 High power Mega Weasel pads. 15-15 rails standard but can be fitted with 10-10 rails or unistrut rails.
  • 2 adjustable launch towers for 29mm-54mm rockets with no launch lugs/buttons
  • 2 Hydraulic towers with 15-15 and unistrut rails
  • Re-built launch system (LDRS34 issues resolved)

I'd like to launch my Blackhawk 38 from the adjustable launch towers - are they going to be available? I have a fly-away guide as a backup.

thanks - mark

They will be available but always good to have a backup. I have a 29mm mongoose I'm hoping to fly from them too.

Times running out, only 12 more days till URRF5. Pick up at the field orders need to be placed no later than June 16th. Use promo code URRF5 when ordering.
The 6" "Super BlackFly" is finally done and ready for its "M" flight with Kate on board at URRF Saturday afternoon.
Don't forget to bring your BlackFly to our booth Saturday at 1:00 pm for a group photo for the website. The new BlackFly ("Join the Swarm") T-shirts will also be available.
See you on the field!!

BlackFly 6.jpg

Mike & Patty Crupe

Last edited:
Mike, you should post a picture of someone next to that sucker... Needs a sense of scale. It's a gorgeous rocket, as usual.
PS... Any word on field conditions? Similar to last year, or...? Just need to know what kind of footwear to pack

Mike, you should post a picture of someone next to that sucker... Needs a sense of scale. It's a gorgeous rocket, as usual.
PS... Any word on field conditions? Similar to last year, or...? Just need to know what kind of footwear to pack

I said the same thing...needs something in the pic for reference.

I'll take a better pic tomorrow next to a 54mm Fly :grin:

Back