URRF 5 : June 22 - 24; Potter, NY

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did my featured flight for the Jumbo Darkstar. Found a bigger case this winter, Mo propellant, Mo higher, Mo faster.
Mach 1.3 ain't bad considering it's 105 pounds...but....need bigger motors (or a new fin can so I can toss in one of the 6 inch motors I have)

Hi Team.
Eric from CATO I have your spot reserved at Country Charm I told him you need 400 amps He said he will run some 3 phase 1000 mcm to your site LOL. Looks like the CATO Team, MAC, One Bad Hawk, Wildman, Myself and a few others are set. Camping is a fun way to do it 1 mile from the field. Great place to enjoy the rocketry camaraderie and its very cost effective if your on a budget so you can put MOORRE in your rocket.
If anyone wanting to join in let me know and well try and reserve some in the area we are. It gets locked up pretty early.

Hi Team.
Eric from CATO I have your spot reserved at Country Charm I told him you need 400 amps He said he will run some 3 phase 1000 mcm to your site LOL. Looks like the CATO Team, MAC, One Bad Hawk, Wildman, Myself and a few others are set. Camping is a fun way to do it 1 mile from the field. Great place to enjoy the rocketry camaraderie and its very cost effective if your on a budget so you can put MOORRE in your rocket.
If anyone wanting to join in let me know and well try and reserve some in the area we are. It gets locked up pretty early.

I think we are going to be camping there as well - what section of the campground are you in?

cheers - mark

Larry, when would you need to know? I'm exploring buying a camper right now (for other reasons), but I don't when I'll actually be ready to pull the trigger yet. I'm not sure if I'll have it by URRF.

Don't need to know right away but if you interested I can reserve one for u guys he is calling me back tonight. We are all in the 1-12 area if you look on the map. Mark what's your last name I can grab one just if you drop out let me know so I don't tent block someone else. Bring camp chairs for mobile camp fire traveling. He is real good about keeping us in one area and if there are extra we sometimes double up with the tent sites. He sells and delivers fire wood and the pond is loaded with fish if the kids want to paddle boat. Its really a great way to enjoy after flying get togethers.

Last edited:
Don't need to know right away but if you interested I can reserve one for u guys he is calling me back tonight. We are all in the 2-12 area if you look on the map. Mark what's your last name I can grab one just if you drop out let me know so I don't tent block someone else. Bring camp chairs for mobile camp fire traveling. He is real good about keeping us in one area and if there are extra we sometimes double up with the tent sites. He sells and delivers fire wood and the pond is loaded with fish if the kids want to paddle boat. It really a great way to enjoy after flying get togethers.

Thanks Larry, that sounds great. I'll send you a PM.

cheers - mark

Cool Mark believe me camping a mile from the field is king. Its as good as the whole event good people great times. Fly by day hang out by night.
It was the camping that hooked me for every year... Flying is fun and all, but the NY hospitality was by far the best part of the weekends.

I wanted to let everyone know that Elaine and I will be attending URRF 5 and will be offering our "Introduction to Propellant Making" class. The class will be held at the Flint Creek Campgrounds, Middlesex, NY 14507 on Thursday, June 21st from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.

The class covers the following topics:
  • How to safely handle and store chemicals and propellants
  • What’s needed to get started
  • Clothing, gloves etc.
  • Chemicals
  • Mixers
  • Casting sets – mandrels and caps
  • Liner / casting tubes
  • Motor hardware
  • Vacuum systems
  • Process of mixing and packing AP based propellants. The student mixes and packs their own 54mm reload.
  • Overview of Burnsim – motor design and simulation program

You'll leave the class with
  • A 3 grain 54mm J class reload which you mixed and packed. The reload can be flown at URRF 5.
  • A 3-ring binder containing all the class materials and discount coupons
  • Tru-Core 54 mm 3 grain casting set which includes a 5/8” x 14” AL mandrel and casting caps. Packing stick included.

Tuition
  • $325 per student
  • $425 per student with the class 3 grain 54 mm complete motor provided by Fisher Research Hardware.
  • Tuition is due via PayPal friends and family to [email protected] by no later than May 23rd.

If you have any questions, please send an email to [email protected]. Please don't use the forum's message.

Ben and Elaine Russell

This is very nice for you to do Ben, I hope you get some takers on this, mixing your own motors is a really great way to expand one's rocketry experience.

Dutch

For those who are interested, seriously consider taking Ben and Elaine's class! You'll get answers to questions you didn't know you should be asking! It is an excellent introduction.

Gerald

OK I finished my URRF5 rocket, it is a 2.5 shipping tube, stands 5' 5", has 5 fins, it's no jive URRG5 decals, 5 grain 38mm J motor. What is the speed of cardboard ? ? ? I'm seeing a trend here.

we have some pieces of rockets in the storage unit, we will have our annual auction @ the Saturday flyers mt. if it's yours you need to claim it , otherwise it will be sold to the highest bidder.

Since I'm heading out with Tim, I'm debating whether to bring the Drago4XL... Definitely bringing my Black Fly and modified Mac Arcas, but the Drago would be a lot of cargo for the Long haul. Thoughts?
Based on my lessons from last year, I'll be keeping my altitude low on the little rockets. LoL! No grabbing rockets out of trees in heavy rain this year. Although... Those Mennonites are mighty friendly!

Everyone coming that has a Blackfly - of any size - should bring it. Announcing the Blackfly Homecoming, Presented by The Potter Rocketeer (the official URRG newsletter). This will be a photo opportunity and an attempt to gather a swarm of flies. Details to be announced...

OH Boy a black fly show down I am in trouble now.
I have the first made small black fly and then skipped a few sizes and just grabbed the 4 inch black fly. Only problem is I haven't had time to build them.
There made and fit together so well that I am sure I could do them quick but man not much time left before the big day.

I think this whole black fly thing is Mike Pitfields fault.

He is our Canadian team leader from the great white north that came up with this black fly problem and brought them down our way. If I don't get mine done ill bring a fly swatter and some deep woods off. Then this Mac pref guy hit them up with steroids and the Black fly's keep getting bigger and bigger. What's next do I ask??

is the "featured flights" page going to be loaded? Can't see who else is doing what...

(Then this MAC guy hit them up with steroids and the Black fly's keep getting bigger and bigger. What's next do I ask??)

How about a 6" Super Black Fly. It will fly at URRF5 with an "M" motor with a Multitronics Kate on board.

6 Inch Black Fly.jpg

Last edited:
Wow Mike that's the big one.

I had to ask the question and I should have figured you would have an answer. That was a fast build.

I wonder how many Rick will be able to fit into the Potter rocketeer featured page Picture.

I think we have something going here.

My Ultimate Wildman "Cyclops" had only flown at Potter up until a few weeks ago when I launched it on a Research N to 11K+. Of course it crashed because it was not in NY. Rebuild & repaint is in process. Lesson learned. Sigh.....

My Ultimate Wildman "Cyclops" had only flown at Potter up until a few weeks ago when I launched it on a Research N to 11K+. Of course it crashed because it was not in NY. Rebuild & repaint is in process. Lesson learned. Sigh.....

Come on Gary, you've got time to fix it before URRF 5, Git er done!!

OH Boy a black fly show down I am in trouble now.
I have the first made small black fly and then skipped a few sizes and just grabbed the 4 inch black fly. Only problem is I haven't had time to build them.
There made and fit together so well that I am sure I could do them quick but man not much time left before the big day.

I think this whole black fly thing is Mike Pitfields fault.

He is our Canadian team leader from the great white north that came up with this black fly problem and brought them down our way. If I don't get mine done ill bring a fly swatter and some deep woods off. Then this Mac pref guy hit them up with steroids and the Black fly's keep getting bigger and bigger. What's next do I ask??

Not sure Pitfield will have his ready for URRF given what's going on, but another Canadian will have his 4" done. You may even see it this weekend...

Contimplating bringing my stretch jumbo gizmo "Agent P" to fly on a M skid...just for fun.

Barkley you brining the 4 inch Black Fly out this weekend May launch potter. Were ready freddy, ya speaking of multi stage where is freddy five finger five stage. Its URRF five and we need a five stage to set things in prospective.

Barkley you brining the 4 inch Black Fly out this weekend May launch potter. Were ready freddy, ya speaking of multi stage where is freddy five finger five stage. Its URRF five and we need a five stage to set things in prospective.

Sadly the 4" BF isn't ready - but it's almost there. I'll bring it down - maybe we'll fly it with some of the bits still removable....

Back