URRF 5 : June 22 - 24; Potter, NY

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be there, with my black Black Fly. The Arcas won't be finished. It's built, just naked and lacking an altimeter.

EDIT: av-bay built. Cleaned up the shop and found an extra screw switch. Slapped it together with a spare RRC2+, my last spare from some Black Friday sale. It may be naked, but it'll be there. Now the only question is what to fly it on... 54 airframe 38mmt, HED deploy so it'll fit any 38 motor. Although... Adapting to 29 or even 24 is do-able

Last edited:
Don't forget to bring your BlackFly to our booth Saturday at 1:00 pm for a group photo for the website.

I am madly trying to finish my 4" BlackFly off. I still need to do a light sand to knock down the transitions between colours as this is all paint no decals. Tomorrow night I will clear, Saturday night I will wet-sand to 2000 and take care of the orange peel, then Wednesday, last min, I will polish and wax. The yellow is just masking tape to keep the sections apart while curing. Still to do is the AV bay so it's going to be a close one and I know the paint will be soft and likely get all messed up during transport so it may end up being a repaint.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
I made up a batch of Silicone Igniters for sale at URRF 5. They are on 48", 24", and 18" long 1/8" dowels. All the leads attached to them are 12" longer than the dowels. The slug of silicone on the 18" dowels is 5/32" X 5/32" X 5/8" long, they will fit up into a 'J' motor with ease. FYI: Even at this size they will easily light a 'M' motor. The slug size on the 24" dowels are the same size. The slug size on the 48" dowels are 1/4" X 1/4" X 1 1/4" long. These igniters are as strong as thermite igniters but much more stable and much safer than thermite.

I offer a 100% guarantee on my igniters, in fact if they won't light your motor you don't have propellant in it.

I will be doing a demo each day right after the morning meeting for anyone interested.

See you all at URRF!

Last edited:
I've had numerous occasions when the ignited that came with a motor failed to get the job done, but I can honestly say that I have never had one of Mikes let me down either as the replacement or the one needed to light my Ex.

So I mentioned doing my L3 flight at URRF. I'm pretty much ready to go - final touches getting done. I had 2 local TAPs do the pre-fright inspection. I'll need to arrange for a TAP at URRF to witness the flight. Any volunteers / suggestions?

Thanks!

So I mentioned doing my L3 flight at URRF. I'm pretty much ready to go - final touches getting done. I had 2 local TAPs do the pre-fright inspection. I'll need to arrange for a TAP at URRF to witness the flight. Any volunteers / suggestions?

Thanks!

Kevin, both Jim Livingston and I can be your witness TAP, Which ever one of us are free at the time of your flight would be willing to help. also Both Gary Dickingson and Chris Short will be there, (both Tripoli BOD members), I'm sure if asked nicely one of them would be willing to help if both Jim and I are busy.
Either way I'm sure there will be someone willing to help you.

Kevin, both Jim Livingston and I can be your witness TAP, Which ever one of us are free at the time of your flight would be willing to help. also Both Gary Dickingson and Chris Short will be there, (both Tripoli BOD members), I'm sure if asked nicely one of them would be willing to help if both Jim and I are busy.
Either way I'm sure there will be someone willing to help you.

Thanks. I wanted to make sure advanced notice was given if needed.

Hi Team. Just a little up date. If you would like to camp we have one more site with the group and the cabin is still available. The cabin has three beds 75 /night and pet friendly. If you want to pull the trigger on fun give me a call ill reserve you a spot. 716-628-4746

Registration closes at 8 am Monday morning 6-18-18. Its getting close time to Click Click Pull.

Last edited:
Hi Team. Just a little up date. If you would like to camp we have one more site with the group and the cabin is still available. The cabin has three beds 75 /night and pet friendly. If you want to pull the trigger on fun give me a call ill reserve you a spot. 716-628-4746

Registration closes at 8 am Monday morning 6-18-18. Its getting close time to Click Click Pull.

I like the idea of the cabin, but no way could I afford it by myself. If one or two, (Prefered), other guys wanted to split the cost per night I could afford it then for two to three of the nights and then not have to drive back and forth to and from the field. (an hour each way for me.)

Text me if your interested, (don't call, I don't answer the phone if I don't recognize the number) 585-994-0674

Got a new little rocket ready for next weekend. Should disappear on the I204 in my motor box! Eggfinder mini in the nose and eggtimer quark in the av bay.20180617_171757.jpeg

Rocketpoxy with green dye. The dye came with the epoxy as a kit. The stuff glows in the sun. Turned out pretty cool! 20180603_103756.jpeg

Ok I submitted one over a week ago, I did it again, I did get a confirmation email on first and second.

Being the great guy that I am, I have taken one for the team and made a blood sacrifice to the rocket gods by stabbing myself with an X-Acto knife while prepping Cyclops. You are all welcome. :)
Better than dropping a four-grain M motor on your foot while wearing deck shoes. Long story.....
See you in Potter!!

Back