URRF 5 : June 22 - 24; Potter, NY

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mdutch

Reaction score
Preregistration for URRF 5 (To be held on June 22 through the 24 at Potter, NY), is now open. Go to urrf.us

Last edited:
I already have my hotel reservation in Canandaigua....

Is hybrid GSE available? If so, I'd be interested in launching an EX hybrid. I'll need to contact the powers that be.

Gerald

I may bring my GSE if I can get my 54mm K hybrid record attempt rocket ready in-time. But I can't commit if that will happen. In other words, totally useless for planning purposes Gerald.

Is hybrid GSE available? If so, I'd be interested in launching an EX hybrid. I'll need to contact the powers that be.

Gerald

There may be at least one University team attending and if so they might fly a hybrid. I can make inquires if you like and if so I can also inquire about sharing their GSE if compatible.

My hybrid is compatible with GSE that will support Contrail K or larger motors (76mm or larger), and uses a measured nitrous quantity of 12 pounds from the supply tank when the temperature is perhaps 70F, and may use another pound in summer conditions. This motor uses densified nitrous through auto-refrigeration to a set pressure and temperature to obtain consistent performance. The supply tank would need to have several additional pounds in reserve to maintain pressurization of the fill line (normal for a hybrid supply tank). The motor has been static tested once but full ignition was sluggish. The new preheater is more energetic to solve this issue. A chilled nitrous system such as this one is quite a bit harder to ignite than a standard hybrid. The rocket itself is minimum diameter and will use a Binder Design fin can and dual deploy electronics and recovery section. I've had the electronics, tracker, chutes, tube, nosecone, and fincan for quite some time. I just need to build the upper section. If I might be able to launch, then it becomes worth turning the motor into a rocket! It won't be light weight as there is no point in going for max altitude. I'd just like to actually fly the thing and get some flight data. It was a lot of work to make the motor. There is a thread from early last year in the EX section on the motor design, construction, and the first static test.

I only intend to do one more burn with this motor. I've got a much simpler design in mind for the next version which is intended to be a little larger. Getting flight data should allow me to back out actual delivered total impulse which will presumably let me do a better job next time around. It will also allow determination of O:F ratio from flight which may be a little different than static due to acceleration. At least I'd have more real data to work with.

I'll certainly pay for the nitrous if there is any individual or team that can help me out. I'd appreciate any help lining up such a test flight. URRF with its fairly wide open field would be a nice place for such a flight.

Gerald

I only intend to do one more burn with this motor. I've got a much simpler design in mind for the next version which is intended to be a little larger. Getting flight data should allow me to back out actual delivered total impulse which will presumably let me do a better job next time around. It will also allow determination of O:F ratio from flight which may be a little different than static due to acceleration. At least I'd have more real data to work with.

I'll certainly pay for the nitrous if there is any individual or team that can help me out. I'd appreciate any help lining up such a test flight. URRF with its fairly wide open field would be a nice place for such a flight.

Gerald

Well if I go I can't supply that much N20. I have a 20# tank and will probably be using 7# of it.

Well if I go I can't supply that much N20. I have a 20# tank and will probably be using 7# of it.

I'll tell you what, I will talk to the farm manager and find out where they get their gases for their torches and such and then call that supplier to see what they charge for a tank of NO2, or what ever. You guys will have to let me know how much you will need and any special specs you require and I will get a quote for you and arrange for payment for it and getting it delivered to the farm for you.
I can also talk to Doug Pratt to see if he can bring any certain Hybrid equipment for you, he lives near by. So let me know what you need guys and I will try to line up what I can.

Last edited:
Most gas suppliers work with the larger tanks. I don't have the solinoid manifold etc, but the larger tanks typically have a different threading IIRC. That could be problematic. I'd suggest waiting and seeing if anyone else chimes in. A 35# tank would generally be required for a hybrid of the size I'm working with, and it could provide two burns. So if someone wants to burn their L or baby M then there might be enough left to do mine as well, from a full tank.

Gerald

PS - I'll look into getting a 35# tank and see if I can find a local supplier here to fill it.

Last edited:
I'll be there. Woohoo! No idea what I'll bring with... Any special requests? Looking forward to camping and eating and... Oh yeah, launching!

Hi,

I was wondering if you could share a tentative schedule (what time range opens/closes, will there be a night launch, etc.). Trying to see if I can make it work for a visit. Thanks!

I think its usually 9am-5pm but that depends on who you ask. Wildman or Crazy Jim might tell you 9pm - 5am. Why whats in your rocket a sparky or LED's.

It does seem like we always say the range opens at 9:00 at these events, but never actually seem to start anything before 10:00...

This is the last weekend to get early bird pricing for URRF 5!
Also, make sure you order your T shirts. There are 3 options with many colors this year!
Go to https://urrf.us to register!
Make sure you check out the vendor list!
WILDMAN, PERFORMANCE HOBBIES, MAC PERFORMANCE, ONE BAD HAWK, CHRIS' ROCKET SUPPLIES, MARSA SYSTEMS, PYTHON ROCKETRY!

LIGHTHOUSE BBQ IS THE FOOD VENDOR!
abVYnYgMxxsKaqZTwBmddC_cG9pGG4uw0flZD5LUfY2jPgwtJpSYiWD1P37iMlub5jD663WaM02blJX3zDTe3ZYBgqPRoMGF34BJjdhsldWHE0z2eNHbWCviQ60tCcvyaZWDpbezypzyVi_dbq-4HVjI00hM6svuSB_0LJTG8cB6bYUQsW04Z2NsmXjBCOPyOSNCjS4g1eI6eoFZouPY9NkO0PF45WojZbnF7u7pdzw54zH1fI2tcUlywLzIrOJ2So1sor4IKCi9leyHigshZevTT_Vh01GJBTbb1L-YuIGhUG-QEC3Tx77vip9820luvY1-_4QkpkOTOTf3S9EnN492Svzskm0YSCozH9p4cyULlOMf7ZY2_VJy0aMP2XkfBLE7n2axeeN3iSU3KE74HChdL6uMazH7BQ2m_FgjccVn_RvTycgOq_eHP_KOzHCx2WlhmIU8RotFIFzgnOXo3wKFQ6pnp7_SB6oqKWkOylV6qwQhRZgsXkaaPX1RfUHcpX29YrlkbevQmAsTfCJvrLlA8iuXKFBD7nEwhKPlf-EJE-9G8oF0ZZiJRjSJDQSFKc2pcr_RcCOLulTtwxJaggM9OUj_LIEz2ov_9HunFD7DuaNeUTKTQD30mkxlYpSOfWtl6VW4WaqRkCoyzhfJ0g3uPYFWJOS1=w578-h290-no

XWGuw78bE0S2fjiubXMCgpocwrbdlIz2sEz2VlB9XhDEiTt2Fu9Og_pHuwiLKbmmlkMFC1UtDURGGCa2rVFmJ_ikI7kTUK46unbhQmxQU9NK3inEYISDnUtsAqXXH4pZ_dS92oVrye00TbD_quZOwUAh5gw80aBLUJxexJgsGZKv8asZRLmIGsFjoy6amGFzeUy6KYEFxVhKVQdSuS0j8xKc7oDVz_D8ZZO2Q_kgau_swOmrYVuPlF3ebDjFMsdbYaHcE7emnSmRavQtJxPrOkeWU8b6o_ntu3Pirn_t35L40Mojp7TZnmd-_0IjPWweWgzyGBMWpJ-jk3IDxV3RqcTAFibBA7WYOVf46wCTSDQ9q8feB3YPv5bf_fy1BF5BEIZlZjM7VhnTivbgjp6rHYCjgTT6RE2g6hMxvc_PCq-7pLzmKsNgr2UYSQ4Tt8OcnBsNofNR6ke9j8fO6f6zKDlVzsr2533BkFTsAwoVEPuQZyKaPNAF75v8sFhCr2jvjxMXdu9TxSZLiZy-xcQzdB84KzXL8ht49wFEiFTN6ehrj1-QkDvpwN1FHUD9T8iz8qajXdlQl6jhprfAPICfuIkfGcY1OyIOWYMFd9DmqX2PXXwKv_KvOMIpDFhw4-bZ_u0TR1fmi4P6dGxBM2EE3jYiFdXc-zdA=w224-h319-no
luU_Uhw096o8JfdUCamNagLi6wyYvFJmE0HDcj_ddUCpgzIgVIZqeVHSnqjdiXZgcOljIDcEwkOvg5KRwcs3cpbNfjWxSjAOPmP13w0EugKoil5VkfHwiR2dgd7F-hI1uhbApy3CbMfo962433OKJiI4QTAoj_49K1Tl5RmB_5dyYc6SwOsK7MON7E4g7M5XBiKPp7a30n_Y_34fwQj0cfmpFkcMZg4TMF7dsDOcPCWzDEs_7mAWB_K6BwrRfHgkFBHOrAh42NXbmNyPE5hZ0BVVKc7hl-CpQPUaV_kHmI3Exvr7sVthDqN9cn044PaD_GGtYLFYbZBAvVXPiUJgsLO47fqOSCmq0RZKi4gq4pqBFGi6l5bMchQ4NnTvEMCZEQ0Ymc8E4vODhc96YViqH7rZ9dopmieOQCYKzb7hvB86XubL0ZzXARJysE4PODoIY2lS4IkDrDbUp7PzjIZPsoo4thq98FYMhwoCCcoFoCV3QFV4pUG8KK9F5yfhP_sVMLyuRhHwOr_060p6KElZCF1ywcwI08mKiGjIaYSm01QVFWwfTT9tWHFEeCzjhHCbYgh7bgwiro1tZFtGFcxwST_V82gJZpfHc6jeplMaxrG4jFQtpDV-XiDSARkQ8os12C1dr5eYEIMAt44S-DsWwWhfkgo-ieFF=w234-h346-no

Last edited:
Yes everyone, you see that correctly, Chris' Rocket Supplies is coming to URRF 5, I mean after all why shouldn't there be a research chemical supplier at a research launch?
FYI: he currently has a AP 90 thread on the Research thread here on TRF and he is already starting to build chemical request bound for URRF 5.
So if you want to get your research supplies and NOT have to pay shipping and/or hazmat fees, let's build him a huge order for him to deliver to this launch.

Back