Loc Goblin Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ECayemberg

Reaction score
Hot off the production line, Loc's newest release, a 4" upscale of the Goblin is sure to be a hit! This thread is devoted to the 4" Loc Goblin; all are welcome to post their builds, flight photos, and anything else Loc Goblin related here!

The classic lines of the Estes Goblin recreated with excellence at the Loc shop....I'm in. I started my build yesterday; the plan is to fly it at the local Class 1 launch this Sunday. I'm not doing a fully detailed build thread, but here's the general idea of the build thus far.

Parts: Nothing but high quality here. A very complete kit!!! Careful not to throw out the little bag of hardware...mine was wrapped up in the paper packaging.

39890735905_ca9cc724c1_c.jpg
[/IMG]

First step: Prep the rings. Pound in the T-nuts, secure the eye-bolt, hold it all in place with a small batch of 5 minute epoxy.

38975376400_f87bd67202_c.jpg
[/IMG]

Test fit all the rings and fins to make sure they fit and understand where they go. Then mix up a batch of glue and secure the rings in place. Note: my fins aren't ready to be glued yet...so I just glued the rings at this time. Love the interlocking design: SOLID.

39890735155_d46a06f6df_c.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Glue the adapters together. I used Titebond. I like to peel the glassine off the tubes in the area to be bonded...right, wrong, or indifferent, it's what I do.

38975377960_8704bfa6ef_c.jpg
[/IMG]

And that's when I ran out of free time for the evening. More to come shortly...again others please feel free to join in; this ain't a solo gig here!:D

Is it just me, or do you literately have every kit that LOC has released?

If so, someday you should open a LOC Precision museum! :)

Thanks,

Is it just me, or do you literately have every kit that LOC has released?

If so, someday you should open a LOC Precision museum! :)

Thanks,

Pretty close, Andrew! I had several from over the years...and then when two buddies of mine bought Loc....quoting myself "This ain't gonna be good!". It's both a blessing and a curse!:wink: Certainly having fun!!!

THEY BEVELED THE FINS.

*DROOL*

MUST GET ONE

Dave, I apologize....I beveled the fins! :cool:

Eric, I picked one up from Tim Saturday as well. My plan is all Titebond II and Mold & Trim for fillets. I'm gonna leave the fins square and see if I get the whistle...
And yes, I'm peeling the glassine also.

Last edited:
Nice! It took me a bit to figure out what the extra centering rings and T-nut were for, but it's the motor mount adapters, right? Are all the adapters included in the kit? That's pretty cool.

didn't want to mention this in Loc's announcement thread, but if you want/ need replacement decals/additional bats. contact 'stickershock'.
Rex

[video=youtube;2Gn4gVpLncA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Gn4gVpLncA[/video]

abara-ca-dabara...

I'm a vampire!!
Oh yeah, abara cadabera, I'm an Umpire!!

I'm a bat!
Well, Hocus Pocus, I'm a bat too!!

Abra- capocus!

didn't want to mention this in Loc's announcement thread, but if you want/ need replacement decals/additional bats. contact 'stickershock'.
Rex

You got it Rex. Mark does a fab job! He's the decal hookup!!!

Eric, I picked one up from Tim Saturday as well. My plan is all Titebond II and Mold & Trim for fillets. I'm gonna leave the fins square and see if I get the whistle...
And yes, I'm peeling the glassine also.

I like the choice of adhesives, and look forward to the whistle!

Nice! It took me a bit to figure out what the extra centering rings and T-nut were for, but it's the motor mount adapters, right? Are all the adapters included in the kit? That's pretty cool.

You bet! This is one complete kit. I don't know that there are many rocket kits I've built in the past that I didn't add something to, to make it "complete". Short of paint (or film covering), glue, and cheap labor, I'm not adding anything at all to this one!

Rex

Four bats is good enough for this guy! How many bats you need, Rex?;)

25932198077_e02c2824a0_c.jpg

Eric is the KING of Kardboard!!!! [& Monokote] ......lol:wink:

Aww, thanks Jim!:cool: I do love me some cardboard creations! And Monokote. Just don't tell anyone I enjoy *other* rockets too...shhhh!:cyclops:

The goblin is a great kit!! The ring lock is a nice feature.

Yessir! The fincan is STOUT! Takes away any difficulty with fin alignment as well! LIKE!

Didn't have much free time yesterday to play with rockets, but snuck down to the Rocket Lair for a few minutes anyway. Who needs sleep, anyway?

Since CJ insisted, this rocket was covered in heat shrink film. Namely, Ultracote for the yellow and Monokote for the black....gotta use what's on hand! I ran out of black in the meantime, but I'll finish up/recover as soon as the Tower order arrives.

Fins. No photo of the airframe yet, but rest assured, it is yellow.

25932197657_a39ec36db7_c.jpg

I stole Adrian's (Not Carl) glue choice listed above and went the route of wood glue for fin can assembly. Doing the double glue deal, two fins were added at a time, then removed, then glue reapplied and finally positioned in their final resting place. I'm digging the fin loc deal...

39908589805_be628da323_c.jpg

Glued all four in place, checked every 15 minutes or so for a while to make sure the fin roots were tight against the motor tube. Morning after, fillets applied using Titebond Trim & Molding filleting goo.

39908590205_68298c09fe_c.jpg

Going to be short on time again today, but have to have this thing ready for the weekend! Go Dog Go!

to answer the question, 6 :). it has irked me that Estes considers one side is all that matters for decals, so when I built/rebuilt my 3" goblin* I requested some extra Bats.
Rex
*retired after a fin sheared off landing on frozen ground, a 2nd fin was cracked.

Sooooo...I think I might be too late to ask this question but those beveled fins are perfection. It's one of those things that there's probably a bunch of ways to do it but my question is; how do you do it?

Sooooo...I think I might be too late to ask this question but those beveled fins are perfection. It's one of those things that there's probably a bunch of ways to do it but my question is; how do you do it?

Very similar set up to what Eric uses...
DSC_1965_1280x853.JPG DSC_1964_1280x853.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_1962_1280x853.JPG
    DSC_1962_1280x853.JPG
    258.4 KB · Views: 691
Oooooooooh ok...Now there's a router bit I've never seen before - not that I am a router bit expert. What is that called?

Eric
Question why the Titebond over 5 min. epoxy?

You're not going mach 2 or anywhere near it with a kit like this. Plus, Titebond doesn't require mixing. Much easier to clean up, doesn't require gloves to handle and doesn't stink. Open the cap and squeeze. At least that's why I use it.

Looks to be building fin unit out side of booster tube. So he will need slot tube all the way out to the end of the tube?

Oooooooooh ok...Now there's a router bit I've never seen before - not that I am a router bit expert. What is that called?

Ditto on that question.

Edit: I think I found the answer. (TY Google). It's called a Structured Tooth Tungsten Carbide Cutter.

What Justin said! ^^^ I learned from the best!:cool:

Eric
Question why the Titebond over 5 min. epoxy?

What Dave said! ^^^ I truly enjoy using epoxy, but when Adrian said Titebond, I jumped on the bandwagon!

Ditto on that question.

Edit: I think I found the answer. (TY Google). It's called a Structured Tooth Tungsten Carbide Cutter.

Check out Typhoon Burs. And watch your fingers...:shock:

Looks to be building fin unit out side of booster tube. So he will need slot tube all the way out to the end of the tube?

Kinda sorta...

The instructions...posted on the website and included in the kit... give the builder the option of building the can outside of the airframe or the more traditional route of building and installing the motor mount, then affixing the fins. I chose to build it outside of the rocket; makes it really easy to ensure that all the joints are as intended.

When going that route, the airframe is sliced just aft of the fin slots...no need to remove the entire width of the fin, however. It goes something like this:

Slice It!

39013809760_b047c2a99f_c.jpg

Spread It!

39013808800_0398a0822f_c.jpg

Shove It!

39929043425_631765b1c4_c.jpg

The airframe will pop back into place once you clear the fins. Glue the aft end of the airframe to the aft centering ring and you'll never even notice the slices!

Last edited:
Do you still have your 5.5 Goblin-Ized Big Cletus?
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?47770-Loc-Big-Cletus-upscale-Goblin-quick-build

Ill be curious how they look next to each other and how close the fins are.
The Cletus fins are not quite to scale as the Goblin. But Thank You for fueling my ADD/OCD problem and now we may just have to re-brand the Big-C. Should we give it the same treatment we did to the 4"? 75/54/38 mm adaptor rings and loc-n-rings? We're all ears over here!!! LOL

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?47770-Loc-Big-Cletus-upscale-Goblin-quick-build

Yessir; excellent memory! It's flown...though not as often as I'd like. I planned to fly it last weekend on a Loki J528 White, but ran out of time.

Once I get the 4" version done (by this Sunday for sure), I'll line 'em up and snap a photo! Fin shape on the Cletus was "good enough" for me...the root is probably a bit long for a true Goblin upscale.

The Cletus fins are not quite to scale as the Goblin. But Thank You for fueling my ADD/OCD problem and now we may just have to re-brand the Big-C. Should we give it the same treatment we did to the 4"? 75/54/38 mm adaptor rings and loc-n-rings? We're all ears over here!!! LOL

Beat my to it!:cool:

4" version is ready to fly this weekend. Just sneaks in under the Class 1 limit of 3.3lbs loaded. More to come...

In the meantime, here's the comparison photo: 5.5" extended Cletus in a Goblin costume, 4" Loc Gobin, and Semroc's repro of the BT-55 Estes original.

39968619405_f8a9af19a4_z.jpg

Back