Playing with Ideas - Der Red Smoke (Nike Smoke vs Der Red Max)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snrkl

Reaction score
Decided to start using some of the LPR bits I have lying around and came up with a concept for a Nike Smoke vs Der Red Max..\

Mostly I do this because I really find making custom decals quite therapeutic... more's the better if it is something I can build to add to the fleet, and ends up being a real thing rather than just pixels on the screen...

OpenRocket048.jpg
OpenRocket047.png

It was a little tricky as I didn't want to risk offending people by putting the German Cross on something with "UNITED STATES" emblazoned on it... I think this is a happy compromise... (I am not overly precious or politically correct, but this is about the rockets and not the politiks!)

All the decals are "scratch built" in my vector artwork program of choice...

Affinity Designer010.png

That can be a sensitive issue, just don't plaster the crooked version on NYC subways, that caused quite the stir a while back during an ad campaign for the TV show based on The Man in the High Castle. You might not have heard about that down under.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...n-the-high-castle-pulled-from-new-york-subway

Red Max and Blue Bird Zero use the WWI-era Iron Cross. You could put your mask/snorkle logo on that skull face, make it a little transparent. That would be really cool. Did you consider the Nike Smoke nose cone, that is slightly larger dia than the body tube with a short transition.

Nose cone is one I have. I was thinking about modding it for the wider smoke look/feel.

I like the idea of the snorkel!!

As for man in the high castle - I saw all of the uproar online.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I think a straight Nike Smoke (with the 4 trapezoidal fins and big pointy nose) would look really good in Der Red graphiks.

That can be a sensitive issue, just don't plaster the crooked version on NYC subways, that caused quite the stir a while back during an ad campaign for the TV show based on The Man in the High Castle. You might not have heard about that down under.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...n-the-high-castle-pulled-from-new-york-subway

Red Max and Blue Bird Zero use the WWI-era Iron Cross. You could put your mask/snorkle logo on that skull face, make it a little transparent. That would be really cool. Did you consider the Nike Smoke nose cone, that is slightly larger dia than the body tube with a short transition.

We all know things like Der Red Max and Bluebird Zero are all in good fun with no malice intended but it is a different world now than 30 years ago. Not saying we have to let the silliness of “extreme” identity politics take the fun out of goofy things like DRM but I know I’m not comfortable using the NSFK decals on my Skonk Wulf - probably going to substitute a West German flag decal in its place.

All and all though I think your Red Smoke is pretty cool!

Back