Complete 5/5/18 DareDevil Built Thread, Air Brake Recovery Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something occurred to me while I was working on the rotor stops for my own "traditional" helicopter: what if you 3D printed a flat plate with the rotor incorporated into it, then glued the root edge of the rotor to the bottom of this piece? Another plastic piece would also be attached to the hub to protect IT from the impact of the rotor stop. Not only would you eliminate the rotor and hub splitting problem, if you incorporated predrilled holes in the plastic pieces you could continue to use your floss and duct tape hinging method.

I suppose an alternative to 3D printing would be to fabricate these pieces yourself using lightweight sheet plastic or fiberglass sheet. Thin ply would probably also work. Because of your rotor size (especially with your larger helirocs) the impact of them opening is quite significant so the idea is to protect the balsa from that impact by letting the plastic or fiberglass take the punishment.

Sound like it would work great. Basically the only thing that DOESN’T work is having grain direction wrong.

Not sure of the trade of between strength and weight comparing 3D printed plastic to two ply 1/8 inch or 3 ply 1/16 inch balsa, since I don’t do 3D printing. I am also guessing as soon as you start mixing plastic and balsa you are going to have to switch to epoxy or other heavier adhesives (senior forum member Davel suggested methylmethacrylate.)

Having built few score of these types (not sure if I have a hundred but getting close) once I went to two ply backing of the hub and forward end of the rotors, and two or three ply for the stops, the failure point when it occurs has always been midnor tail end of the rotors. Also while the ply adds a bit of weight (not much, IMO) all that weight is FORWARD, so it helps your stability.

Back