Aerotech RMS F24 delay spacer modification

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thought I would share this in case anyone else runs into the same issue. We started a student TARC team this year, and purchased a couple Aerotech 24/40 casings and 12 F24-7 motors. When we went to load the motors, the delay spacer would not fit flush with the end of the delay insulator like it should. Therefore, we could not get the aft closure to screw on all the way. I called Aerotech and a tech called me back. He said that due to chemistry changes in the delay, the delay charge has gotten a little thicker than it used to be, making the spacer slightly too thick. His suggestion was to sand off the spacer to make it fit flush in the delay insulator. You still have to crank pretty hard on the aft closure to get everything to close ok, but this solution seems to work fine. Here is a before and after pic showing the necessary modification to the delay spacer.

Bill

delayspacerssm.jpg

Thanks for the update! I've always found that the Aerotech 24/40 case has been tight even when all the parts fit correctly. I've used an old rag (t-shirt, etc.) to to put over the end closure and then twist by hand.

Latest posts

Back