Scratch built Snarky

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
20180310_134814.jpg20180310_132720.jpg20180310_132707.jpg

So this is my 3rd Snarky build, but thus time around decided to do it right and use the best materials. Basswood pieces, LOC motor mount tube, glassine body tubes, lite ply center rings.

Using the original cardboard wing jigs won't work, because the difference in size between the tubes that come with kit. The ones that come with the kit are thinner and flimsy. So I cut the jig to use a portion of it to get the correct angle. A little harder to use, but it was the only work around I had. I'll get new jigs kaser cut out of lite ply later.

Stay tuned!!

Everything has been upgraded and still deciding on what route to take on the nose cone. I'd like to have Sandman turn me one and this way I know it would fit. I have a new Snarky kit and was going to use the nose cone from it, but I'm not sure I want to break the kit up just for the cone. Besides the cone that comes with the kit fits pretty sloppy so I can't seem to bring myself to buy one from Apogee.
So in a nutshell everything has been changed. I'll probably use the stock chute...well maybe?

• Engine mount - LOC tube with Lite ply center rings.
• Airframes – Glassine type
• Balsa – Replaced with basswood pieces (Laser cut)
• Decals – Stickershock

Probably just going to go with the plastic chute, which I had from another Dynastar kit and Kevlar to make packing easier. Might reinforce the chute and cut a nice size spill hole in it. Also considering adding a portion of elastic shock cord to the upper portion to absorb the "shock" I hear this kits like to nose dive. I have about 10' of Kevlar already so might add another 48" of elastic connected via snap swivel.

Construction – 30 minute epoxy for the engine mount and fillets between the airframe and intake inlet tube to give a seamless look. Wood glue to join the basswood pieces together and to the airframe.

Paint – Duplicolor high build primer and gloss white or Satin White and Gloss Cherry Red for nose cone tip. Tester’s flat black for engine mount assembly.

Rocket Stand – 1/8th Lite ply. Sanded and finished. Tester’s flat black.

I love working with the basswood. Just sand and primer. There's only a couple small areas that need attention, but after that it's on to the paint.

My builds lately have been slow moving, because sometimes life just gets in the way. We've all been there, so just been working on this 30 minutes at a time if I get that. I haven't even been to a launch in a couple years. No WM membership anymore, but that will change soon. Once I get the time and some of these kits built I'll be back to where I was at before. Sometimes I just put myself last.

20180415_155220.jpg20180415_155228.jpg20180415_155243.jpg20180415_155259.jpg

I'll post more pictures of this later.

attachment.php

Looking good!

I see a lot of 1/10th scale R/C car stuff in this pics background. :)

I have some SCT nitro trucks. They are pretty fun run and I like the smell of nitro and the sound. Unfortunately right now most of my hobbies are kind of on the back burner. Do you run RCs as well?

Long long time ago. Mostly Tamiya cars just for fun, although I did own an Associated RC10 with a Red FG chassis and Futaba Magnum SR.

Long long time ago. Mostly Tamiya cars just for fun, although I did own an Associated RC10 with a Red FG chassis and Futaba Magnum SR.

I have a brand new Nitro Slash that I haven't even ran yet. A Slayer PRO with some aluminum dress up parts. Mostly functional parts. And two Losi Nitro SCTs. One is brand new with only about 5 tanks of fuel in it. The other I'm rebuilding it and putting in a ne piston, sleeve and connecting rod. Long story short. I sold it to friend of mine and he had it about a year, but it wasn't for him. I bought it back and it was still in good shape, but I decided to go through it. Again its just finding the time. A lot of the parts for those Losi trucks you can't get anymore because they don't make them because they discontinued the truck, but I was lucky to acquire some pretty important parts, so I'm able to make some nice mods.

I have a brand new Nitro Slash that I haven't even ran yet. A Slayer PRO with some aluminum dress up parts. Mostly functional parts. And two Losi Nitro SCTs. One is brand new with only about 5 tanks of fuel in it. The other I'm rebuilding it and putting in a ne piston, sleeve and connecting rod. Long story short. I sold it to friend of mine and he had it about a year, but it wasn't for him. I bought it back and it was still in good shape, but I decided to go through it. Again its just finding the time. A lot of the parts for those Losi trucks you can't get anymore because they don't make them because they discontinued the truck, but I was lucky to acquire some pretty important parts, so I'm able to make some nice mods.

Sweet! maybe post a pic or two when that project is done?

Yeah yeah, I know. This is a rocketry forum. But nitro powered land rockets should get a pass... :p

20180504_195433.jpg20180504_195417.jpg20180504_195356_Burst01.jpg20180504_195344.jpg

Just received my package from Sandman. He did an outstanding job turning the nose cone for my Snarky. Unlike the nose cones that come with the kit they fit sloppy. This one fits perfect. He even made a plug for the shoulder so I can add nose weight and seal it up perfectly.

Thanks Gordon I appreciate the nice job you did and the extra time you spent.

Back