Gluing clusters

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Performance nut

Reaction score
Hey all. About to start my cluster build today and was looking for some input. I'm going to be clustering 29mm MMT's together which normally I wouldn't give a second thought to using wood glue on 29mm MMT's. But since the total impulse of all of the engines will be going into I-J impulse range, figured I would stop for a second and consider.

The joint I'm most worried about is the CR-BT joint as it will take the brunt of the force. Each MMT will be thrusting with large G's to small H's so I'm wondering if Titebond will work for MMT-CR and MMT-TTW fin (1/4" fins). For the CR-BT joint, I'm wondering if I should go Rocketpoxy or Titebond.

I have enough for 3 CR's if that makes a difference as the MMT's are long. If I'm way off base on this, please let me know. I'm not a fan of super overbuilding but I also want to do it right. I appreciate the feedback.

The question that needs to be answered is what material is being joined, until then what adhesive to use is unknown. I am guessing wood and paper ( due to Titebond reference), if so, using epoxy really adds nothing to the build except extra weight and if needed additional cure time. Titebond and other aliphatic resin wood glues are stronger than the materials the bond, they are not as heat resistant as some epoxies, but for most motor burn durations and the insulating effects of paper mmt's the adhesives are rarely weakened by heat.

The question that needs to be answered is what material is being joined, until then what adhesive to use is unknown. I am guessing wood and paper ( due to Titebond reference), if so, using epoxy really adds nothing to the build except extra weight and if needed additional cure time. Titebond and other aliphatic resin wood glues are stronger than the materials the bond, they are not as heat resistant as some epoxies, but for most motor burn durations and the insulating effects of paper mmt's the adhesives are rarely weakened by heat.

Pay attention to this ^^^

Disregard the free association gibberish from Andrew_ASC. It has no bearing on your specific question.

If it’s paper, I’d use Titebond over epoxy any day of the week. Easier to use and stronger than the intended use. Wood glues hold up to way more than J’s.

Back