4" LOC Precision Goblin Adapter Setup

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAllen

Reaction score
Anyone else see this?

https://www.locprecision.com/iq-content/uploads/GoblinInstructions.pdf

Just one ring gets attached to the back of your rocket and the motor get's attached to the ring basically. I don't know that I've ever seen this before...The more I think about it the more I like the utterly stupid simple design. Anyone have any experience with a system like this? I can see this working great with a reloads as you have a nice metal edge to grip but what about SU motors?

Just picked up the kit today at the launch after watching the LOC boys put it up on a big AT 38 red. And yes, mine will be built with Titebond...

Sweet! Going to do a build thread?

That assumes that I'll build it. You know me... It has to properly age before it can be built... :facepalm: :eyeroll:
I've been sitting in my living room watching TV and checking the parts fit. I did send a LOT of component pics to rfjustin, so I guess I could morph that into a unboxing/build thread. I really should finish the Chaos first... It's SOOO darn close. I did drill all the holes in the 5" 98mm Jart, and the 4X4 Punisher, so progress was made today. Oh ho! Pizza is done! Gonna have to wait... :wink: :wink:

I'm really surprised I haven't got more feedback than this with all the noise generated on FB about this kit...Does no one have any experience with an adapter setup like this?

No experience with that exact style yet. But I will in a few days when my kit gets in. Seams like the same concept of PML's Kwik-Switch 2000 . They tread in and secure the forward end. Opposed to sliding in and securing with a screw on the aft end.

Can you move each tube size down .50" and add a retainer? Instead if caplow clips?

It is a great system! It does differ from the PML Quick Switch system; which uses threaded cast urethane pieces that can limit motor lengths and choices somewhat. This is a superior system, in my opinion.

In short, the host motor mount (54mm) is built in conventional fashion; except for the interlocking design which is pretty sweet! The adapters are the unique portion. Here's a pair of photos to help clarify:

Interlocking motor mount/fin assembly. Two T-nuts used for retention:

39890735155_d46a06f6df_c.jpg
[/IMG]

The adapters are composed of three rings: two 54mm to 29/38 are used to center the smaller motor tubes within the host tube. They're placed near the front and rear of the motor tubes. The aft ring fits into the aft end of the rocket and acts as the thrust bearing surface. The aft ring of the adapters have both T-nuts in them (for securing the motor), and slots in them (for securing the adapter to the host ring). Pretty slick design!

38975377960_8704bfa6ef_c.jpg
[/IMG]

I'll start a general Loc Goblin thread for build, flight, photos, and so on. Not exclusively my build....a place for anyone interested to drop their thoughts!

Last edited:
Ooooohhh I see this makes way more sense. So, wouldn't it be better to install the 4"x54mm ring flush with the aft end of the mmt tube? Then the ring of the adaptor is pushing flush up against the rear centering ring rather than the ridge of the mmt tube...Probably doesn't make a difference I guess.

It is a great system! It does differ from the PML Quick Switch system; which uses threaded cast urethane pieces that can limit motor lengths and choices somewhat. This is a superior system, in my opinion.

In short, the host motor mount (54mm) is built in conventional fashion; except for the interlocking design which is pretty sweet! The adapters are the unique portion. Here's a pair of photos to help clarify:

Interlocking motor mount/fin assembly. Two T-nuts used for retention:

39890735155_d46a06f6df_c.jpg
[/IMG]

The adapters are composed of three rings: two 54mm to 29/38 are used to center the smaller motor tubes within the host tube. They're placed near the front and rear of the motor tubes. The aft ring fits into the aft end of the rocket and acts as the thrust bearing surface. The aft ring of the adapters have both T-nuts in them (for securing the motor), and slots in them (for securing the adapter to the host ring). Pretty slick design!

38975377960_8704bfa6ef_c.jpg
[/IMG]

I'll start a general Loc Goblin thread for build, flight, photos, and so on. Not exclusively my build....a place for anyone interested to drop their thoughts!
Yes, I can definitely see the difference in the two systems. And yes my PML quickswitch does limit my motor length.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

We've personally used this system for over 20 years. It's never let us down. Now with superior equipment, we can mass produce the system. Not sure how many kits will benefit from this at this point. We'll let the masses decide if they like it too! =)

Back