High power launch sites open till March 18? Any dates next week?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew_ASC

UTC SEDS 2017 3rd/ SEDS 2018 1st
Reaction score
Does anyone have a list of sites southeastern US that satisfy this requirement? Closer to TN the better. I heard Manchester lost its HPR field last year but idk. Need a waiver to 3,500ft for a cert flight?

We have a 10k M waiver the 17th, but I bet you don't feel like coming all the way up to northern New England...

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

HahahaAa... Yes that's a bit of a commute. I went to Wendover, Utah and Monterey, Virginia last year for two student rocket project launches which while fun was a bit of stressor. It's one thing when you need the waiver the commute is clearly worth it. I don't need that kind of a waiver past 10,000ft or past 20,000ft again as this isn't multistage MD competition again. I was hopeful for any responses in North Carolina, Virginia, Georgia, Alabama, or Mississippi.

If camping is allowed that's a plus or nearby lodging. Lol.

So far I'm looking at ROCC in Concord, NC. Open to others. I know VAST is 7 hour drive up to 11.5kft, friendly staff, nearly missed the turn twice. UROC was freakin' 35 hours plus non stop as a engineering student team changing drivers and yeah... That's fun once. Been to Boston for stuff non rocket related fishing trips oddly but schedule doesn't align for that. Mike's Canoloas and the Seabass were epic. They had a bunch of Dunkin' Donuts on every other corner idk why.

Thanks Tim. You're the best. I sorta ticked off the entire forum talking about a bad Madcow experience last summer over one outer tube diameter or lack of info and a delayed response. Madcow eventually fixed it but not like how you answer the phone. You're the reason UTC went from nothing to nationals 3rd at USRC SEDS not Madcow. My 2 cents. Haters gonna hate. There's a whole bunch of Madcow bias I think on here. Man I really kicked a hornets nest hard. Can't wait to certify with your products.

Thanks Tim. You're the best. I sorta ticked off the entire forum talking about a bad Madcow experience last summer over one outer tube diameter or lack of info and a delayed response. Madcow eventually fixed it but not like how you answer the phone. You're the reason UTC went from nothing to nationals 3rd at USRC SEDS not Madcow. My 2 cents. Haters gonna hate. There's a whole bunch of Madcow bias I think on here. Man I really kicked a hornets nest hard. Can't wait to certify with your products.

Yea, cuz the madcow thing was totally the first time you drove everyone bonkers.

And you're still kicking that nest..

Andrew-not a complete list but the following may be helpful:
1. Bayboro N.C.-waiver set to 16,000 feet for commercial motors.Season ends in May (possibly late April).
2. Camden S.C. (ICBM club) -waiver at 15,000 feet but due to "rocket eating trees" most fly under 7000 feet. Fly every month of the calendar unless weather conditions prevent flights.
3. Taladega AL. waiver to over 20,000 feet- season may end in May/June
4. Huntsville AL.-waiver, I believe is around 12,000 feet-Check their website of when their season may end.

I've flown at Camden & Bayboro-great guys and I've heard flying at Taladega & Huntsville are very good.

Fred, L2
member of ICBM
Camden, S.C.
KG4YGP

UTC went from nothing to nationals 3rd at USRC SEDS

MMMMkkkkaaaaaay... I think I'll go ahead and stir the pot.

First off... USRC was a rigged con-job. Until last year the guy overseeing was helping his his Alma-mater win. He literally built the rocket that won them the competition the first year. See the Mizzou SEDS facebook page for proof. This year, the contest is being run by the guy who was Mizzou team president when they won the first time. Legit contest, right?

Also, I still have yet to find a single shred of proof of them filing an FAA waiver for either of the launches that won them the competitions. NOTAM database showed nothing and their launch site would have had to encompass several (occupied) private properties to have gotten a waiver for the altitude they flew at. Hell, there were occupied buildings within 700ft of the pad. It took me 2 minutes to find their launch site on google maps using the gps overlay they put in their launch video. sloppy.

For the above reasons, I don't like telling people we were involved with USRC. That whole thing is scummy and it reeks of disaster.

Second... Tennessee Tech broke a resister off the back of their altimeter and had to sub in another perfectflite altimeter. Their altitude still wasn't accepted (understandable).

However, the altitude that beeped out of that stratologger was 6032ft... easily second place.

Not bad for a couple of kit-bashed Formula 54's from MadCow, is it? :wink:

Side note: I'm sure Wildman is a great guy, but I won't buy from him until the day he decides to put specs on his website. There's literally no way to see how tall they are, or even a generic list of what's in the kit. No expected weights, nothing. I don't need instructions, but a simple "what's in the box" would be nice.

Last edited:
SEDS sent two altimeters. What happened to the first or second one? We didn't buy any APRA, they were shipped.

TTU denied a transfer for me is the irony, I could've been on their rocket team. They told me to only retake calc 1, calc 2, calc3, and diff eq. I just said no thanks. Lol.

Wildman RB-05A Sport "scale" with an IRIS 24" Drogue as main on an H219T-14. Motor eject and predicting about 2,800ft are the plans for next weekend. One bad hawk harness Kevlar. Got a replacement chute and nomex in the mail. It's flown on an I300T once, but I wanna redo fillets. Stability cal about 1.7. It flies nice. Packing volume is limited with counter weight up front. I need to brush up on rigging recovery stuff. Recovery gear selection was why I failed my first cert.

On build pile I got a Wildman Sandhawk and a SAAB BAMSE cad complete for L2 capable. I know I need to get some more L-1 flights in before moving up to gain more flight experience. I think even L-1 motors will offer capabilities to test small scale prototypes.

Emailed ROCC today and they have 4500ft. Winds for Sat would be high. My car had a water leak through a rubber elbow design fault Volvo S40T5 07, which flooded a yaw rate sensor and a bunch of critical ABS wiring or some crap and it pisses me off. The sensors work. Some error codes were thrown and taking apart interior is a chore. Don't know if I can get it all done by Sunday. I can always fly it another date. I guess I should invest in a JLCR.

Missed the cert date. I can't fix the drain plug myself. It's not accessible and it's buried in a corner where the a-pillar meets a windscreen. Finally found a freaking mechanic to do it but he said "Worst damn design ever, flooded every Volvo from 03-09." Of course they didn't have a elbow in stock till next Wednesday. All over a rubber elbow you can't reach. You gut the inside of a car literally to fix it.

Back