LUNAR Snow Ranch 3/10/18

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThirstyBarbarian

Reaction score
It looks like this launch is a GO for now! This is the make-up rain date for last week’s rained-out launch.

I’m planning to be there with the usual lineup. I haven’t built anything new since last month. It will be great just to get out to the ranch.

Is anyone else planning to go?

If you are planning to go, be sure to check the hotline right before you leave.

I will be there bright and early. Bring a few smaller rockets. Also, have "Easter EggSpress" ready to drop eggs. And 38mm MD speed of cardboard will fly.

Planning to do my L2 cert assuming we don’t get rained out.

This will be my fourth ot fifth attempt...due to rain/drought canceled launches, no exams/proctors, etc... Have had the rocket since 2014/2015 and have limited to launching when possible on big I motors.

This will be my fourth ot fifth attempt...due to rain/drought canceled launches, no exams/proctors, etc... Have had the rocket since 2014/2015 and have limited to launching when possible on big I motors.

Great! Who do you have lined up for the test?

It all fit in the Fit. I could still bring a passenger. 0309181703.jpg

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Great! Who do you have lined up for the test?
I talked with Dave R at the last launch and asked him to bring me the L2 exam at the next launch (now tomorrow). I don’t know if he or someone else will administer the test. More concerned about who will be available to witness the cert flight. IIRC one L3 or two L2’s can act as witnesses.

I really want to get this done before LDRS so I can launch more than a 2% J motor ( A J420R is my cert motor, ha ha! )

Good Luck, this time for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I talked with Dave R at the last launch and asked him to bring me the L2 exam at the next launch (now tomorrow). I don’t know if he or someone else will administer the test. More concerned about who will be available to witness the cert flight. IIRC one L3 or two L2’s can act as witnesses.

I really want to get this done before LDRS so I can launch more than a 2% J motor ( A J420R is my cert motor, ha ha! )

I'm guessing NAR...
https://www.nar.org/high-power-rocketry-info/level-2-hpr-certification/

Tony

I wish I could be there, but my mother is in the hospital.

IMG_1477.jpgIMG_1501.jpgIMG_1522.jpgIMG_1532.jpg
Nice low key LUNAR launch yesterday with 4,000 ft ceiling, low winds and the last hour lost to rain. Flew the Wild Thang Jr, Scarab 54 and an Estes Orbital Transport. Picked up a nice big steak and some hamburger from the ranch folks on the way out.

The Orbital Transport flight was the fruition of a multi decade dream. I used to pore through the early '70s Estes catalogs and the Orbital Transport had always been the favorite.

There was a special Silver Anniversary launch event celebrating 25 years of LUNAR launches. The LCO Tony ran through esch rack sequentially in short order. I’m going to let Thirsty describe his Warlock launch which brought roars from the crowd of spectators. Don’t want to steal his thunder. It was spectacular.

Yes, I was able to complete my L2 certification successfully but must admit to missing one of the exam questions...wanted a perfect score but launch fever got in the way. Had a nice launch on a J420R...love those red motors...followed by a long retrieval hike due to the wind that gusted during my boost. My Goblin 5.5 dropped out of sight behind one of the ridges to the north of the launch site. I hiked over three of the ridges and finally located my rocket at the bottom of the gully at the edge of the dry creek bed. Nothing worthwhile is ever easy.

No video that I know of and I took only one cellphone picture of my bird on the rail...which I can’t upload here.

There was a special Silver Anniversary launch event celebrating 25 years of LUNAR launches. The LCO Tony ran through esch rack sequentially in short order. I’m going to let Thirsty describe his Warlock launch which brought roars from the crowd of spectators. Don’t want to steal his thunder. It was spectacular.

Yes, I was able to complete my L2 certification successfully but must admit to missing one of the exam questions...wanted a perfect score but launch fever got in the way. Had a nice launch on a J420R...love those red motors...followed by a long retrieval hike due to the wind that gusted during my boost. My Goblin 5.5 dropped out of sight behind one of the ridges to the north of the launch site. I hiked over three of the ridges and finally located my rocket at the bottom of the gully at the edge of the dry creek bed. Nothing worthwhile is ever easy.

No video that I know of and I took only one cellphone picture of my bird on the rail...which I can’t upload here.

Congratulations on the L2 cert! I want to get mine soon, but it looks like it might have to wait until LDRS.

And thanks for the compliments on the monkey launch! It was fun, and I think people enjoyed it. I posted video in another thread, with a link in my post above.

Great flight by Skip for L2... perfect in every way and a 100 foot landing from the pad! Loved the monkey! We were the car next to you and my kids now want to launch all their beanie babies at the April launch, so, we'll be seeing a few more flying fur fracas! Great flights by all! QQuake... best wishes for your mom.

Great flight by Skip for L2... perfect in every way and a 100 foot landing from the pad! Loved the monkey! We were the car next to you and my kids now want to launch all their beanie babies at the April launch, so, we'll be seeing a few more flying fur fracas! Great flights by all! QQuake... best wishes for your mom.

Great to meet you! It’s always fun to put a face to a TRF moniker.

Back