Pro75 4g - Cleaning the case issues...?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAllen

Reaction score
Not sure if this is an issue or not but I loaded and flew a L1115 this weekend with the ND Rocket team with a brand spanking new Pro75 4g and after cleaning out the case I noticed these white markings on the inside. Motor fired just fine as far as I could tell and I cleaned it out like I've done with other cases - warm soapy water and a toilet brush. Also, on the forward closure I can't seem to get these stupid black marks off. So are these two issues I need to worry about? While I've flown lots of Loki 75mm motors before this was a new experience for me. Had no real issues assembling it other than the instructions leave a bit to be desired.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1boGji9yJjfC72CZSDHGdvhRSYmiyXHeO/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rlSxJggVLS6XzMJ2Rw9mpi1X3YTi_fPw/view?usp=sharing

-Dave

Certain chemicals, minerals etc. especially when combined with heat just plain old like to discolor aluminum. Rocket propellant would be one of those. Simply cosmetic nothing more. Here's a couple pics. of my AMW 640 case, very discolored yet smooth as a babies behind inside. I used 7or 8 Skidmarks in it, they had no grain liners, just casting tubes. Heck to clean up but loved the motors. Had to soak em in vinegar for 2 hours first, then washed with soap and water with a bottle brush.

amw 1.JPGamw 2.JPG

Certain chemicals, minerals etc. especially when combined with heat just plain old like to discolor aluminum. Rocket propellant would be one of those. Simply cosmetic nothing more. Here's a couple pics. of my AMW 640 case, very discolored yet smooth as a babies behind inside. I used 7or 8 Skidmarks in it, they had no grain liners, just casting tubes. Heck to clean up but loved the motors. Had to soak em in vinegar for 2 hours first, then washed with soap and water with a bottle brush.

View attachment 340389View attachment 340390

Awesome. That makes me feel better. This isn't my case technically so I just want to make sure I do it right.

My two cents - the white discoloration in the case could be just that - discoloration. If the surfaces feel smooth, then I would not worry about it.

The black crud in the forward closure is different. That looks like black crud. I use Break-Free to soften that stuff, and you can scrub it out with a 3M scrubby pad.

Clean up is easier if you use some sort of lube in the cases before building the motor. My L3CC turned me on to aerosol Teflon lube -- sprays on wet, dries out immediately and seems to make clean-up easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if this is an issue or not but I loaded and flew a L1115 this weekend with the ND Rocket team with a brand spanking new Pro75 4g and after cleaning out the case I noticed these white markings on the inside. Motor fired just fine as far as I could tell and I cleaned it out like I've done with other cases - warm soapy water and a toilet brush. Also, on the forward closure I can't seem to get these stupid black marks off. So are these two issues I need to worry about? While I've flown lots of Loki 75mm motors before this was a new experience for me. Had no real issues assembling it other than the instructions leave a bit to be desired.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1boGji9yJjfC72CZSDHGdvhRSYmiyXHeO/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rlSxJggVLS6XzMJ2Rw9mpi1X3YTi_fPw/view?usp=sharing

-Dave

Scrub them with a scotchbrite pad. I’ll bet they go away. Blue scotchbrite won’t hurt aluminum. Green is slightly abrasive on aluminum but I’ve never hurt a case while using it.

Scrub them with a scotchbrite pad. I’ll bet they go away. Blue scotchbrite won’t hurt aluminum. Green is slightly abrasive on aluminum but I’ve never hurt a case while using it.

Good to know. I bought a P98 1G casing from Wildman that had been sitting with a liner in it for a while. It was a bear to get out. Thank goodness it was just 1 grain. It left a white residue that has dimension and I need to get rid of it. I was trying to think of the best thing to use for scrubbing. Hoppes #9 didn't really do the trick with no abrasive. It does scrape off but I want to avoid damaging the case. I sure as heck will not leave a liner in it for any length of time. I got a great deal on it and it was worth the effort for sure.

I've never used anything other than vinegar, then dish soap and water to clean cases and closures. A little soak in vinegar always removed the black residue(crusty stuff). I clean up my stainless blast plate by laying a paper towel on it and soaking it with vinegar for an hour or so and then take a scotchbrite pad and scrub it good. It gets nice and clean after being very black and crusty. I put vinegar in a spray bottle for my launch rails spray them down and also use a scotchbrite pad to clean them up followed by a good rinse with water. I know Dr. Rocket used to have hardware cleaning instructions and recommended vinegar.

Back