• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Loki 38-120

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianaSteve

Reaction score
Anyone have a used Loki 38/120 complete case Layin around they want to sell? Looking to get into higher power rocketry, and hopefully get my L1 when the weather warms up. Appreciate any help!
Steve

You are probably aware, but the 38/120 won't get your L1.
Go for the 38/240. That'll do it. :D

Yes I’m aware of that. Was just loooking at the 38/120 to get into 38mm since the reloads are non hazmat. I don’t think Aerotech makes a non hazmat 38mm load or I would stick with them since that’s what I use in 29,24, and 18mm

Yes I’m aware of that. Was just loooking at the 38/120 to get into 38mm since the reloads are non hazmat. I don’t think Aerotech makes a non hazmat 38mm load or I would stick with them since that’s what I use in 29,24, and 18mm

Not to dissuade you from pursuing Loki (I will probably get a 38mm one this year, for variety), but AT has the following non-HAZ motors:

• 38/240 - H130W (can be found for $15-ish)
  • 38/360 - I180W (can be found for $33-ish)
  • 38/1080 - J520W (not widely available, I haven't bought one yet)

a

Get a longer Loki or CTI 38mm and use grain spacers. You get to try various reloads that way, then use the same case for L1.

Yes I was looking at the variety as well. The Loki looks pretty appealing having at least 5 different motors that are non hazmat and not needing a L1 to purchase.

Yes I was looking at the variety as well. The Loki looks pretty appealing having at least 5 different motors that are non hazmat and not needing a L1 to purchase.

The posts above are right that you will need the 240 and 480 cases for L1 loads. (Believe me, you want to fly the I405.) But the 120 is great, especially for the G69. The only issue is that you have to design your G-powered rockets for 38 mm.

Edit: I love my 38-120 case. There's no way I'm selling it!

Last edited:
Truth be told, I’m not even sure if I will be running a 38mm to get my L1. I’m just looking for a case to get into 38mm rockets. For my L1 I might just stick with my tried and true modified Aerotech G-Force and run my 29/180 case.

I'd like to put another compliment for the 38-240 from Loki. It's my most commonly flown case. Great bang for the buck, and it's a nice way to get your L1.

The 38-480 with the I405 is a case every person needs to fly at least once. I absolutely LOVE this load.

Don't know that you'll find many folks parting ways with their Loki hardware...great quality stuff and has a faithful following for those that fly Loki!

Several great vendors out there, but a quick plug for Teddy at Onebadhawk....he's a stellar vendor of Loki stuff. Knows the product well; great service all around! It appears that he has the 38/120 hardware in stock right now.

Don't know that you'll find many folks parting ways with their Loki hardware...great quality stuff and has a faithful following for those that fly Loki!

Several great vendors out there, but a quick plug for Teddy at Onebadhawk....he's a stellar vendor of Loki stuff. Knows the product well; great service all around! It appears that he has the 38/120 hardware in stock right now.
If I can’t find a used one and save a few bucks, Tony is already saved in my favorites and I noticed he had them in stock.

Guess I could add the 120 is fun as heck as well. You are absolutely right on the non HAZMAT 38 loads. Lots of fun on the cheap. I have the 120 and 240.
If you try the spacer trick for Loki, you will still have to have a different nozzle, and for about the price of spacers you could have the other case.
Good luck.

Guess I could add the 120 is fun as heck as well. You are absolutely right on the non HAZMAT 38 loads. Lots of fun on the cheap. I have the 120 and 240.
If you try the spacer trick for Loki, you will still have to have a different nozzle, and for about the price of spacers you could have the other case.
Good luck.

Are their spaces for Loki? If that's the case, just by the 240.

A few years ago, Scott was looking into aluminum grain spacers. He would have to post an update. I use 1" schedule 40 PVC for 1-gr and 2-gr spacers in 38mm Loki hardware, but not for their commercial loads.

loki 38/240 loads are also non-hazmat ;)

Not available commercially, but a spacer is a spacer is a spacer. All it does is take up the space between forward closure and snap ring. Lots of options if one is willing to experiment and risk their hardware and/or rocketry . They would be considered research loads of course, with everything that entails.

loki 38/240 loads are also non-hazmat ;)
This too. The H144 is the loudest white in its class...that I've heard.

Back