L3 - really?? Tekcub 3L

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And just for clarification that physical break can usually happen between the battery and an altimeter or it can happen between the altimeter and the ejection charge.
So the currently planned Raven 2 being controlled by only a magnetic switch. Would not be allowed per the rules. I had to redesign my wiring for that same reason.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

You could just add surface mount switches to cut the power to the charges and be fine. It's more switches, but a smaller mod if you are reusing sleds from another project, and it allows use of the power perch. Just an option...

So the currently planned Raven 2 being controlled by only a magnetic switch. Would not be allowed per the rules. I had to redesign my wiring for that same reason.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Per NAR rules I agree. Tripoli did specifically approve the use of the Eggtimer WiFi switch though. It defaults its outputs to the off position and it enhances safety by allowing a person to arm energetics from a distance rather than right next to it.

Finally got some time to work on this

Actually assembling the motor mount with more than blue masking tape....
The top is epoxied on with Teddy's One Bad Hawk harness.

IMG_3095.jpg IMG_3096.jpg

Sanding the tube to attach the next CR

IMG_3100.jpg

I then thought I would try something.... different.
Thought I would embed some FG into the CR/tube fillet. Came out real ugly (using Rocketpoxy didn't help)
The other side I did a regular fillet with milled fibers mixed into the epoxy - much nicer

IMG_3101.jpg IMG_3102.jpg

Final mount pix before I "bury" it inside a tube....

Tightened all the nuts/bolts with Blue loctite

More fillets plus added some foamboard epoxy pockets. Also some shots of the inserts for the rail buttons

IMG_3105.jpg IMG_3106.jpg IMG_3109.jpg IMG_3110.jpg

Thing continue to go.. slowly.......

As seen before, the mount is ready to install. But I want to be ready to install the fins at the same time so I want several hours blocked out. Unfortunately, things keep coming up.....:facepalm:

But I've done some of the smaller items in the dribs and drabs of time I've been able to use the last few days.

First - nose cone bulkhead with its "window" for future use

IMG_3107.jpg IMG_3108.jpg

The U-Bolt is 5/16". Blue Loctite on the threads

Sanded the coupler and installed the bulkhead - Rocketpoxy with milled fibers

IMG_3132.jpg IMG_3133.jpg

Finally, sanded inside and outside of switch band and AV bay coupler and epoxied those together (only used rocketpoxy straight - didn't want to bulk it up too much)

IMG_3130.jpg IMG_3131.jpg IMG_3135.jpg

Thing continue to go.. slowly.......

As seen before, the mount is ready to install. But I want to be ready to install the fins at the same time so I want several hours blocked out. Unfortunately, things keep coming up.....:facepalm:

But I've done some of the smaller items in the dribs and drabs of time I've been able to use the last few days.

First - nose cone bulkhead with its "window" for future use

View attachment 341553 View attachment 341554

The U-Bolt is 5/16". Blue Loctite on the threads...

Question: Did you turn the plywood pieces or use purchased CR & bulkhead?

Finally got some time to work on this

Actually assembling the motor mount with more than blue masking tape....
The top is epoxied on with Teddy's One Bad Hawk harness.

View attachment 341185 View attachment 341186

Sanding the tube to attach the next CR

View attachment 341187

I then thought I would try something.... different.
Thought I would embed some FG into the CR/tube fillet. Came out real ugly (using Rocketpoxy didn't help)
The other side I did a regular fillet with milled fibers mixed into the epoxy - much nicer

View attachment 341188 View attachment 341189

Ha,,
I saw pic #2 and thought to myself -- self-- I hope Les put some loctite on the threads
of those bolts coming up from underneath and into the rod coups...

Then I read the next post,, lol...

Smokin, rock solid build Les...

Teddy

Applied a fillet to the other side of the nose cone bulkhead (I removed the cover first to keep it out of the way)

IMG_3137.jpg

AND - YES! Motor mount installed and fins installed.

Working alone so difficult to get "in process" shots.

I miked up a batch of rocketpoxy with fibers and applied to the various rings and installed the mount.
Installed the rail button screws to hold it in place.

Then double buttered each fin root and installed. I made some guides from foam board
And to make sure the upper and lower fins were aligned, I also clamped some angle aluminum to each pair. Plus a little tape to hold the fins in.
Everything is curing now...... Whew... :w: :w::w:

IMG_3136.jpg

Starting to look like a rocket!

Last edited:
A bit more unusual question/thought. I was trying to decide between using a deployment bag or not
Since I started using them I haven't looked back. My opinion is they add to the overall reliability of the system, assuming you have thought it out correctly in the first place.

Lots of different ways to rig the recovery. Lots of opinions. Think through what would work for you (and ask other people their thoughts on it too), and don't forget to design for sub-nominal events :) .

I hope the project goes well for you!

Well, I said next step was fillet but....

I did fillet the rear CR

IMG_3147.jpg

My main activity was to clean/sand/clean the coupler for the nose cone and the nose cone itself

IMG_3143.jpg IMG_3144.jpg

Some Rocketpoxy. The ring closest to the tip has milled fibers. The other ring is plain rocketpoxy. Installed the coupler.
Took a bit of leaning on it to get it seated....
And the internal results after a while. So the excess epoxy was pushed up and then ran down the inside of the coupler a bit, but left a good fillet near the top of the coupler. Picture taken through the "window" in the bulkhead.

IMG_3145.jpg IMG_3146.jpg

Last edited:
And I goofed on the coupler.
I forgot to account for the fin angle. It will work as is, but trying to decide if I should make new ones or not.

IMG_3160.jpg IMG_3161.jpg

I will be using the couplers to help support the actual tube that I will install. Since they will be under the tube they can work "as is", but I would get more support if I make new ones. I could try the tape/expoxy method. Or glue back what I cut out (I still have the pieces).

Realistically, cutting them was a 10~15 min job and I have another coupler so multiple solutions available. Time to flip a coin - or roll a dice since I have more than 2 options :wink:

That does look cool!
Question: Will you close up the back end of the pods, or leave them open?

Actually, I had not really thought about that.......

I did make a new coupler. Even accounted for the bevel on the fin..... Looks much better! 2 more to go.

IMG_3170.jpg IMG_3171.jpg

By the way, since the rocket has 3 fins, everything I'm cutting in half is leaving me a spare piece. I wonder if I could build half a rocket???

But where could I buy half a motor?????? :wink:

Actually, I had not really thought about that.......

I did make a new coupler. Even accounted for the bevel on the fin..... Looks much better! 2 more to go.

View attachment 342262 View attachment 342263

By the way, since the rocket has 3 fins, everything I'm cutting in half is leaving me a spare piece. I wonder if I could build half a rocket???

But where could I buy half a motor?????? :wink:

It would be an interesting project to get a half rocket to fly on a whole motor... I say go for it!

Not much exciting to report. Spent part of last weekend going to watch the 3/4 scale Mercury Redstone Launch.
Then middle of the week I had to replace our oven that died Easter....

Bonded the last pod cone to the body tonight

The other 2 are already bonded. I did one at a time so the epoxy could flow down to the joint

My process was
1) place cone, couplers, and tube on rocket - mark location
2) remove parts, clean marked area with acetone
3) sand marked area to rough up surface
4) clean sanded area with acetone
5) clean cone with alcohol
6) use xacto to cut grooves on internal surface
7) mix epoxy - goop up inside
8) install onto rocket - temporarily install tube for alignment
9) clean excess epoxy with alcohol soaked rag and tape cone to body - let epoxy "run down" internally

IMG_3172.jpg IMG_3201.jpg

Maybe a little difficult to see, the some results of my "goop and droop" technique

IMG_3204.jpg

I decided to use PML expanding foam for the pod nose cones thinking that stuff is so sticky it will help hold the nose cones on

IMG_3213.jpg

Drilled some holes for epoxy rivets plus scored the cone.

Decided to cut tube in half - thinking of foaming it as well and don't want too long a space to work with.

Epoxy was "goop and droop" again. Did do a double glue joint for the tube to the coupler using Titebond II

IMG_3214.jpg IMG_3215.jpg

FYI - I won't be working on this again until Friday at the earliest.....

After all the tubes were installed, I injected some epoxy to clean up the tube/fin joints. Then more 2 part foam

IMG_3227.jpg IMG_3231.jpg

Tomorrow I will install the other half of the pod tube...

Back