• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Ellis Mountain Rocket Motors - J228 & H50

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAHagen

Reaction score
So I'm putting together a nice Little 38MD and I saw that the J228 would be a great motor to push it past 20000 feet... Except that they're long out of business. I know once before I got my hands on an H50 thanks to this forum so I thought I would test the waters once again.

Name your price, I'm willing to negotiate on prices based on similarly sized motors.

So I'm putting together a nice Little 38MD and I saw that the J228 would be a great motor to push it past 20000 feet... Except that they're long out of business. I know once before I got my hands on an H50 thanks to this forum so I thought I would test the waters once again.

Name your price, I'm willing to negotiate on prices based on similarly sized motors.

Even when they where being produced , there was about a 50% chance of it catoing . I tried flying two , blew the hell out of two rockets . Seems like the only way they did work was to put the ignitor about 6 inches into the motor . Good luck finding one , better luck making one work . Stick a Loki in it and let it loose .

I've got about a dozen of the J228's as well as a bunch of the H101s. I've flown about 20 of the H101's without mishap, as well as several H50s. I even have some H50-6 and H50-10's left.

I remember talking to Bob about how to install the ignitors in his super long single use motors. He had some long 28mm I motors that had similar issues. He said no more than 2/3rds of the way up. I can't decide what to do with the J228s. I've thought about cutting them open and just reusing the grains. Or making a 'single use' rocket out of spare parts in case the motor performs as described by others. Seems like a good BALLS project.

The big problem Robert is where could you fly such a motor? They were decertified years ago so I'm not sure what kind of launch you could fly one at.

Tony

Last edited:
I've got about a dozen of the J228's as well as a bunch of the H101s. I've flown about 20 of the H101's without mishap, as well as several H50s. I even have some H50-6 and H50-10's left.

I remember talking to Bob about how to install the ignitors in his super long single use motors. He had some long 28mm I motors that had similar issues. He said no more than 2/3rds of the way up. I can't decide what to do with the J228s. I've thought about cutting them open and just reusing the grains. Or making a 'single use' rocket out of spare parts in case the motor performs as described by others. Seems like a good BALLS project.

The big problem Robert is where could you fly such a motor? They were decertified years ago so I'm not sure what kind of launch you could fly one at.

Tony

The J228 is a single grain motor . The case would split just forward of the nozzle.

I've thought about cutting them open and just reusing the grains. Or making a 'single use' rocket out of spare parts in case the motor performs as described by others. Seems like a good BALLS project.

Tony

The same thing crossed my mind about the 5040.

The other Tony

5040.jpg

The J228 is a single grain motor . The case would split just forward of the nozzle.
Hmmm, I just went out in the garage and looked down the nozzle of one of the J228's I have. I can clearly see the individual grains. I tried taking a picture but it was very difficult to both light the core and take a picture at the same time. But there are clearly multiple grains. You can see the grain joint in the photo below in spite of the bad exposure and focus.

Not sure what that means other than the J228's I have aren't single grain motors.

Tony

J228.jpg
grains.jpg
motors.jpg

Last edited:
Even when they where being produced , there was about a 50% chance of it catoing

Wow! I didn't know they had such a high failure rate.

My MD is actually built around the 38/1200 Loki Case, but the thought of dropping $125 on a case, and then even more on the motor made my college student mind cringe for a bit.

Huh I also didn't know that they were decertified (although it makes sense now that I think about it... and in light of certain new info).

Would it be possible to fly the motor as a research motor under Tripoli Rules? I'm just about to get my NAR Lv.2 Which will transfer to Tripoli Lv. 2 as well. I'm going to school out in Arizona, near a launch site that flies research motors all the time so if I could fly it as a research then I still have a launch site to fly at.

The real motor to use is the Loki K627 in the 38/1200 case. I flew one in a near MD at BALLS a couple of years ago. I've got a couple of them waiting for BALLS this year. As you know it's a L2 motor but since you are local and I have two of them, I'm sure we could work something out. As long as I get the hardware back, it would only be the cost of the reload.

Something to think about.

I do eventually want to want to try one of the J228's. Seems like a waste to not try at least one of them.

Tony

Last edited:
Back