Help Support RocketryForum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

OpenRocket Screen Tear

I am trying to use OpenRocket but the issue that I'm having is the screen tears to the point that nothing is readable. I'm on windows 10 with a Nvidia 1060, i7 6700k. I have made sure that all my drivers are up to date and I have the latest versions of Java and Silverlight and Flash. I have tried changing my resolution, refresh rate, only using one monitor and nothing makes any difference. Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OpenRocket Screen Tear.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	340227  

It's a Java/video driver issue in Windows 10. I haven't had that issue since a recent round of updates. I have different hardware though.

As was posted in a thread somewhere in here, there is a command line switch that will bypass the issue and everything will look normal.

I have a .bat file on my desktop which contains the following:
    C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath\java.exe -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false -jar C:\Rocketry\OpenRocket-15.03.jar

Of course you would change the path to where you personally have your OpenRocket .jar file located.

The key switch is the -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false

NAR L1 - Optima 3" upscale/CTI H133 @ NYPower 20, May 28, 2016
    My YouTube channel

Plano, TX
    Our friend neil_w has created a packaged installer for Openrocket that has gotten rave reviews:

May be worth a try here.

Randolph, NJ
    I'll be interested to hear if that addresses this particular problem.

Never had that problem, but that would seriously be annoying! Hope Cabernut's solution works for you.

John S. ---- NAR #96911 ---- TRA #15253 ---- MDRA #067 ---- BARC #028
    L1, 3/15/14: Aerotech Sumo, CTI H133BS
    L2, 6/21/14: Giant Leap Vertical Assault, CTI J240RL
    L3, 3/12/16: MAC Performance Radial Flyer, CTI M1101WH
    Altitude: 13,028', L3 flight; Speed: Mach ???, L3 flight

North Florida
    I had issues with the OR screen rendering correctly on my Surface Pro. Neil_w's installer fixed it and I haven't had any issues since.
    NAR# 103244
    Level 1 - PML AMRAAM 2
    Level 2 - Madcow Adventurer 3

Savannnah, Ga
    Jim Hendricksen
    L-3 Tripoli 9693
    [ICBM, Orangeburg,SC R.I.P.] - QCRS ,Princeton ILL - MDRA , Price Maryland - Woosh, Bong Wisconsin- ROCC, Charlotte NC , ICBM Camden SC
    "Made" member of Chicago & Carolina Rocket Mafia exact science.......but not exactly !!!

So the .exe file didn't help the issue at all, at least not with my default settings so I'm going to play around with those for a bit and see if I can get that to work. I'm not quite sure how to get the .bat file that Cabernut suggested. Not really sure how I'm supposed to set up the .bat file, I copied what he had but for the changed path to where I have my OR.

Weird. I've installed open rocket on many flash drives and it's ran on all Windows PC that had Java updates. Never seen anything that bad.

And all I did was move the .jar to a folder literally then double click.

North Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewJacob View Post
    ... Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

Can you provide a bit more info on your setup? Mainly what screen resolution is your display? It looks like HDPI. Have you tried:

* right-clicking on the .exe icon and choosing 'Run with graphics processor > Integrated graphics

* on the app Compatibility tab set the Compatibility mode to Windows 7

* tried the various Override high DPI scaling behavior settings

Any one or a combo of those have solved some issues on HDPI displays for me.

why do people put so much stuff in their sigs?

I have two monitors one, both 24" 1080p (1920 x 1080), one is using a DisplayPort cable and I'm currently using 60 Hz (turn it up to 144 when I play games). The other monitor is using HDMI same resolution and refresh rate. I have two other monitors at a different location that I transport my desktop to that are even high resolution and refresh rate (2560 x 1440 and 144 - 165 Hz) and I have the same problem. I have a surface book where it works fine (resolution is 3000 x 2000), that uses the gtx 960m. The only issue i've had is the text being small but running the .exe file fixes that issue.

I will attempt those suggestions and update this post after.

Thanks for the help guys.