OpenRocket Screen Tear

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewJacob

Reaction score
Hello,

I am trying to use OpenRocket but the issue that I'm having is the screen tears to the point that nothing is readable. I'm on windows 10 with a Nvidia 1060, i7 6700k. I have made sure that all my drivers are up to date and I have the latest versions of Java and Silverlight and Flash. I have tried changing my resolution, refresh rate, only using one monitor and nothing makes any difference. Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

Thanks,
Andrew

OpenRocket Screen Tear.jpg

It's a Java/video driver issue in Windows 10. I haven't had that issue since a recent round of updates. I have different hardware though.

As was posted in a thread somewhere in here, there is a command line switch that will bypass the issue and everything will look normal.

I have a .bat file on my desktop which contains the following:
C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath\java.exe -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false -jar C:\Rocketry\OpenRocket-15.03.jar

Of course you would change the path to where you personally have your OpenRocket .jar file located.

The key switch is the -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false

Never had that problem, but that would seriously be annoying! Hope Cabernut's solution works for you.

I had issues with the OR screen rendering correctly on my Surface Pro. Neil_w's installer fixed it and I haven't had any issues since.

So the .exe file didn't help the issue at all, at least not with my default settings so I'm going to play around with those for a bit and see if I can get that to work. I'm not quite sure how to get the .bat file that Cabernut suggested. Not really sure how I'm supposed to set up the .bat file, I copied what he had but for the changed path to where I have my OR.

Weird. I've installed open rocket on many flash drives and it's ran on all Windows PC that had Java updates. Never seen anything that bad.

And all I did was move the .jar to a folder literally then double click.

... Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

Thanks,
Andrew
Can you provide a bit more info on your setup? Mainly what screen resolution is your display? It looks like HDPI. Have you tried:

* right-clicking on the .exe icon and choosing 'Run with graphics processor > Integrated graphics

* on the app Compatibility tab set the Compatibility mode to Windows 7

* tried the various Override high DPI scaling behavior settings

Any one or a combo of those have solved some issues on HDPI displays for me.

Tony

I have two monitors one, both 24" 1080p (1920 x 1080), one is using a DisplayPort cable and I'm currently using 60 Hz (turn it up to 144 when I play games). The other monitor is using HDMI same resolution and refresh rate. I have two other monitors at a different location that I transport my desktop to that are even high resolution and refresh rate (2560 x 1440 and 144 - 165 Hz) and I have the same problem. I have a surface book where it works fine (resolution is 3000 x 2000), that uses the gtx 960m. The only issue i've had is the text being small but running the .exe file fixes that issue.

I will attempt those suggestions and update this post after.

Thanks for the help guys.

Back