AMW White Wolf 5.5" Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big_Red_Daddy

Reaction score
I haven't seen a build log for the AMW 5.5" White Wolf so here is mine. The kit is made by LOC Precision and was drop shipped by them after I ordered from AMW for Black Friday 2017.

From AMW website:
This high-performance 5.5in White Wolf is designed to use motors upto 54mm.
Kit comes complete with: Nose cone, Airframe, Laser cut Plywood fins, Centering rings, Shock cord, Parachute.

This baby howls like a wolf on launch

The motor size is incorrect. It's 75mm which is listed in the specs below and in the motor tube actually in the kit.

More from AMW website:
Features:
Pre-Slotted sturdy cardboard Airframe
Plywood Fins and Centering Rings
Injection Molded plastic Nose Cone
Parachute, cord

Specifications:
Length: 85.5"
Diameter 5.5"
Weight: 36oz
Motor Mount: 75mm x 34"
Fins: 6 plywood

Includes:
42" Slotted Booster
20" Payload
5.5 Long nosecone
25' Tubular Nylon
60" Parachute
3" x 34" MMT
Coupler
3 x 3/8" CR's
Bulkhead
1515 Rail Buttons

I am building this for my level 2 certification. I plan on flying it on a 54mm motor with an adapter. I built the model in RockSim and posted it to RocketReviews. It sims to 5000' on a 54mm K550W. Strangely, on a 75mm K560W, it sims to 7000'. Shouldn't they be much closer? Anyway, I think this will provide a nice level 2 certification and dual deployment opportunity.

I believe this kit is very similar in size/components/quality to the new LOC
5.5" Phoenix, although it is a bit of a budget kit with just the basics, no electronics bay or LOC nose weight system. Not bad for $200.
It did not come with the electronics bay but I purchased it separately from LOC. The kit came with a coupler tube and bulkhead.

This build will hopefully take me less than a month as I intend to fly it on April 7. I heard that Don Ball has built one of these but I haven't seen a build log or flight.

Here's a picture of the dry fit, next
to the 3" LOC Precision HyperLOC 300 which is about 5' tall (watch for a build on this one soon too).
2018-03-05%2018.18.50.jpg

Up next: components from the kit.

I like the fins on the White Wolf, should look awesome heading up on a White Lightning K!

The 75mm K560W is a nearly full K, with around 800Ns more juice in it that the K550W which is why you get the extra altitude. Nice to have a choice of either to fly in it. If you need to keep under lower waivers a 38mm J570 should also work with good starting thrust to get off the rail nice and quick but a 1sec shorter burn time and around 500Ns less total.

Thank you. I hadn't thought about the range of K being the difference. Still lots to learn. There is a 15,000 foot waiver at the ranch. This thing is a beast. Working a little every day. Will post more soon.

Just remember to leave the edges facing each other [back of front & front of back fin] alone & square.
This kit will whistle like crazy in flight if you do! It was designed to "scream" during flight.

Only bevel the leading edge of front fin & slightly round over back edge of rear, you will be amazed!

Good luck on your Cert flight, & have fun with this build.

Just remember to leave the edges facing each other [back of front & front of back fin] alone & square.
This kit will whistle like crazy in flight if you do! It was designed to "scream" during flight.

Only bevel the leading edge of front fin & slightly round over back edge of rear, you will be amazed!

Good luck on your Cert flight, & have fun with this build.

I beveled the fins with a jig that I made with some 1/2" plywood scraps. It's a close copy of John Coker's fin jig but I built it at 90º and determine the angle of the fin edge by the drop of the sanding table.
2017-12-30%2016.08.47.jpg

John's fin jig: https://www.jcrocket.com/finbevels.shtml

Here is the big fin with leading edge bevel. Only one pass through the sander is needed on each side.
2018-01-01%2013.57.59.jpg

You can see the AMW 1.6" White Wolf in the background. I flew it on an F10 and didn't hear a whistle. I think the motors are too loud to hear a whistle on the way up.

I beveled the fins with a jig that I made with some 1/2" plywood scraps. It's a close copy of John Coker's fin jig but I built it at 90º and determine the angle of the fin edge by the drop of the sanding table.

aRkZcco3TGOfBTkQG92Hj17LrNGAZez83CyqfNlQX-w

John's fin jig: https://www.jcrocket.com/finbevels.shtml

Here is the big fin with leading edge bevel. Only one pass through the sander is needed on each side.
ePZdZuJGAATxWqACdpJbgZZ50LsLRULnt_lwrj_rzlw

You can see the AMW 1.6" White Wolf in the background. I flew it on an F10 and didn't hear a whistle. I think the motors are too loud to hear a whistle on the way up.

I can't see the photos...hoping to as I really like the White Wolf!

Regarding whistle, you'll hear it best when the velocity is the greatest closest to ground. So...instead of an F10 that is a long burner which keeps the velocity low and burns until she's way up there, try something like an F85. The faster burners hit it hard and shut down early, so the coast phase is fast and low to the ground...that's when you'll hear the whistle...even with the 1.64" versions!

Enjoy and good luck!

Did you sim it based on the 36 oz? Seems kinda light for a 5.5" rocket and 85" tall. My Binder Raptor is 4", about 80" tall and my pad weight with a K550 was around 10 or 11 pounds. Altitude was about 5000 ft.

Did you sim it based on the 36 oz? Seems kinda light for a 5.5" rocket and 85" tall. My Binder Raptor is 4", about 80" tall and my pad weight with a K550 was around 10 or 11 pounds. Altitude was about 5000 ft.

That 36oz is way off; must have been from a different model and copied over. Various bad information is on the AMW website, including the motor mount of 54mm when it is really 75mm. I weighed all components and it's going to be over 10 pounds without the motor. My sim reflects this but of course I'll updated it at the end of the build.

Does this image show?

Yes, I can see it (stripped from reply to cut down on noise).

Love your 5.5" white wolf, and now behold its 1.6" (38mm) little brother:
White Wolf.jpg

I was planning on flying it in the winter, in snow, so painted it orange instead of white.
Consequently, it has hardly snowed this winter, though we are due for a foot tomorrow!

a

I can't see the photos...hoping to as I really like the White Wolf!

Regarding whistle, you'll hear it best when the velocity is the greatest closest to ground. So...instead of an F10 that is a long burner which keeps the velocity low and burns until she's way up there, try something like an F85. The faster burners hit it hard and shut down early, so the coast phase is fast and low to the ground...that's when you'll hear the whistle...even with the 1.64" versions!

Enjoy and good luck!

I am working on building a Mystic Buzz 4" split fin rocket for my L2. I was very tempted by this rocket, but the 75mm mount was too much for me. I am tempted to use a J420R or even a J825R with my because of the short burn so I can hear the whistle.

I also would strongly recommend marking the split edges with RED marker before you sand. This should help to ensure you don't accidentally round the wrong fin edge. Please don't ask me how I know this :sigh:

Look forward to seeing you build progress.

View attachment 340267

I was planning on flying it in the winter, in snow, so painted it orange instead of white.
Consequently, it has hardly snowed this winter, though we are due for a foot tomorrow!

a

I flew the little White Wolf on an F10 to 2200'. Here is a video with slomo. https://www.dropbox.com/s/eixokr81gp9jpsm/2018-02-03 13.39.10-1.mov?dl=0
Does it come up if you click the link?

The last link and picture in the last post work for me. Size really hits you when you stand it up indoors!

The last link and picture in the last post work for me. Size really hits you when you stand it up indoors!

Awesome. It's amazing what you can learn if you Google the problem. Had to manually change a few things at the end of my links. Let me go back and edit my posts for the pictures.

Photos showing at the top now?
Here's a photo comparing the 1.6" and 5.5" White Wolf fins:
2017-12-28%2015.54.05.jpg

View attachment 340267

a

Shouldn't that be "Orange Wolf?" :p

I am also converting the AMW 1.6" fiberglass Purple Parrot kit to a White Wolf by changing the fins. It sims to 8000' on an I200W at Mach 1.25. Eggtimer Mini in the nose cone for GPS tracking. I'll post more about that one later.

Finally working on this kit again. Should have it finished in a week or two. Made some changes after I put the MMT together. Decided to slide it down toward the aft end to put the middle CR between the fins, and shorten the MMT. Also drilled some holes in the center MMT and will be pouring in some 2-part expanding polyurethane foam from TAP Plastics. Anyone else built the 5.5" White Wolf? I haven't seen any posts.
2019-01-27%2016.56.06.jpg

Yes, I have been following him and talking to him about it. You must be the other half of Sky Pyrates. White Wolf/Sky Wolf is the best rocket design ever. I have LOC working on a 7.5" version for my L3.

I'm going to foam the fin can. I drilled some holes near the root of the fin. Didn't want to weaken it with too many holes but I want a place for the foam to flow and lock the fin in. Not sure it's necessary but it seemed like a good idea.

2019-01-28%2022.50.04.jpg

Back