Fellow gamers. I think im on the track to building the ultimate gamer set up. (video)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeez some of you guys got some beastly computers. Makes me want to update.

Kallahan11 - how do you like that HOTAS/pedal set. I mostly bought the x55 rhino because it looked cool. It’s great but has no pedals.

gSync 144hz 1080p
geForce Titan
i7 5930k
64Gb
raid0 sata ssds

I'll replace the CPU & GPU plus throw in some NVME when something needs it, haven't gotten the itch lately.

I guess the real question here is, since world of tanks is free and everyone computer can handle it, when do we start a TRF clan?

I guess the real question here is, since world of tanks is free and everyone computer can handle it, when do we start a TRF clan?

I think I am already done with World of Tanks. Played about 12 battles and the teams I was on won only 1 or 2 of them. I did manage 1 kill in all of those games. I got the final shot on a badly damaged tank. The games are just rush in and shoot; no strategy that I can see. The battles last 5 minutes or less. I much prefer World of Warships where I can at least survive long enough to do some damage. Depending on the ship I take I usually end up in top three.

Kallahan11 - how do you like that HOTAS/pedal set. I mostly bought the x55 rhino because it looked cool. It’s great but has no pedals.
It's alright, but I should warn you, there was a period of time where Saitek was owned by Madcatz and the quality of those versions of the X52 are questionable/trash. If you get one get a new Logitech one, they seem to have increased build quality. The only two things I don't like are the weak return spring on the joystick with no way to adjust it really and the thumb mouse on the throttle is too small pointy and hard. The rudder pedals are alright for plastic, the only issue with them I have are other games picking up their input as a directional input, but I just unplug them from the hub when I'm not flight simming.

Last edited:
I think I am already done with World of Tanks. Played about 12 battles and the teams I was on won only 1 or 2 of them. I did manage 1 kill in all of those games. I got the final shot on a badly damaged tank. The games are just rush in and shoot; no strategy that I can see. The battles last 5 minutes or less. I much prefer World of Warships where I can at least survive long enough to do some damage. Depending on the ship I take I usually end up in top three.
Low tier is like that a bit, but the game has a vertical learning curve and no good tutorial. Tier 5 is unfortunately where the game gets good, where your heavy tanks have enough armor to bounce shots reliably if you angle correctly, your mediums can flank, you lights can scout effectively, your tank destroyers can kemp bush, and your artillery can go to hell.

The maps get better at higher tiers too.

Low tier is like that a bit, but the game has a vertical learning curve and no good tutorial. Tier 5 is unfortunately where the game gets good, where your heavy tanks have enough armor to bounce shots reliably if you angle correctly, your mediums can flank, you lights can scout effectively, your tank destroyers can kemp bush, and your artillery can go to hell.

The maps get better at higher tiers too.

Kallahan is correct. The problem with low tier battles is that is where all the beginners/noobs/play once in a blue moon players reside. So there will almost never be anything close to a team strategy. At higher tiers, about 40% of the battles play out like the lower tiers. In those cases, your goal should be to garner as much experience as possible by spotting, dealing damage, capping enemy base or resetting enemy capping your base, before you get fragged. I've had tier 8, 9 and 10 matches last less then 4 minutes :(

Oh and for the record, I have 34K+ battles under my belt, and I still only consider myself a mid-level player.

Mine is so much simpler than most

HP Z840
  • 2X Xeon E5-2630 v3
  • 128GB DDR3
  • 2TB SSD (1 TB x 2 mirrored)
  • 250GB ZTurbo drive
  • Quadro P4000 GPU
  • 2 X 27" IPS displays
  • Audio is JBL LS305 studio monitors
  • Cheapo keyboard & mouse

128 GB RAM ain't that shabby.... that's impressive.

How's the P4000 for CAD? I'm going to eventually get a better GPU (sporting a 750TI at the moment) for CAD work.

Played WoT Blitz on ipad for a long long time, as my old laptop would not handle WoT. Now since I have a new system, started playing it. Tooo bad I cant import all my tanks for WoT Blitz... having to start all over... bleh. On occasion get my brother to play, who I got started while showing him Blitz, but he played WoT, so he has pretty much everything. I am working down the German line again, just cuz I have to have my Tiger Tank!

Also like that I can take a break from homework and give myself 3 games then back to homework.

WoT is much better than WoT Blitz, just for that reason, Blitz - everyone just rushes in with 7 players, WoT 15 players and larger maps, allows more time to set up ambushes and when using teamspeak with my brother, work together. It just got a huge update, more maps, new graphics, and such. Have been taking the Tiger and Leopard out for a little drive today...

Back