RF interference from 'metallic' paints.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another observation: I flew a Big Red Bee 900 MHz in a plastic nose cone painted with Rustoleum "Metallic" (silver). Now, the payload bay for the tracker is mostly in the unpainted shoulder, so perhaps the paint effect was thus minimal. I received packets all the way to 10,000' apogee and then to 4'000 horizontal to last reported position before touchdown.

Another observation: I flew a Big Red Bee 900 MHz in a plastic nose cone painted with Rustoleum "Metallic" (silver). Now, the payload bay for the tracker is mostly in the unpainted shoulder, so perhaps the paint effect was thus minimal. I received packets all the way to 10,000' apogee and then to 4'000 horizontal to last reported position before touchdown.

Means the paint had minimal effects on the 33cm band/900Mhz and 250mW output. Did you do a ground range test prior to flying that way in the past? If not, you lucked out but it's working so you should be in good shape. Kurt

Cool. Thanks, Kurt.

Are those LED's in the charge terminals just there for testing the electronics?

Are you planning on stuffing the L2050 into that rocket? Is it a 3" diameter? Even at 3" diameter, wouldn't that configuration be kinda scary with that motor, having 2 breaks above the end of the case on a skinny rocket? I have that 54 / 4000 motor casing, it is one of the things I have been thinking about quite a bit in the past few months, in rocketry projects.

Yes on the LED's and 3". I doctored a Wildman Rocket. Bought from Tim along with extra tubing when the rocket was on sale many moons ago. The sustainer is two pieces of tubing with a substantial coupler with Cotronics Duralco 4525b epoxy so it's solid. I did use a coupler thrust block in the upper sustainer as there is no switchband to carry the ebay loads. I had to notch the tubes if you look closely at the switch. I'll not do that again although I did it with a Dominator 4 shortly built thereafter. (Too much trouble but the keyswitch is partially recessed so it does look a bit cleaner.) The rocket went to 10k on a Loki L1400 in the 2800ns case. I was concerned but the thing went arrow straight though I used a liberal forward CG as I've read that Barrowman equations can be a little off with long-necked rockets. : https://argoshpr.ch/joomla1/articles/pdf/sentinel39-galejs.pdf

I have little doubt the construction could handle an M motor. I used the Duralco 4525b, a longer motor tube too and 5 centering rings all slathered in with 4525b. Actually overkill for the then available L motors but I was young and stupid. There is one break at apogee and one break at the nosecone.

Actually, I think there are people who have successfully flown the L2050 and M1378 in true minimum diameter projects. They go high. Kurt

Back